No announcement yet.

Protein shake for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he has an appetite for it I think I would do an extra small meal like protein portion plus starch (potato/sweet potato) or rice on days he is very active. Way more nutrient dense than whey or casein and if he is not hungry enough to eat it then he is probably fine without. You could also ensure all his meals are biased to make sure he eats several ounces of meat before filling up on typical kid food. Our family can be guilty of to much junk but we try and make our kids earn the less healthy stuff by eating meat and veggies first.

Something that could be just as useful is getting him interested in light resistance and speed training. I would keep it fun and game like. Obstacle course where he climbs, picks up sandbags, and drags something heavy. He could race his friends through it. Anything that looks like farm boy strength and sprinting is good.

My kids are still under 6 but I have thought about this some and I think these are easy steps that he might not get burnt out on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Just feed him more meat and taters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I appreciate the replies. I figured this cause a touch on controversy, but what better group to start some, right?

To make it clear, I'm not trying to create an athlete out of nothing. This is more to help boost his self confidence. For instance, right now he's in baseball. There has been a few times he has hit and gotten thrown out and times where he just quite couldn't the ball to the base to get the runner out. All he says is how he wishes he was bigger and stronger like the other kids to hit harder and throw further.

Comment

I would not do it sound like he just a kid full of energy no reason to try and slow his metabolism, I am 29 years old and still can not gain weight if I had to

Comment

At his age carbs and fat are far more important to growth than protein. Good calories is all he needs. You can’t out train or out supplement good nutrition and genetics ( I’ve tried every way possible )

Comment

My son drinks a protein shake and eats a protein bar everyday. He is 13 tho and only been doing the shakes for about 2 years. The protein bar just started this year. But he does do athletics/off season football in the mornings, track after school, and has baseball 2-5 days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ensure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                  He didn't say he wanted to feed his his kid extra food. He asked about protein shakes twice a day later clarified as "weight gain shakes". Excess protein can impact kidney function/size, increas plasma amino acids which may have behavioral side effects and increase insulin production. Protein powders, depending on their source may cause gastrointestinal issues as well. So, yeah I would recommend he talk to a doctor before experimenting with a few thousand extra calories and protein powder intake for an 8 year old.
                  Very good advice , three of my buddy's all from different homes , did the weight gain and protein shakes, all three messed up there kidneys and urinary tracts
                  With kidney stones, I saw one guy have convulsions and take a ambulance ride
                  After surgery was in his hospital room and urologist said it was the bad diet

Comment

Carnation Instant Breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                      Dominate 3rd grade football?

Comment

My weight gain shake while playing football was 4 scoops chocolate ice cream and milk twice daily. Seriously, stick to whole foods. The supplement industry is unregulated and you do not know what you're getting. Besides that, large ingestion of protein is very very very hard on the kidney's and not worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                          A buddy of mine put his kid on some when he was young and now he is is a 220 pound first team all district fullback at a 5A school. It worked as his dad is not a big man.
                          It may not be his dad but somewhere in his genetics, mom and dads side, their is a larger side of the family. I have always been larger than my dad and wonder where I got it from. We have 2nd and 3rd cousins who make me look like a skinny kid. I'm 6'4 and weigh 265 lbs. Got as heavy as 305. I would also like to add, the workout regiment is a lot more intense these days then back in the 80's when I played. Focus is more on year round training with an emphasis on weight training. Look at all the camps that pop up for year round training.

Comment

Better get him some gear while you're at it, wanna make sure he dominates 3rd grade....

All joking aside, let him be a kid. He will develop when his genetics let him. He may be a toothpick up until he's 16. My opinion doesn't mean much, but he's too young to be pushing protein down his throat.
                            Last edited by MisterSanders; 03-29-2018, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Consult your pediatrician first before starting him on anything to help him gain weight. Find out what problem is first. Don't want to mess up internal organs and wind up on a bunch of unnecessary meds

Comment

"Dominate 3rd grade football" is the best thing I've read on here in a while

The weight gainer shakes should work well. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X