Crab Traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crab Traps

Going to surfside in a few weeks and hope to catch a few crabs. I’m seeing square and pyramid traps- is one better than the other? Are the basic sub $10 traps good enough for occasional use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No buy the ines at buckeys for $35

Comment

The commercial guys have about trapped them out. If you do put some traps out, keep an eye on them. The commercial crabbers will steal them. Ask me how I know.

Comment

I used one of these, and it worked great. It's not a set it and forget it, but I zip tied chicken feet to it. Out of stock at amazon, but I believe WalMart sells them as well.

Comment

I have the square one I got it at Academy but I think Bucees is the same type. They work good.. Love me some fresh crab.
          Attached Files

Comment

My boys love their crab trap. Got it from Academy..
            Attached Files
            Last edited by buzzbait; 03-20-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I’ll grab a couple. Doesn’t hurt to try

Comment

Lil' bit of string and some chicken and you good to go......

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  The commercial guys have about trapped them out. If you do put some traps out, keep an eye on them. The commercial crabbers will steal them. Ask me how I know.
                  How do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                    Lil' bit of string and some chicken and you good to go......
                    Yup. Set up a few lines staked a couple feet apart so they don't get tangled. Did this at the bolivar jetty hiked out to the boat cut, and would have one on a line, throw it in the bucket, throw bait back out, move to next line.. continously till i filled my cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                      Going to surfside in a few weeks and hope to catch a few crabs. I’m seeing square and pyramid traps- is one better than the other? Are the basic sub $10 traps good enough for occasional use?

Don't waste your money on traps , unless they are built correctly, the eyes set, the parlor door set, etc..... Too many variables
                      Get some string and a piece of chicken and get with it

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                        Don't waste your money on traps , unless they are built correctly, the eyes set, the parlor door set, etc..... Too many variables
                        Get some string and a piece of chicken and get with it
                        Yep. Go hit up all the cleaning tables on the water.

Comment

Really depends on what you want to do... if you're wanting to set it and forget it then spend the extra money and go with a good box type trap, if you are wanting to hang out and catch one or two at a time then I would go old school with string and a dip net. Either method works well with drinking a beer or three!

Comment

Thanks. What’s a good set it and forget it trap to add to the Arsenal? Looks like prices are all over the board

Comment

We always had better luck with mullet as bait. Catch mullet, butterfly it length wise without cutting it into two pieces and tie to trap/throw line guts and all. Mullet are free if you can find them and catch them with a cast net.

Comment

Working...
                              X