Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Shortening synthetic shotgun LOP quandary

I need to shorten the LOP on my semi-auto Benelli M1 20 synthetic stock by about an inch so it matches my 725 OU I had fitted 2 years ago. With all the rain we had this past dove season and past seasons, I want my foul weather backup gun to fit me better.

So.... do I pay a gunsmith $135 plus fuel x2 (dropoff and pickup )on a 2 hour round trip to shorten the LOP/add recoil pad

Or

Do I buy the belt sander, recoil pad, and pad jig for similar money and learn to do it myself for future pads that need to be replaced or done. And still have the belt sander and pad holding jig for that and other projects.

I’m a DIY type guy on most things but the gun thing is a little intimidating... YouTube makes it look easy but I’m not so sure. Not only would I need to cut the stock down I would need to grind a grind-to-fit recoil pad down to fit the new buttstock size. I already have the miter saw with a fine blade for the cutoff....

How many have done this? What would you do?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

I can do it, but I learned on much cheaper guns than a benelli that's for sure!!

Its definitely doable for you. It's all in the clamping and setup for the cut. The grind to fit pad is all about the jig, patience and lubrication.

Just made sure you get the cut right on the stock. Having to buy another recoil pad because you ground off too much isn't a big deal.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

wow, you really are short...do you stand on your tippy toes to help reach the birds

what is your LOP, 13.5"??

Those M1's have a following, I would be inclined to save the original stock to keep original if indeed in minty condition. Not sure how hard it would be to find a 2nd.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
wow, you really are short...do you stand on your tippy toes to help reach the birds

what is your LOP, 13.5"??

Those M1's have a following, I would be inclined to save the original stock to keep original if indeed in minty condition. Not sure how hard it would be to find a 2nd.

It's not about height...it's about bulk....but yes...13.5 ish....

Very, very hard to find a 2nd stock in the 20....and they are very expensive if you can. Plus it is dipped. This gun isn't going anywhere before I do so I'm not worried about any market or resale.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbustr View Post
I can do it, but I learned on much cheaper guns than a benelli that's for sure!!

Its definitely doable for you. It's all in the clamping and setup for the cut. The grind to fit pad is all about the jig, patience and lubrication.

Just made sure you get the cut right on the stock. Having to buy another recoil pad because you ground off too much isn't a big deal.

Good info...thank you.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Larry Potterfield has videos on youtube or on Midways website.

I dont know the structure of the M1 stock either.

Depending how much it gets shortened you need to see how it will affect the points where the screws attach to the stock.

Also if you cut off a lot it can affect structural integrity and may require fill.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young

Lets revisit this as I am really about to make the plunge myself because my stock guy had some medical issues that caused him to have to retire. I debated and debated but I have bought the tools to do the cut and recoil pad grind now (except the recoil pad jig) after having to go to my wet weather gun again this year a couple of times. I have watched a ton of youtube videos and I think I'm ready to jump off in it. The Kick-Eez recoil pad will line up with the top screw and the middle screw right on the nose so I'm not worried about them. The screw holes have a bout 2" of depth too. But it looks like the integrity of the stock will go away if I cut off the full 3/4" (now) I wanted. Just looking at these pics I can knock off about 5/8" before I hit the internal support ring inside. Would yall do that or take off the full amount and use a fill of some type? My miter saw is a new 10" 80T blade for the cutoff. I will jig and clamp it to keep it in place. Here are some pics of the stock...

Name:  IMG_0160.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0159.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0157.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1695.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  60.9 KB
Old 10-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #8
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

If you have to cut off all of the support areas for the screws, you can rebuild them with JB weld and then drill new holes for the pad screws. I've done that a couple times when cutting down stocks for kids. Pour one support at a time with the JB Weld, keeping the pour end down while it dries. Then flip it over and pour the other one. It won't look as pretty as the factory support, obviously, but it'll hold the screws and keep the pad in place.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 10:11 PM   #9
Tommyh
Pope & Young

Boyds gun stocks has good diy videos on the youtubes,, and i need to do it to my new rifle stock. This guy makes a jig and explains it simply.

https://youtu.be/VM13KDNahJo
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 11:17 PM   #10
trophy8
Pope & Young

Take it to the smith man. If he messes it up it’s on him. If you do then you get to buy a new stock AND pay the smith haha
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #11
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Take it to the smith man. If he messes it up it’s on him. If you do then you get to buy a new stock AND pay the smith haha

Read further....my smith no longer does them due to heath issues and the other one I talked to doesn't do synthetic stocks because they don't like to jack with them.

Last edited by Smart; 10-22-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #12
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
Boyds gun stocks has good diy videos on the youtubes,, and i need to do it to my new rifle stock. This guy makes a jig and explains it simply.

https://youtu.be/VM13KDNahJo

That's where I got my idea for a jig....great tip video..
Old 10-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #13
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
If you have to cut off all of the support areas for the screws, you can rebuild them with JB weld and then drill new holes for the pad screws. I've done that a couple times when cutting down stocks for kids. Pour one support at a time with the JB Weld, keeping the pour end down while it dries. Then flip it over and pour the other one. It won't look as pretty as the factory support, obviously, but it'll hold the screws and keep the pad in place.

I have plenty of screw area length and support. I just think if I go past the ring, I lose some stock support. I think anyway

Last edited by Smart; 10-22-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #14
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I have plenty of screw area length and support. I just think if I go past the ring, I lose some stock support. I think anyway

I think you will be fine if you build back the support with JB Weld or Devcon machinable epoxy.

Synthetic stocks are a major PIA to shorten!
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #15
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

J...maybe hold off till you get to you fighting weight if it’s the bulk causing the lop??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #16
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Don’t worry too much about losing the stock support if it seems weak/soft after you cut it make a support I have used 1/2 inch plywood put a couple good coats of paint on it and glue it in place
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #17
Lung Shooter
Four Point

Hunt In: Runnels county

I've cut down a few over the last few years, my recommendation is to build a barrier 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch down and fill the entire end of the stick with JB weld for plastic. Depending on what pad you are going with their is a chance your screw holes are not going to line up. By filling the entire end you add more support and can put screws wherever they need to go.
Lung Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #18
txagyotebuster
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung Shooter View Post
I've cut down a few over the last few years, my recommendation is to build a barrier 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch down and fill the entire end of the stick with JB weld for plastic. Depending on what pad you are going with their is a chance your screw holes are not going to line up. By filling the entire end you add more support and can put screws wherever they need to go.

I like this idea. Would be easy to do with some modeling clay. Then it absolutely wouldn't matter where the screw holes are in the new pad.
txagyotebuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 12:27 AM   #19
Tommyh
Pope & Young

Quote:
That's where I got my idea for a jig....great tip video..
What about backfilling with expandable foam? We arent talking About the structural integrity of a bldg here. May dampen recoil noise 😬
Old 10-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #20
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
What about backfilling with expandable foam? We arent talking About the structural integrity of a bldg here. May dampen recoil noise

I have to be able to access the buttstock bolt/nut to tighten it in case it gets loose .... or loosen it to get to the recoil spring in case it gets dirty or need replacing.

Last edited by Smart; 10-23-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #21
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung Shooter View Post

Luckily my new kickeez grind to fit buttstock holes will match up. I do need to still be able to access the buttstock nut and Benelli inertia recoil spring inside the buttstock. I guess if I absolutely have to fill it, I could place a piece of pvc in it large enough to get a socket down to it.

Last edited by Smart; 10-23-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #22
FVR JR
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

Find another gunsmith to do it, no sense in jerry rigging something you plan on keeping.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #23
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
Find another gunsmith to do it, no sense in jerry rigging something you plan on keeping.
What kind of magic do you suppose a gunsmith would be able to work on a job like this? How would he solve the problem?
Old 10-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #24
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have to be able to access the buttstock bolt/nut to tighten it in case it gets loose .... or loosen it to get to the recoil spring in case it gets dirty or need replacing.

Block off, fill with JB and then drill access hole for stock bolt.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #25
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:

Put a small piece of PVC pipe(1Ē diameter or less)over the nut and out the end of the stock. Secure it in place and then spray foam around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #26
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post

I'm 0-4 right now.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #27
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Block off, fill with JB and then drill access hole for stock bolt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Put a small piece of PVC pipe(1Ē diameter or less)over the nut and out the end of the stock. Secure it in place and then spray foam around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks gentlemen...
Old 10-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #28
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks gentlemen...

Keep us updated, I have a buddy I need to the same for
Old 10-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #29
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Just dig around till you find a youth stock if at all possible. Not many gunsmiths will even attempt this Jason. Talked to a few before. One did tell me he could try gluing a piece of wood in the stock to fasten screws & nut to gun recoil spring tube. Iffy at best.You could try that & put the sling swivel stud in the wood to help hold it in place..
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #30
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Just dig around till you find a youth stock if at all possible. Not many gunsmiths will even attempt this Jason. Talked to a few before. One did tell me he could try gluing a piece of wood in the stock to fasten screws & nut to gun recoil spring tube. Iffy at best.You could try that & put the sling swivel stud in the wood to help hold it in place..

David... I have looked. That was my first avenue I went down. Then I looked for an adult replacement stock in case I screwed it up.. . They don't even make the adult synthetic butt stocks for the M-1 20 anymore that I can find.

Seems pretty straight forward for a fairly mechanically inclined guy like myself. But I'm always a little hesitant tearing into a gun.

I've also considered selling it and just buying an A400 with a synthetic stock, a spare youth stock and then grind down a thicker kick-eez if I need to add to the youth stock.

Last edited by Smart; 10-23-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:28 PM   #31
Smart
Pope & Young

scratch that....$340 for the 12 ga stock... no telling what the youth 20 is.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #32
DEADEYE1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county
Default Stock

With a Username of SMART you got this
Start cutting and let us know how it turns out
DEADEYE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #33
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
With a Username of SMART you got this
Start cutting and let us know how it turns out

Hahahahaha.....God has a good sense of humor giving me that last name..

Thank you fellas for giving some ideas/opinions!
Old 10-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #34
CTR0022
Ten Point

Do you think you could find a guy to make you a wood stock for it? You would just need cheap wood bc I would assume you would just end up dipping it in the same camo pattern.

May be the way to go, there is no way I'd cut that synthetic stock.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #35
CTR0022
Ten Point

https://youtu.be/jLLnGM3DXE0
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #36
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
Do you think you could find a guy to make you a wood stock for it? You would just need cheap wood bc I would assume you would just end up dipping it in the same camo pattern.

May be the way to go, there is no way I'd cut that synthetic stock.

Trying to stay synthetic to keep it more for a rainy day. I shoot a fitted O/U in good weather. If its nice the M-1 stays in the truck
Old 10-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #37
Tommyh
Pope & Young

The sooner you do it, the more confident ill be ��
Old 10-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #38
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
The sooner you do it, the more confident ill be ��

Waiting on the dang recoil pad. uPS is pissing me off
Old 10-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #39
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Hope this turns out great for ya Jason.

After buying it in Sept 2019, and only firing 3 shells through it, I just got my A400 Plus broke in last weekend, all at one time. 2 full boxes of clays and 8 boxes of shells. I did have some help though . I just haven't had an opportunity to get out much. That's gonna change in Nov 14th.

Edit: Forgot to add your smiley face.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-25-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #40
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Hope this turns out great for ya Jason.

After buying it in Sept 2019, and only firing 3 shells through it, I just got my A400 Plus broke in last weekend, all at one time. 2 full boxes of clays and 8 boxes of shells. I did have some help though . I just haven't had an opportunity to get out much. That's gonna change in Nov 14th.

Edit: Forgot to add your smiley face.

Dang look at you high rollin' with an A400.. Helluva treat for yourself..
Old 10-25-2020, 09:53 PM   #41
Smart
Pope & Young

So I was jacking with the buttstock tonight at the work bench still waiting on the replacement pad to arrive. I took the BS away from the receiver and started my measuring and marking. I grabbed a hold of the black inner workings and it moved. Hell the dang thing pulled out completely. This is going be a piece of cake to cut now. I don't have to worry about cutting the frame work while cutting the stock at the same time now. I can cut them separately and concentrate on each piece. The buttstock has plenty of support in it as is and I can see that the screws go plenty deep in the framework where I need them. Luckily the third screw will line up perfect with my new pad. Feeling a little better about this..

Last edited by Smart; 10-25-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #42
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I was scrolling down to say "That black stock support will come out when you unbolt it!"

Also, I have a bench top belt sander you can borrow if you don't want to buy one.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #43
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I was scrolling down to say "That black stock support will come out when you unbolt it!"

Also, I have a bench top belt sander you can borrow if you don't want to buy one.

. Iíve taken that buttstock apart three times that I remember. One to add a shim in 2005 (new)and twice to clean the buttstock recoil spring system at the end of a couple of long duck seasons wading in flooded timber around that same time ... and I dang sure didnít remember that coming out. Itís hell getting old! thanks!

Already bought the belt sander bench but thanks for the offer Dale. Been wanting one for some other projects in the past and future.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:24 PM   #44
Smart
Pope & Young

So UPS sent my KickEez to Houston and hasn't managed to get it coming this way yet. Never really had any problem with them but this is two items in two weeks.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #45
Smart
Pope & Young

Got my pad in today and the screw holes line up like a champ. Havenít cut the stock yet but the gap wonít change in the distance between the screws with what I have to cut back.

Very lucky there. Plus I have very little to grind off in general once I get it cut. May try to tackle it tomorrow afternoon or definitely this weekend.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #46
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

I gotta hack saw with 2 blades, a cope-n saw, and a old fashioned wood saw if ya need some help. Just let me know.

Edit: forgot to add I gotta wood-n sand-n block with some 80 girt on it too.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #47
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I gotta hack saw with 2 blades, a cope-n saw, and a old fashioned wood saw if ya need some help. Just let me know.

Edit: forgot to add I gotta wood-n sand-n block with some 80 girt on it too.

Thanks Mike! I'll give you a buzz if I do.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:29 PM   #48
Smart
Pope & Young

Well my 120/220grit belts that I ordered, did not come and the two place I looked were out... so I did not do the recoil pad grind yet. Supposed to be here tomorrow now. However I did get the buttstock cut, shaped and cleaned up.. Piece of cake with an 80T saw blade. And some hand block sanding. Just stuck the pad on there before I cleaned it up. The cringe part is over and it wasnít bad at all after I made a jig for it. Pretty happy so far.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:44 PM   #49
Shane
Pope & Young

Looking good!
Old 10-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #50
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Looks like your almost there, good work!
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top