Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood
Default Sea Tow or Tow boat USA?

Anybody use either service or have any experience with them? Pros ,Cons or suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

I have Sea Tow but never have had to use it.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Better go find some wood fo knock on.
Fargus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

I had Sea Tow. Had to use it once. Sea Tow didn't have a boat in the Area so they called TOW Boat USA and reimbursed me the cost to use TOW Boat
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
KC Huntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason Co

Really depends on what port is serviced by what company. The port we fish out of is only covered by Boat US.
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I was gonna get a Sea Tow but ended up with Progressive Sign & Glide coverage. They don't use any single service they leverage anyone in the area. Used it one night out flounder gigging about 2am, called them up and they said standby we'll call back. I got a call back about 10 minutes later they'd woken up someone to come get me. Then they called every 15 minutes until I was out of there. No payment up front, dude just walked up to my boat with a clipboard, I signed, he towed and that was the end of it. Sign & Glide was seriously cheap to add to the boat coverage too, iirc it was like $5/mo on the policy.

Last edited by justletmein; 01-22-2020 at 03:29 PM.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
marc.munoz31
Spike

Sea Tow
marc.munoz31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
I was gonna get a Sea Tow but ended up with Progressive Sign & Glide coverage. They don't use any single service they leverage anyone in the area. Used it one night out flounder gigging about 2am, called them up and they said standby we'll call back. I got a call back about 10 minutes later they'd woken up someone to come get me. Then they called every 15 minutes until I was out of there. No payment up front, dude just walked up to my boat with a clipboard, I signed, he towed and that was the end of it. Sign & Glide was seriously cheap to add to the boat coverage too.
Over the years I have tried them all , what ever port is your primary, I would use them

Wife works at usaa and insured our boat with progressive I like them for the bay systemís

On side note when I fished out of port Mansfield, on days it was to rough to fish offshore, I would pick up some extra money working for the local marinea, running around dropping off 2 stroke oil , 5 gallon gas tank or pulling people off the reef to the channel
Owners didnít have a tow boat and would split the price with me
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Tow Boat - I was with kid about 4a going duck hunting. Yeti cup full of coffee spilled toward me while going through a cut. I grounded it into about 3 inches of water. Called and out of there within an hour and still made the am shoot
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #10
Gerald G
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mississippi, Colorado

Quote:
Me too. Small price to pay in case something does go wrong.
Gerald G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
PSE guy
Four Point

Quote:
This ^^^^..can be somewhat dependent on you service area as to who contract with
PSE guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #12
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

sea tow in my area has far more boats.
Atfulldraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #13
Walker
Ten Point

See if your boat insurance can get you a rider. I got one that does everything sea tow does except ow my buddies boat. Cost a lot less than sea tow or tow boat.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #14
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Man, I overheard a conversation of two guys talking about getting a boat unstuck down in Baffin Bay. They were saying if you don't have something like a platinum credit card, those guys won't touch your boat, the will take off and leave you. I swear, they said, it cost something like $15,000 to get their boat unstuck. I have stuck a boat a few times, I was always able to get out and drag the boat out of the mud, **** sure not paying $15,000 to get pulled off a sand bar or out of some mud.
I am guessing these deals y'all are talking about are basically the boat equivalent of AAA or a similar service. I guess much cheaper than not having any prepaid service.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 09:52 PM   #15
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
Man, I overheard a conversation of two guys talking about getting a boat unstuck down in Baffin Bay. They were saying if you don't have something like a platinum credit card, those guys won't touch your boat, the will take off and leave you. I swear, they said, it cost something like $15,000 to get their boat unstuck. I have stuck a boat a few times, I was always able to get out and drag the boat out of the mud, **** sure not paying $15,000 to get pulled off a sand bar or out of some mud.
I am guessing these deals y'all are talking about are basically the boat equivalent of AAA or a similar service. I guess much cheaper than not having any prepaid service.
I had to be towed several miles and the Tow Capitan said if it werenít for tow insurance it would have cost $5000 or so. In the wrong dang Business.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #16
ace340cs
Ten Point

Hunt In: Use to in Mexico, South Texas

Sign and glide coverage from Progressive, used them once,,, awesome service, he was up front with me,,, said he was towing another boat once done he was going to call me and head my direction... did ask if we had kids or females on boat, and if we needed any medical help...
ace340cs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #17
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

We've had Tow Boats for the last 5 years in Port A and have used it once. If you run/drift shallower areas, it is well worth the price of admission for peace of mind alone. They have a boat right in the marina and easily cover the places we fish.

Saying that, I would go with the best response and coverage available for your area.

Hogboy
Leonhogboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #18
BigFoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: La Vernia, Hidalgo County

They're definitely worth their membership prices. If you need them and don't have a membership, the prices are ungodly. Coast Guard can't touch you in areas that there is commercial salvage unless you're actually in distress. So keep that in mind.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #19
Hollywood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Live Oak, Duval

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
I was gonna get a Sea Tow but ended up with Progressive Sign & Glide coverage. They don't use any single service they leverage anyone in the area. Used it one night out flounder gigging about 2am, called them up and they said standby we'll call back. I got a call back about 10 minutes later they'd woken up someone to come get me. Then they called every 15 minutes until I was out of there. No payment up front, dude just walked up to my boat with a clipboard, I signed, he towed and that was the end of it. Sign & Glide was seriously cheap to add to the boat coverage too, iirc it was like $5/mo on the policy.
This right her ^^^^^
Had to use mine once when I lost a gear in the lower unit. Wasn't to far out, just had to be towed from the J Hook in POC back to the Fishing Center.
Good news was, the guy that towed me in had a C-25 Mowdy. The tow was free but my new C-25 Mowdy cost a few bucks
Just had to have one, & love it.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #20
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Coast Guard came and got me in Freeport when my motor wouldn't start. They just latched a rope and towed me all the way back to my boat launch. Nice Fella's.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top