Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
topduarte
Pope & Young

Default How do u go about telling a parent she cannot drive anyore due to safety reasons

Just dropped off my mom at airport but she will probably miss her flight.

She got in a small fender bender on way to my home. She was lost and confused.

Lately I see more dings and scratches on her small suv.

Guy she hit was nice and did not want her to miss her flight. Only his mirror was damaged. I told him get an estimate and I will take care of it. He told she did mot even realize she hit him.

I need to talk to my brothers about this. They live out of town.

So how have any of you handled taking away driving duties to your parents?

Btw, i live in Pflugerville and she is in Jarrell.

Thanks

Manny
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

In for the responses. My stepdad is at that point also. His truck looks like a demolition derby vehicle. He lives with my sister and she is beside herself on how to handle it. I tell her just take the keys away and tell him no more. But I donít have to deal with the heart break. Heís 87 and hasnít depended on anyone since he left home at 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brianlg31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Unfortunately the best way is to be direct explain your reasons and how she doesn’t want to be the one to harm others. Good luck
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Prayers for wisdom and understanding. My Mother and MIL are getting to this point and I know its going to be a fight one day.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #5
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Yeah, I don't look forward to that day myself. Think my wife is ready to have her keys pulled and she's only 43!
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosixteens View Post
Unfortunately the best way is to be direct explain your reasons and how she doesnít want to be the one to harm others. Good luck
This. I would be ****** if someone just took my keys. But if they come to me and make me receptive to their message, I would be much more likely to give up my keys.

Good Luck OP, getting old is fun for no one.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

My gramp refused to listen until he ran right into a huge yellow hummer at an intersection...said if he can hit that, he could kill a pedestrian. He was 90.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Been through this with a grandfather years ago. We had to take the keys away.

Best way imo is to make them understand that they are a danger to other people and they can easily cause injuries to people even children in other vehicles
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

We got lucky with our dad. He was 90 when his car took a dump. He had me come over to look at it. He wanted to buy a new car and I asked him why? My sister lived with him and took him to all his appointments, shopping, etc.. Why do you need another car. He looked at me and told me I was right. Pitched the keys in the floor of the car and called someone to haul it off.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #10
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Start with, "I love you mom"...………………..
prayers for ya...……..
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
DavidH
Four Point

Hunt In: Lampasas/Burnet Co.

My mom had two accidents in and around Houston. After the first accident I told her I didn't think it was a good idea if she continued driving in Houston. She was upset at me for insinuating that she couldn't handle the hustle/bustle of Houston. She kept driving to Houston. After the second accident, I said "now you know why I suggested you not drive in Houston?" She was perturbed again. But she didn't drive anywhere but within 15-20 miles of where we live (south of Houston). These are all places/roads she is familiar with. She also toned down how aggressive she drove. I think outta fear that she would have another accident and I/we would for sure take her keys away completely. Her health has deteriorated now and she doesn't drive at all. You have my sympathy. Good luck.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #12
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

From a distance.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #13
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

It’s tough first my grandpa, then my mom now my MIL , sitting here waiting to help her run to do errands, freedom is a hard thing to give up and is a burden to help them be safe
Praying for some peace
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #14
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Somebody ask Senor Burnadell how it was broke to him
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #15
friscopaint
Ten Point

Daddy got out of hospital and we took it away, wasn't there when he got home and we told him no more driving. No nice way, sadly you become the parent.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #16
friscopaint
Ten Point

Adding my sister and I were in lock step on it. Direct was best in our case.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #17
Jon-Paul
Administrator

I'm struggling with this as well. I tried telling him and got told I didn't know what I was talking about. I even offered to hire him a driver that and still did not work.

He still drives and I constantly worry about him.
Jon-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #18
JHoss
Four Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

You can submit to DPS in writing to have a medical review board look into their condition. Instructions are online. Basically a review board makes them come in for a driving test and if they fail or refuse to come, they lose their license.

That's the practical side... now making your parents agree they need to quit driving is a different matter. Good luck and prayers sent for wisdom in all of it.
JHoss is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #19
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoss View Post
You can submit to DPS in writing to have a medical review board look into their condition. Instructions are online. Basically a review board makes them come in for a driving test and if they fail or refuse to come, they lose their license.

That's the practical side... now making your parents agree they need to quit driving is a different matter. Good luck and prayers sent for wisdom in all of it.
Definitely an option but as a last resort. Keep the government out of your personal business if possible.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #20
Guardian Reaper
Six Point

No good way. Loss of ones independence is a tough realization, but more importantly is their safety along with the rest of ours!
Guardian Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #21
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Been through this with a grandfather years ago. We had to take the keys away.

Best way imo is to make them understand that they are a danger to other people and they can easily cause injuries to people even children in other vehicles
My paw paw wasn't havin it. Didn't care about other people. He was an old hard keester. So we disabled his truck. Told him it was busted and it would cost too much to fix. He hated spending money. Maw maw convinced him to give it to me to get it out of their yard lol. So me and friend went over and towed away from the house and then cranked her up and drove it off.
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #22
Leverhunter
Eight Point

Friend recently went through this. Sat the parent down with family doctor and they all had a discussion about it. Opinion of the doc was enough that the parent didn't put up much of a fuss and took a lot of the burden off the kids.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #23
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Get em a self driving Tesla - problem solved
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #24
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

When my Mother got to that point I talked with her car insurance agent and he was happy to cancel her insurance on my behalf. I explained to her that due to her medical condition (diagnosed with dementia) that they would not be able to insure her car except in another family members name. It worked.
glpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #25
7sdad
Ten Point

Fortunately my mother told me she was done, I got off easy with that part but she does live with me.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #26
Hogmauler
Ten Point

My mom had dementia and it was like trying to reason with an alcoholic or drug addict. She would not believe it. Can’t remember how it exactly how it went down but my dad basically took the keys I guess cause he started driving. She may have realized it herself and never said anything as well. It’s very hard for anyone to lose their driving priveleges. That was her independence. Just the fact that your concerned shows what type of person you are. You’ll find a way.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #27
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Several good recommendations given already. Another option is to talk to her doctor and/or eye doctor and have them be the bad guy/gal in that conversation with your mom.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #28
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Last fall I grounded myself. I was on so much pain meds that I knew it could be an issue. I sure didn't want to hurt anyone else. didn't drive from a bit after thanksgiving, to june this year.

I hope I'll know when its time later.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #29
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
My paw paw wasn't havin it. Didn't care about other people. He was an old hard keester. So we disabled his truck. Told him it was busted and it would cost too much to fix. He hated spending money. Maw maw convinced him to give it to me to get it out of their yard lol. So me and friend went over and towed away from the house and then cranked her up and drove it off.
Plot twist. Paw Paw was in his late 50's and a great driver. You just wanted his truck
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #30
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

My Mom turned 88 yesterday. She would drive from Grandview to Arlington once a week to get her hair done. Finally she decided it was just too much of a drive for her thank God. The she had a bad fall at home and they took her t the hospital. Had nothing broken but a small concussion was enough for the Dr to tell her no driving for 3 months. She hated that but did what she was told. She was frustrated but she managed. Now she only drive within 20 miles of where she lives. Country roads she knows well and never at night. I have told her as long as she doesn't have an accident she can drive.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #31
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
Daddy got out of hospital and we took it away, wasn't there when he got home and we told him no more driving. No nice way, sadly you become the parent.
^^^This

No excuse with Uber, lyft, etc.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #32
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
Plot twist. Paw Paw was in his late 50's and a great driver. You just wanted his truck
Paw paw almost put the truck INSIDE the drug store. He hit it pretty hard but thankfully it was brick. Thankfully no one was walking in front of his truck. My paw paw never learned to drive an automatic. His trucks came equipped with a standard transmission, no radio, no AC and no electric anything. Wasn't many people dying to have his truck. He had two trucks in his life. That last was was a 1990 and we got it away from him in 2005ish. It had about 25,000 miles on it. I took it and sold it to a less fortunate soul for 400 bux. Oh, and he was in his early 90s
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #33
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

It sure makes it easier if the Dr. says she shouldn't drive. Then he is the bad guy.

Peggy got confused going through the cones in a construction zone. She stopped in traffic and a truck hit her from behind. She knew she stopped and couldn't figure out why they said it was a moving violation.
Leonhogboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #34
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Following, my dad scares the crap outta me and wife.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #35
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

My dad? Not a chance..My mom? Possibly..I can hear my dad telling me to kick rocks,and pound sand..I can hear my mother saying the first time you don't show up I'm outta here..They're both in their mid 70's..Cyndi's mom,she'd be cool with it.Her dad,not a chance.He's 80yrs old.Took me out Thanksgiving Day to show me how much power his new Chevy 6.2 gasser had..Half froze road in North Iowa.He didn't give a f...lol

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #36
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
This. I would be ****** if someone just took my keys. But if they come to me and make me receptive to their message, I would be much more likely to give up my keys.

Good Luck OP, getting old is fun for no one.
Problem is that wife elderly patients( many with cognitive issues), they donít process reasoning like you do. Many times, you canít have rational conversations.
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #37
topduarte
Pope & Young

Thanks to all, it will be a fight but we will not bring ut up until after Christmas when returns home.

Again thank you.

Manny
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #38
Bow-TechAggie
Six Point

My wife worked for a car dealership and she got a call one day from a customer inquiring about when his vehicle would be ready. Long story short, kids took the car away from the father and told him they took it to the dealership to be serviced. They told service writer to put notes in file that if he were to ever call up there, to just say that they are waiting on parts to fix and that it would be ready in a few weeks. He always accepted the answer and would call back again a month later with the same result.
Bow-TechAggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #39
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post

Nice work
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #40
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I followed my mother and grandmother home one day from another family members house.
Gmom drove and thank god we were on a very lightly used road. She literally spent more time on the wrong side of the road than on the correct side. Over hills, around turns even so dar as to several times kick up rocks and grass. When we got to my mothers I had words. After that my brother drove her everywhere
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #41
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

sounds like a tough situation. prayers for ya bud seems like there is some solid advise on here though good luck!
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #42
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Mom gave up her keys when she jumped the curb and plowed into the brick store front she was wanting to go to! More times than not they know, I can't blame them for being stubborn, I get a bit perturbed when my boys override my better judgement and insist on doing something for me!
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #43
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

It is especially tough when early-onset dementia is involved. We reached that point with my dad when he got lost coming home from a store 5 miles away he had been going to for 30 years. (only 64 at the time) He was indignant and argued like crazy when we told him he couldn't drive - of course he had already forgotten about getting lost. My mom still had to drive so we sold one car and I installed a hidden kill switch on the other. For the next few years until he went to a nursing facility, every time they walked out to the car he tried to get in the drivers seat and mom would explain he can't drive and the argument started all over again.

Last edited by jerp; 12-19-2019 at 04:41 PM.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #44
Huntsman27
Six Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

it is difficult but the best way to do it is lovingly but direct.
Huntsman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #45
Abcdj
Pope & Young

My mom is in the beginning or showing signs of Dementia. It's a strange illness. Luckily she doesn't want to drive. Her and my dad are 86. He drives her where ever she needs to go. To us it's not about hurting her self driving If she wanted to drive. It is but it's secondary to her hurting others that's the real concern for us. We couldn't live with that and she couldn't either. After we talked with her in that direction she was totally on board.
I hope your situation goes well.
It's strange having grandkids we care for and elderly parents that are basically the same.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #46
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

You could just pull a few plug wires off and play dumb.

Last edited by Hoggslayer; 12-19-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #47
Ellen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County, Texas

That was a tough one for us too. My Dad LOVED his car, it was his pride and joy. But driving and Alzheimers just don't go together. We did like others have said and had the doctor tell him he didn't want him driving anymore. Fortunately he liked and trusted his doctor and turned over his keys. Once the keys weren't in his pocket he pretty much forgot about the car. Every now and then he would say "I used to have a car....."
He would also say "I had a wife once....." He and my Mom were married for 62 Years. Alzheimers SUCKS!!!!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #48
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Hell I need to take the keys from my wife. I have to drink at least a 20 pack to ride with her.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #49
Swamprat
Four Point

Been there, done that with my both my Mom and Dad. With Mom, it was super easy and she eagerly gave up her driving. Dad wasn't as pleasant. He had been super independent for 70yrs and he "wanted the keys to my **** truck!" I was visiting them that weekend when everything unfolded and after I politely refused to give up the keys for two days, the heat was turned up. I always thought 'hopping mad' was a cute term, but I can assure you it's a real thing. I was very cautious to stay out of arm/cane's reach as I was absolutely sure a swing was coming. Though he was 82yrs old, he was in quite good shape and was even chopping trees with an axe just a few months before. He finally looked me in the eye and said, "I believe it's time for you to go...".

I'll never forget those (awful) moments...and made very sure my upper teen boys witnessed some of life's brutal reality. I watched my Dad do the same to my Grandpa and I have to say, it was nearly a repeat performance for both roles. One day, these fellas will have to do it for me..

Without question, it was the right thing to do for his safety as well as that of others.
Swamprat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #50
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Hope my kids don't read this thread!
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top