Short barrel accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short barrel accuracy

I really like the 16-18” barrel rifles, looked at a ruger American compact in 6.5 creed today with 20” barrel. Talked to the owner and he said if I want to stretch it to 300 I should go with 22” barrel. Doesn’t seem like that much difference. Should I go with 22” ruger American predator or hold out for a more compact rifle, will be used for hunting, maybe shoot to 300-400 for grins from the barn across the hayfield.

Accuracy isn't determined by barrel length. Bench rest guns have short barrels often. That's assuming it is a decent barrel at ANY length.

However speed is effected by barrel length. longer barrels get a more complete powder burn making more use of the energy.

Also longer barrels are OFTEN (NOT ALWAYS) heavier... Heavier guns make it easier for the monkey pulling to trigger to shoot it well

All that said... At 300... It is basically meaningless differences... At 700... Maybe... At a grand sure

I shoot a 20 inch 308 to a grand all the time...

That's a high level view of the situation... You can go down a LONG rabbit hole on the pros and cons and effects of changing the barrel
    Last edited by catslayer; 09-08-2020, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Agree with Catslayer on all the things above. Accuracy has nothing to do with length of barrel. The biggest difference between a 20" and 22" barrel is "2" inches. :-)

Comment

X3 what Catslayer said. And 300-400 isn’t remotely long enough for that extra length to make any negligible differences.

Comment

If 300-400 is max range you have no reason to even think twice about a 20", or even a 16" or SBR for that matter. If your initial feedback provider thinks 300 is really stretching out, then I wouldn't worry much about his opinion on long range ballistics or accuracy.

Comment

Good points, I thought it a little odd he would make the 300 yard comment. May hold out a little longer

Comment

A shorter barrel, in theory, should be more accurate as it will be stiffer. People tend to shoot better with longer barrels when using iron sights due to the increased sight radius.
              Last edited by texaspyro21; 09-09-2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
                I really like the 16-18” barrel rifles, looked at a ruger American compact in 6.5 creed today with 20” barrel. Talked to the owner and he said if I want to stretch it to 300 I should go with 22” barrel. Doesn’t seem like that much difference. Should I go with 22” ruger American predator or hold out for a more compact rifle, will be used for hunting, maybe shoot to 300-400 for grins from the barn across the hayfield.
                Get a .308 then, for those distances it's a better choice ballistics wise and has no issues with a shorter barrel.

Comment

The guy is telling you some nonsense for all the reasons listed above. From a personal gun that I hunt with; I initially had it turned to 22"- Bartlien barrel, Deviant action, manners, etc. The gun never shot what I considered well for that setup, maybe in the .5 moa range. Since I had nothing to loose and considered it a touch long to hunt with (including suppresor) I had that barrel shortened to 18". After that, the gun came alive and shoots .1-.2 now right in line with some of my other heavy bench guns. Obviously it lost some velocity so know your come-ups and you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                    Agree with Catslayer on all the things above. Accuracy has nothing to do with length of barrel. The biggest difference between a 20" and 22" barrel is "2" inches. :-)
                    And some where between 25-50FPS depending on caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                      And some where between 25-50FPS depending on caliber.

Comment

Good Lord I hope you weren't in Able getting that advice! and if you were I seriously doubt it was the owner you talked to.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspyro21 View Post
                          A shorter barrel, in theory, should be more accurate as it will be stiffer. People tend to shoot better with longer barrels when using iron sights due to the increased sight radius.
                          Your getting into the weeds but this is also untrue... If the recoil impulse is consistent (which is a barrel +ammo thing so even more complicated, but easier to get with a stiffer barrel yes)... A .25 moa group is a .25 moa group

Also again since most ppl shoot with scopes (minus palma) sight radius means nothing now... Again heavy guns respond slower so small influences (heart rate, breathing, trigger influence) have LESS effect. So the monkey had less effect

Look up for example Frank Gali putting a gun on a tripod then standing beside it not looking pinching the trigger standing name arms length away
                          Last edited by catslayer; 09-09-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                            Your getting into the weeds but this is also untrue... If the recoil impulse is consistent (which is a barrel +ammo thing so even more complicated, but easier to get with a stiffer barrel yes)... A .25 moa group is a .25 moa group
                            He's referring to barrel harmonics

Comment

Mirroring what was said; shouldn’t give up accuracy with short barrels but definitely some performance.

I’m having 2 barrels cut from 26 and 24 down to 16 right now. Just because handiness will be better.

Comment

Working...
                              X