Recovered Bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
    I would expect more weight retention out a bigger bullet. I was impressed on the amount of damage, with breaking the opposite leg and still having a bullet to find for such a small round.

I don’t know a lot about guns and bullets but outside of a copper bullet, I thought the Fusion did its job under the circumstances.

I’ve heard the ballistic tips/hollow points tend to explode and fragment faster and don’t do as good on Bone with smaller calibers.

They advertise it as high weight retention...and Im glad it did it’s job. I have not been that impressed with it. I have shot a hand full of yotes with it out of my 10.5” AR. Only one dropped in its tracks from a heart shot at about 175yards. The rest while all fine shots ran about 100 yards. Maybe my hopes are to high for a 223 round taking down a yote but I’m gonna experiment with Varmint bullets and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
      https://www.federalpremium.com/produ...ds/fusion.aspx

They advertise it as high weight retention...and Im glad it did it’s job. I have not been that impressed with it. I have shot a hand full of yotes with it out of my 10.5” AR. Only one dropped in its tracks from a heart shot at about 175yards. The rest while all fine shots ran about 100 yards. Maybe my hopes are to high for a 223 round taking down a yote but I’m gonna experiment with Varmint bullets and see what happens.
      For Deer size and up I have had good luck the Federal Fusion out of the 243.

For small critters like yotes, I wouldn’t use a bonded bullet. I would guess a more quick expanding bullet would be more ideal...Those varmit rounds/ballistic tips are nasty.

Comment

I agree 100%. That’s what I was getting at earlier...poor bullet selection on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          Do you remember the details on the one on the far right, and 3rd from right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Barnes tsx. 308 & barnes tsx 280 AI. Good weight retention but thats it...
          All the middle are nosler and the far lefts are cor-lokts

Comment

I shoot high shoulder or point of the shoulder shots and very seldom get any pass thru with .270 Corelokt or .223 55 PSP. With the .270 they usually are on the offside just under the skin. If I kept them all I would have a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of them by this point in my life. So if or after I do look at them I just toss them in the gut bucket

Comment

The terminal ballistics arguments of pass through vs expending all energy in the critter is as heated and old as what is the best deer cartridge. I enjoy copious blood trails and I enjoy recovering bullets to see how they do. Like sierracharlie I love terminal performance. Red Raider some of those are big bullets! I like.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                The terminal ballistics arguments of pass through vs expending all energy in the critter is as heated and old as what is the best deer cartridge. I enjoy copious blood trails and I enjoy recovering bullets to see how they do. Like sierracharlie I love terminal performance. Red Raider some of those are big bullets! I like.
                Its fun to find them, weigh them, and compare... i have become a firm believer in cor-loks for anything under 200 yds. Proper grain of course for game hunted. Loss of accuracy with corlokts past 200 due to lead tip deformation. Perfect round would pass through animal and somehow get stuck in opposite side hair so i get double blood trail but can still find bullet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                  Shoot them in the base of the neck and this debate is moot.

It is still about shot placement and work done through energy tansfer.

Saw one live from that shot. Did not expand and did minimal work!while miraculously missing anything vital. Animal went down, but came alive when we were tying the hooves to wry it out.

Comment

You wouldn't think it but I've emptied a .243 on a coyote,hit it every time and still had to finish it off with a .22 pistol. Even in a .243 I'd prefer fragmenting bullets for coyotes. I can assure you 100 grain softpoints don't expand well on a coyote. Those suckers were zipping through him like full metal jackets.

But then again I was only about 50 to 60 yards from him. Every time I'd hit him I'd hear those bullets ricochet.
                    Last edited by okrattler; 11-28-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                      I pulled a .257 Weatherby bullet out of a doe in Oklahoma last week. 100yrd shot, I was really surprised it did not pass through. It was quartering away and I hit a bunch of ribs and shoulder and it was lodged under the skin on the opposite side. Fell out as I was skinning it. Will try to remember to take a pic tonight.

Here’s mine from last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

. Two I have handy, .54 cal hornady Great Plains bullet, 6 point bull elk. .243 from a 5 point bull elk. ( 100 gr. nosler partition)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yeah but

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          You wouldn't think it but I've emptied a .243 on a coyote,hit it every time and still had to finish it off with a .22 pistol. Even in a .243 I'd prefer fragmenting bullets for coyotes. I can assure you 100 grain softpoints don't expand well on a coyote. Those suckers were zipping through him like full metal jackets.

But then again I was only about 50 to 60 yards from him. Every time I'd hit him I'd hear those bullets ricochet.
                          I would have been giggling every time I shot him! Despise those suckas!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                            I would have been giggling every time I shot him! Despise those suckas!!!!
                            All I know is shooting 5 rounds out of a short barreled .243 in rapid succession without ear plugs in made hearing for the rest of the day a difficult task.lol

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                              All I know is shooting 5 rounds out of a short barreled .243 in rapid succession without ear plugs in made hearing for the rest of the day a difficult task.lol
                              I got 1 word for you.........SUPPRESSORS.............

Comment

Wish I could find it, somewhere I have a 180 grain swift sciracco bullet from a 12 point I shot at 100 yards with a 300 Rum. Bullet went through both shoulders and was pressing through skin on opposite side. Was completely flattened out and a little bigger than a nickle.

Comment

Working...
                                X