Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 05-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
texasguy83
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default Cabela's Frontier Longbow

Was looking at the Frontier longbow at Cabela's this weekend. Liked the fit and finish of the bow, didn't get to try the bow out, the girl working the archery desk couldn't find the correct string for the bow and I wasn't about to shoot a bow with the wrong string on it. My question is, has anyone owned or shot this bow? What did you think about it? Looking for a first longbow, something to play around with and also not worry about bumps and dings in the woods at that price point. And before anyone comments about it, I'm wanting to know about this bow, not suggestions to go buy a used bow. Thanks in advance for the opinions on the bow
texasguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba County, Jones County and Missouri

I have no clue but riddle me this, is it a small enough investment that if it turns out to be a short term keep that you could stand to lose a lot on resale or even not be able to resell? If it's one you'll keep that's no issue. But like the Sage I just sold I got out of it what I paid for it. And it was easy to turn. That's all I would care about with the purchase. If so I would try it.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
texasguy83
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I have no clue but riddle me this, is it a small enough investment that if it turns out to be a short term keep that you could stand to lose a lot on resale or even not be able to resell? If it's one you'll keep that's no issue. But like the Sage I just sold I got out of it what I paid for it. And it was easy to turn. That's all I would care about with the purchase. If so I would try it.

Very good point, it's only $189 brand new, so probably easy to recoup most of the money, and something I'll keep around for target shooting even if it's not something I think I'd hunt with anyways. Fun having several choices in which bow to shoot.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
DRT
Pope & Young

I'd say go for it.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
texasguy83
Six Point

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I'd say go for it.

I'll tell the wife you said so
Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
DRT
Pope & Young

My wife doesn't question my bow or gun purchases. She knows her place.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
DRT
Pope & Young

That's why I keep a separate account so she don't see.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
texasguy83
Six Point

Haha, I think every man needs a separate bank account to keep the peace
Old 05-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #9
DRT
Pope & Young

Actually she drilled fiscal responsibility into me young. I often don't get things because I by for need not want. But starting with a low cost starter now is good sense as long as it is one you can shoot. Getting one that will be tough to learn on, like to high draw weight or to short so harder to stabilize, could be a discouraging go. I'm In the end if that discouragement causes one to quit then it's money wasted be it $2 or $200.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #10
KenWood
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

That's pretty cheap. I'd say go for it. If you don't like it you ain't out much anyway. Could always turn it into a bowfishin bow. The only thing I'd suggest is make sure the length is comfortable for your draw length.
KenWood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
texasguy83
Six Point

Definitely agree, shootability is most important to me. I started with a 30 lb Cabelas Ranger, then moved up to a 40 lb Bear Kodiak Magnum, and shot a 50 lb Bear Grizzly and loved it on Sunday. Wanting to go back when they have someone there who knows the trad bows better and try the longbow in a 50 lb. Have been specifically doing exercises at the gym to increase my draw weight so it was a comfortable jump from 40 to 50. Especially with the longer ntn.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #12
texasguy83
Six Point

My draw length is about 29 or 30, so 68" ntn should be very comfortable
Old 05-17-2017, 04:20 AM   #13
TMiddleton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

I haven't ever shot that particular bow but I have built and shot straight backed (Hill style) longbows. That bow will be smooth as silk to pull but there will be a little hand shock upon release. Heavy arrows will help tame the shock.
I've found straight back bows to be very accurate and forgiving shooting bows but not very fast.....but for that price you can't hardly go wrong!
TMiddleton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #14
Selfbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me

If it has a lot of shock don't buy it. That's my two cents. There is way too many good Longbows out there. Arvin
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #15
texasguy83
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfbowman View Post
If it has a lot of shock don't buy it. That's my two cents. There is way too many good Longbows out there. Arvin
Completely agree, I was surprised by how much hand shock the Grizzly I shot on Sunday had, definitely made me rethink buying it
Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #16
texasguy83
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMiddleton View Post
I haven't ever shot that particular bow but I have built and shot straight backed (Hill style) longbows. That bow will be smooth as silk to pull but there will be a little hand shock upon release. Heavy arrows will help tame the shock.
I've found straight back bows to be very accurate and forgiving shooting bows but not very fast.....but for that price you can't hardly go wrong!
Thanks for the input
Old 05-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #17
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Just looking at the picture, it looks like your standard mass produce longbow that samick, OMP, etc make and resell under various chain brands. I own one just like it. I'll post a picture and you can decide for yourself. They are cheap bows that have a crap ton of hand shock. You can be accurate with them, but they are not going to be very efficient nor comfortable. They are not going to be like the samick sage recurve where you get a really good starter bow that isn't pretty, but can be a pleasure to shoot. It just is what it is.

Let me put it another way... I want to shoot 2 rounds at Chester this weekend... but I only own one long bow... that one is it, and it is not something that I will have fun shooting 40 targets with.

Keep in mind, that is my opinion on it.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #18
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Here is my "version" of what I consider the same class of bow.

Like I said above, it will shoot, it will hunt, but won't give the same bang for buck as a sage, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #19
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Swamp Rabbit, I have a Dwyer longbow coming that is 47# if my memory serves me correctly. The guy that had it was using 250 spine arrows with 100 grain inserts and 150 grain points. He said that the heavy arrow eliminated a lot of the hand shock and suggested that I try doing the same. Might be an idea for your longbow, too.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #20
Lost Arra
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, East Texas

60 Deluxe: is that the Dwyer original longbow?

My Defiant and Endeavor have zero hand shock but are different beasts than the Original.
Lost Arra is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #21
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
Swamp Rabbit, I have a Dwyer longbow coming that is 47# if my memory serves me correctly. The guy that had it was using 250 spine arrows with 100 grain inserts and 150 grain points. He said that the heavy arrow eliminated a lot of the hand shock and suggested that I try doing the same. Might be an idea for your longbow, too.
That bow is 50# at my draw and I am shooting 550 gr (11 gpp) and it still buzzes. I tried some wood arrows that I am pretty sure were heavier (might have been the same) with the same results. I guess I could have gone heavier... but just didn't think it was worth it. Have shot several other longbows that have a lil' bit of shock that are much more bearable.

I should try shooting a fiberglass fishing arrow out of it and see how it feels as a true test.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #22
texasguy83
Six Point

I'll have to try it and see how much hand shock it has. I realize it is a mass produced bow, but not wanting to spend a ton on my first longbow either. I've had recurves and compounds and never had an issue with any hand shock, but don't want to start either.

I'm planning on making some custom arrows for my trad bows using 315 gr broadheads and 9.9 gpi carbon arrows, should end up around 641 gr total. I like a heavy arrow for maximum KE