Buddhism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    I don’t comment on this type of thread much as I get told how I am wrong. I have friends from all kinds of belief systems and religious beliefs. I don’t 100% agree with any. I do see value in most that I have discussed. I try to lead a positive life and help others. I believe if a person is doing this there is no way they are in the wrong and you can put whatever “title” on them you want. I think we could all do a better job of being a better neighbor, father, son
    I'm not going to say you're wrong..

But I will say

Drivel drivel

Comment

I don’t comment on this type of thread much as I get told how I am wrong. I have friends from all kinds of belief systems and religious beliefs. I don’t 100% agree with any. I do see value in most that I have discussed. I try to lead a positive life and help others. I believe if a person is doing this there is no way they are in the wrong and you can put whatever “title” on them you want. I think we could all do a better job of being a better neighbor, father, son
      Good stuff

Comment

I absolutely love TBH and have learned more than I can imagine reading all the posts daily. I don't post much and certainly stay away from volatile or polarizing conversations that people can't discuss without offending. Regardless, I found myself trying to refrain from posting as I read this but anyway...

OP, while I have not studied nor read much about Buddhism, I have known a few people who did and it certainly intrigued me. I hope you find more information on the topic and utilize it however you need or see fit for yourself.

For the rest of the posts...Our Bill Of Rights gave us the first two amendments. Freedom of religion and the right to bear arms. Why do so many believe and argue for the right to bear arms but not defend or honor the right to have the freedom to believe whatever religion you choose? Seems odd to me. No need to try and influence others in that way IMO.
        People come from all walks of life and beliefs, and it just doesn't seem right to judge people for that or try to influence them to take on your beliefs. I respect anyone's position to believe anything that they would like to believe as it is such a personal, deep rooted thing that I just don't feel it is my business to get involved.

Comment

So when is good enough....good enough?

How long or how much effort until,I arrive as the best neighbor, father or some?

Can I loose that status?

Is being a good neighbor father son the end all?

Our universe demands a closer inspection, IMHO.

The Kalam. Cosmological Arguement explains it in a way that fro me, demands a closer look.

Comment

Buddhist thought for the day:

Perception follows judgement

Comment

I went to a Buddhist Monastery for 3 years. The experience was great. We were there taking meditation classes. At the end they would say please have some snack and come back for The Darma. The whole thing was a help for me to get an inside glimpses of another belief. That said, The major flaw is, no Jesus.

Comment

Death from Above-

I can answer your question with an example

I recently towed someone by boat about 6 miles. They were dead in water. They offered $$$ and I declined. Was I a good neighbor? Sure thought I was. After some thought no I could have been a better neighbor. I hit the throttles and drove off. I could have helped trailer and made sure they had water etc. So the answer to your above question. - Every one of us have the ability to always strive to be a better father, son, neighbor

Comment

Jesus Christ c'mon Saturday!!!
                  Y'all are still going on about this?

Just love, live and let live.

Comment

So there have been maybe 10 out of 353 post that actually relate to the OP. Some of yall need to learn what respect is and clearly how to read. The OP asked for for this not to be derailed by "Christians" yet thats all 99% of ppl on this thread have done.

So for you all that cant read and respect the request of the OP to keep your opinions to yourself i have created the below thread where you can go and talk off subject all you want!!!

Enjoy

Now can we actually have a conversation that related to what the OP asked. Some of us actually like to hear other views without and have a open intelligent conversation without if being hijacked and ripped off topic.

Comment

Pretty much the only relevant post about the OP

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                      Vipassana
                      Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                      https://www.artofliving.org/us-en/woodlands#Courses

Vipassana is very intense at 10 days
                      The above group does 3 day "intro" courses before you are allowed to take a more intense 7/10 day course.

They are both (pretty much all yoga) is based on Anapanasati so are similar in nature.

You are in Kingwood so the above link is local to you.

Namaste.
                      Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                      My understanding is that the 8 fold path is pretty important. Seems to me that you find a lot of the same themes in other religions.
                      Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      Ok so what is Buddhism? We all know what Christianity is and what everyone and their dogs interpretation of it is but what is Buddhism? All I know,or think I know about it is you meditate and believe in reincarnation if you practice Buddhism. But what exactly is it? What determines what you're reborn as after you die?
                      Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      If there is a satan.

Serious? This is a thread about Buddhism but you don't want people to ask about it? Geez

Thanks for the reply. So I sort of get the why. Makes since to look for peace. Now how about how? And do you believe in reincarnation? Is there a budda god that helps or is it just men in temples learning to have peace?

These are serious questions BTW. I really have no clue and want to know.
                      Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                      Is this what that thread was about? If you have time here are some links. This man in the videos; Alan Watts, was probably the most learned westerner of eastern philosophies. I am no expert and would bet that not another person living or dead can explain to westerners such as ourselves the lessons of Buddha.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXt...F62w_&index=12
                      Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                      Another lesson that I really like and is sooooooo applicable to todays society. Dont dismiss it just because its Joe Rogan lol. He didnt come up with this on his own, just regurgitating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fgEK-Ksis4
                      Originally posted by elgato View Post
                      Buddhist thought for the day:

Perception follows judgement
                      Originally posted by Timemachine View Post
                      I went to a Buddhist Monastery for 3 years. The experience was great. We were there taking meditation classes. At the end they would say please have some snack and come back for The Darma. The whole thing was a help for me to get an inside glimpses of another belief. That said, The major flaw is, no Jesus.

Comment

This is part of what makes me an agnostic.

So a person can murder and rape yet ask for forgiveness while in prison and go to heaven yet a person that lives a good life, never goes to jail and helps others goes to hell because he doesn't believe the words in a book...

I'm not buying it.

Also, the whole god has a plan. Well, if his plan is for children to have cancer and die young yet Charles Manson lives to be old...…..he needs a new plan cause his sucks.

Comment

See Bob. Why I don’t comment. You could be a better neighbor right now. Why put something up to offend some people or their beliefs. I respect yours and my personal beliefs are different but I’m not going to comment or say yours are wrong or call anything stupid dumb or unreasonable.

Comment

Right on Glen

Comment

I dont see how Bob's recent post is offensive, but maybe that is because I am not a Christian. All he did was state why he is agnostic and does not believe in Christianity.

I have been told I am going to hell most of my life because I did not and do not believe that Jesus is the messiah; so maybe I have just learned to have a thicker skin then most.

Comment

Poor Bob...

Comment

Working...
                                X