Electrical question - GFCIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical question - GFCIs

My house is about 10 years old and all of a sudden I have two separate GFCIs that trip pretty frequently. One is in the bathroom and the other by the kitchen sink. Are these just going bad or is there another issue that I need to address?

I'm definitely not an electrician, but I did have a couple fail at about the 10 year mark too. I replaced them and we were good to go. Maybe someone more qualified will chime in too!

Comment

usually your outside outlets are feed from the indoor gfci's
      are your cover in tact outside? anything plugged in to the outside outlets. rain will cause a short

Comment

They don't last long and if you plug anything with a motor like a hair dryer into them it shortens the life of them. I'm no electrician but I am an electrical parts salesman.

Comment

Originally posted by sticks View Post
          usually your outside outlets are feed from the indoor gfci's
          are your cover in tact outside? anything plugged in to the outside outlets. rain will cause a short
          All good with the outside outlets. These are tripping every other day (sometimes daily) so it's not rain related. I guess I'll just replace them and see if that solves the issue. I didn't realize these go bad.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
            They don't last long and if you plug anything with a motor like a hair dryer into them it shortens the life of them. I'm no electrician but I am an electrical parts salesman.
            Well there you go. The one in the bathroom is the one that my wife plugs her hairdryer into. Thanks!

Comment

Welcome
              Go back with commercial grade 20 amp they will last a little longer.

Comment

Had this problem as well
                Check the neutral/ white wire on back of each plug in the circuit
                If electrician plugged them into back instead of using screw lugs they could be corroded and not making good contact

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                  Had this problem as well
                  Check the neutral/ white wire on back of each plug in the circuit
                  If electrician plugged them into back instead of using screw lugs they could be corroded and not making good contact
                  Thanks. I'll make a note to look when I pull them out.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                    Welcome
                    Go back with commercial grade 20 amp they will last a little longer.
                    If there on a 15 amp breaker this is not a good idea.

Comment

I bet there just getting old and needs replacing. Be sure and turn off the power for your safety and you can also damage the new GFCI doing them energized.

Comment

I'd say they are getting old. After 10 years...Yup. Replace them if they keep tripping. Not a bad idea to check rest of the circuit connections also.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                          If there on a 15 amp breaker this is not a good idea.
                          If it's a true 20 amp gfi, nothing he has will plug in anyway, due to the T slot. Most all 15 amp gfi,s are 20 amp pass through, so maybe he is referring to a commercial version of what he already has....

Comment

just replace it should work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              If it's a true 20 amp gfi, nothing he has will plug in anyway, due to the T slot. Most all 15 amp gfi,s are 20 amp pass through, so maybe he is referring to a commercial version of what he already has....
                              Are you sure about that?

Comment

Working...
                              X