Dog bite care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog bite care

Well got home and was walking the dog with wife and son, mind on tomorrow morning. Shes still a pup (got her from another TBHer), so she of course wants to see every other dog. Normally you can tell if someones uncomfortable letting your dog see theirs if they hold them back or such, and I try to train her to ignore dogs while walking as a matter of safety/obedience. Well the other guy wasn't holding his dog back and seemed to be waiting for the dogs to meet. She kinda pulled out front and based on body language wasn't too worried. Well all of a sudden the other dog just lunges and latches onto her face and won't let go. I've seen dogs bite each other but that was the first time I saw a dog just latch on. especially a small corgie, darn thing wouldnt let go with its owner hitting it. Finally let go, cleaned it up at home. One small gash, ear is hanging a bit, and eye is slightly swollen. Taking her to the vet tomorrow just to be safe, anything else I ought to do for her? Never had this happen to a dog.
    Attached Files

Just a scratch. Neosporin and watch for infection.

Comment

Good thing he didn't get her eye. Looked like it was close.

I don't think you have too much to worry about. Only thing I would probably want to be sure of is that the other dog was up to date on vacinations and what not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Eye looks good, I'd give her some trimmed out rotisserie chicken scraps and TLC and save the vet fees.

Comment

Coming from my perspective, make the other dog owner pay the vet bill. Dog bites can and are serious. Typically they (biter) have to be quarantined 10 days to watch for possible rabies. I know I wouldn't take it lightly if someone else's dog bit one of mine. I have a real problem with people out in public that don't/can't control their dogs.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the vet. I had working dogs that look torn up and still get out and do their job looking a lot worse than that. Dogs heal quick. When I had a Jagd I carried a staple gun and dropped him on several tracks with fresh staples in his hide.

Comment

I thought about going back to get the guys name and number after i got my son and dog back home(we live next to the park) but the guy was gone, he must have came to the park in his car. Think he was surprised too, as I've seen him and his dog while I'm running there before. She seems fine, and honestly wanted to go check out the next dog she saw right afterward lol.

Comment

The eye looks ok , I would keep a eye on the ear , if she gets a hematoma your vet may need to drain it and stitch up? Watch for excessive head shaking

Comment

Working...
                X