When to Plow Fall Plot to Plant Spring Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to Plow Fall Plot to Plant Spring Plot

My fall plot (oats, wheat and clover) is still looking good but I would like to plant some spring plots this year. Looking back over the years I seemed to have more deer using my property when I planted a “jungle” of sorghum, peas and beans in the spring. So I want to plant a spring plot again this year.
    What is the latest I can plant my spring plot and still have time for it to mature? I’m afraid if I wait too late I won’t get enough rain to get it kicked off before the summer heat hits.

Don't need to plant until late April/early May.

I went out yesterday and disced up an acre. Will hit it again when it's time to seed about 4 weeks from now.

Comment

Early May

Comment

I was going to ask the same thing. Our 3.5 acre plot is about 14-inches tall with oats and wheat and wasn't sure what we should do with it and when (i.e. disc it into the soil, spray it, etc.)? We would like to be able to utilize all of this growth and improve the organic matter but don't know where to start.

Comment

Good ideas! I think I’ll till the fall plots under in early May, spray and plant the spring plots in mid May. I plan to use the Turner Seed Spring mid. I may add some sorghum to the blend.
          Attached Files

Comment

No need to plant before April 15th

Comment

Is it necessary to spray/kill off the winter plot before planting the summer plot, or is it better to just plow/till it under?

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
                Is it necessary to spray/kill off the winter plot before planting the summer plot, or is it better to just plow/till it under?
                I plan to till the fall plots under and then watch to see if weeds come up. I will spray if necessary before planting my spring plots.

Comment

Originally posted by GLM View Post
                  I plan to till the fall plots under and then watch to see if weeds come up. I will spray if necessary before planting my spring plots.
                  Our thinking was that we would do it all at one time, so we would be converting straight from winter to summer with no interim. Our hope is that the organic matter from the winter plots being tilled under (like someone mentioned earlier) would help provide nutrients to the newly planted summer plot. Also, hoping that any weeds that may have started growing would be interrupted by the tilling, so the summer plot would have a chance to get going before the weeds take over. Any major flaw to this plan that anyone knows of?

Comment

Good ideas! I think I’ll till the fall plots under in early May, spray and plant the spring plots in mid May. I plan to use the Turner Seed Spring mid. I may add some sorghum to the blend.
                    I just received the same seed mix yesterday, Gonna try to get it in the ground in next week or two. I'm going to add 50# sack of black oil sunflowers and possibly some red top cain or sorghum as well on some perimeter strips.

Comment

I have what I call my "dove plot" that we hunt birds at. I'm mixing 50/50 the deer and dove blends.

Comment

I always had my seed in the ground by April 15

Comment

if you got moisture your generally ok

Comment

In the past that's what I've done with good success. If you can time your planting with good moisture and your ground isn't too hard, you might get away with just discing lightly enough to cover your seeds. That would help the weed problem considerably, especially if you burn down the weeds that the first discing produced. I soft or sandy ground I've always disced with my gangs almost straight to cut 1" or so grooves in the plot. Broadcast on top of that and drag the plot and you're done. Not much tillage=not as many weeds. I generally don't plant until the ground temp is steady at 60* or above.
                            Last edited by Drycreek3189; 04-05-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X