CO or NM Elk Hunt recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CO or NM Elk Hunt recommendations

I have gone on a few DIY, grab your OTC tag and head in to the wilderness elk hunts in Colorado now. Went to the Weminuche (sp?) near creede and hiked in for 15 miles to set up camp. Then spent a little over a week moving up and down drainages looking for the ole' wapiti- I got whooped. Would hear bugles in the morning and evening, fresh sign everywhere...but never really even caught a glimpse of an elk. So, I say all that to make myself feel a little less guilty for asking this- I really really want to kill a bull. I know its hunting and I know it supposed to take years and years so here is what I am asking.

Are there any good ranches in CO or NM where I could go and shoot a bull even if its high fence? I know its not like doing it on your own and it won't be as satisfying knowing the hunt was completely fair chase but I really want to kill a decent bull on a elk hunt. If I am going to spend that much on private land or a landowner tag anyway I want to make almost positive sure I come home with a bull. Any ideas .... I have sent emails to bull basin ranch and thats all the inquiring that I have done thus far. When they said 100% guarantee on shot opportunity I thought there might be other places similar as well that someone lazy like me may have been to and had a good hunt and experience in the mountains

Comment

will check that out

Comment

Well, if all you want to do is shoot livestock then hang it on the wall, there a lot of places in the Hill Country you can get that done. Depending on your budget, there are some free range elk in Texas that can get awful big for not real bad prices either. Would be a cool story too with it being a Texas elk. Let me make some calls on ranch names.

Comment

When you put it like that But i reckon that would be what it was. And I will check out the leads you give me- I do want it to look, smell and sound like elk country though-

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
            I have gone on a few DIY, grab your OTC tag and head in to the wilderness elk hunts in Colorado now. Went to the Weminuche (sp?) near creede and hiked in for 15 miles to set up camp.
            How the heck did you get a tag for 76?

Comment

But my suggestion would be to keep hunting public land (or even low fence private) and go with a guide. Use horses if you want it to be easier. It sure won't be 100% success rate though. Going somewhere with 100% success isn't how I'd like to kill my first bull elk, especially in a state like Colorado. If you want it to look and smell and feel like an elk hunt, then go on an elk hunt

Comment

This - let me know if you need specifics and I can get you hooked up with someone.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                  How the heck did you get a tag for 76?
                  It wasnt unit 76 it was OTC tags ---

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
                    It wasnt unit 76 it was OTC tags ---
                    lol if it was in the Weminuche Wilderness in another unit it wasn't very close to Creede.

Comment

lol if it was in the Weminuche Wilderness in another unit it wasn't very close to Creede.
                      True, the guy that let us use horses and went with us lives in Creede, we stayed there the first night and then drove out in the morning and hit the trail head several miles away. From there we hiked in a good 15 miles through a lot of burnt timber. We saw several groups while there on horseback pass by our camp. Not the most encouraging when elk hunting

Comment

Some of the Weminuche is not very far from Creede. Go through Creede to the cut off for the Rio Grande Campground. Park at 31 Mile Campground and take the Weminuche Trail to the south until you pass over the Continental Divide and then you are in Unit 751. I hunted that unit for over 20 years and know the are well.

As far as the poster that said if all you want to do is to shoot livestock, the high fence place I hunted in CO was not a walk out and shoot type of place. The elk we hunted were very, very spooky and very hard to get close to on foot. Unfortunately the manager lost the place last year. I still do not understand why you would say "if all you want to do is shoot livestock". Not needed on this post. This is not what the OP ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          Some of the Weminuche is not very far from Creede. Go through Creede to the cut off for the Rio Grande Campground. Park at 31 Mile Campground and take the Weminuche Trail to the south until you pass over the Continental Divide and then you are in Unit 751. I hunted that unit for over 20 years and know the are well.

As far as the poster that said if all you want to do is to shoot livestock, the high fence place I hunted in CO was not a walk out and shoot type of place. The elk we hunted were very, very spooky and very hard to get close to on foot. Unfortunately the manager lost the place last year. I still do not understand why you would say "if all you want to do is shoot livestock". Not needed on this post. This is not what the OP ask for.

That may have been exactly what we did.... I think we camped on the divide and then would cross over each day and hunt in the unit we could hunt in...

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post

To play devil's advocate, he did say he wanted a 100% place. The place you describe doesn't sound like a 100% success hunt.

Comment

But my suggestion would be to keep hunting public land (or even low fence private) and go with a guide. Use horses if you want it to be easier. It sure won't be 100% success rate though. Going somewhere with 100% success isn't how I'd like to kill my first bull elk, especially in a state like Colorado. If you want it to look and smell and feel like an elk hunt, then go on an elk hunt
                              I like this, IMO and no experience JMO-you could likely do two or three guided public land hunts for the cost of a guaranteed hunt.

Trying to draw in the better units with a guide would be my approach.

Comment

Working...
                              X