Built a Little Dock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built a Little Dock

Well, I wanted to build a floating dock so me and the grandkids would have a place to fish and this is what I came up with. They were redoing some pieres at a local marina and had some styrofoam they were giving away, so I snatched up some and made this Saturday morning. I am not finished yet, need to put up a rail on the walk way. The walk is actually two parts and the longer portion that hook to the dock has styrofoam under it too. It is hinged at the dock and again at the conection to the land piece.[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing dock 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	24793556

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing dock 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	24793557[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Ron; 01-25-2010, 10:44 AM.

Good Job!!

Comment

You could add cattle panels to the inside so the little one wont slip and fall in or hog wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pence View Post
        You could add cattle panels to the inside so the little one wont slip and fall in or hog wire.
        Thanks Eric, I was thinking about some lattice panel for that.

Comment

Great lookin dock!

Lattice panel would look nice, but not near as strong and would catch alot more air if the wind really got up.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pence View Post
            Yep, now that my little one is old enough to go out on the pier we are going to hog panel it.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! Luckily my grandkids are a little older and I prolly won't need quite as tight an area, otherwise they would just use it for climbing up on to jump off. LOL those boys will climb anything.

Comment

Great Job by the way I was always scared when my kids were small as well they would climb ANYTHING.Lattice will look great!!!

Comment

Looks GREAT. How did you anchor the land-side of the dock?

Comment

I like it!

I know those styrofoam thingies are pretty bouyant, but how stable is it if a grown person stands all the way to one side?

And how big is it? 8x8?

Comment

Originally posted by shankev View Post
                      Looks GREAT. How did you anchor the land-side of the dock?
                      The land side is achored with two pieces of 4" angle iron X 40 " long. I drove them in the ground till they were flush with the top of the walk way, then drilled a hole in them and put a lag bolt on each side.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        I like it!

I know those styrofoam thingies are pretty bouyant, but how stable is it if a grown person stands all the way to one side?

And how big is it? 8x8?
                        Yes 8 X 8 square.

I'm a pretty big fellow, pushin 300 lb. and it didn't tip with me in one corner. I got with a guy who builds these for a living and told him what size I was going to build and he told me that two pieces of styrofoam 3 X 6 X 1 foot thick would be all I would need, so I put in an extra one to be sure.Then I floated the walk with another one to be sure. Total 4 pieces used. The American way, if two asprins are enough, take three.

Comment

good looking dock.

Comment

that's reallyl impressive....enjoy it.

Comment

Very nice build!

Comment

Working...
                              X