Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #51
moe monsarrat
Six Point

Hunt In: Blanco Co.

I shoot split finger & also teach that method. I find that 3 under works for short distances pretty good, but gets shaky out past 20yds. The two split fingered release is actually an archaic European military release called the "Flemish loose".
moe monsarrat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #52
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Question for you 3-under guys. If using a tab, does the tab with the split work OK or do you use one that is solid?
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #53
camoman1966
Nubbin' Buck

When I learned to shoot a bow as a child I shot split finger. When I started shooting again as an adult I started out split finger because it felt natural. Someone told me about 3 under and I gave it a try. I noticed that shooting split finger I tend to torque the string a bit and it causes some irregularity in arrow flight. With 3 under I don't torque the string and the arrow flies straight. Hope this helps!

Last edited by camoman1966; 12-24-2010 at 07:35 PM..
camoman1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #54
realmccoy
Nubbin' Buck

I am new to trad. I have tried both ways. Both seem to work pretty good for me. But, I try to shoot instincivly(just the way i want to do it), Every time I shoot 3 under someone accuses me of aiming. I am going to give over/under a try. Maybe then no one will accuse me of aiming. (point on ect) It seems to me if you shoot good someone always attaches a negative reason: he shoots point on, carbon arrows, elevated rest ect.........I wish we were a little more inclusive. I just got a new longbow. Woodies and carbons are shooting pretty well off the shelf. What will they say now??
realmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #55
meangene1969
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wichita / Wilbarger County

forget everyone else
meangene1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #56
huntinpool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon, The Matador (when drawn)

If a bow is pulled and the arrow is shot, some form of aiming occured. Shoot the way your most comfortable and screw anyone who has problem with it.
huntinpool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #57
meangene1969
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wichita / Wilbarger County

thats harsh
meangene1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #58
huntinpool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon, The Matador (when drawn)

That's life
huntinpool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #59
moe monsarrat
Six Point

Hunt In: Blanco Co.

Yeah, you can go at it with no instruction & do anything you want. If you want it to take a long time to achieve mediocre results, that is. Archery has been around well over 10,000 years & not that much has changed. If you want to take advantage of all that knowledge & experience you can probably skip a bunch of BS & get to the fun of shooting with a fair degree of accuracy. OR you can just start from absolute scratch and employ trial & error just so you can say "I did it MY WAY". Your choice, but if I want my kid to learn to read, I send him to school. I don't just hand him a book & say "Figure this out."
moe monsarrat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #60
zbraman
Nubbin' Buck

Have been shooting Split for nearly all my Archery life. Tried the 3 under but did not work for me.I am a BAREBOW shooter and do not gap.I shoot pure instinctive or as near as possible. I shoot Indoor at 20 yrds and in most Field and 3D it is shorter distances.
zbraman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #61
mpotts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa Tx
Default finger shooting

Doesnt the way your bow is tillered have an effect on the way you shoot
mpotts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #62
texasproud11
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

thanks for the post
texasproud11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #63
wayne worthy
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas or anywhere I'm invited

Is it true that in the TBoT championship you have to shoot split fingers? Refering to Texas State championship also.
wayne worthy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #64
Bisch
Pope & Young

Wayne, At the Texas State Longbow Championship (which is NOT a TBoT shoot), they used to have a rule that you could not shoot 3-under. They changed that rule and 3-under is now allowed as long as one finger touches the nock.

3-under is a llowed al all TBoT shoots.
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #65
chausler
Four Point

Hunt In: parker county

Why is it I shoot good split finger with one of my bows and not the other. the other bow I shoot better three under.
chausler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #66
native_texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado and Edwards Counties

You too??!! Hi Chew ... how's it going, brother?

I just made the decision to go traditional too. Haven't ordered a bow yet but I will soon. I got a lot of great advice here in the last couple of days. Just like the guys and gals around the campfire, lots of great people here. They are willing to bend over backwards to help and get us newbies shooting straight. I know I'm gonna have lots of fun here. See ya in the LDP's brother. may God bless.
native_texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #67
Wampuscat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I say whatever works best for you works... split or 3 under. I don't cross fingers when playing golf and some people think thats strange, but it feels right to me. But that may be a bad example since I suck at golf.
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #68
ChadMR82
Six Point

Hunt In: Taking invitations

Good post! I can shoot both but prefer split.
ChadMR82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #69
Chameleon
Spike

I don't find much difference between the two, except that split finger is slightly easier to keep the arrow on the string.

I shoot 3-under because I touch the feather tip to my nose now, and that helps me quite a bit.
Chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #70
xjojox
Spike

I had a bow as a teen and shot split, but was never serious about it. I just got back into it recently, and I've gone back and forth trying to figure out what my eyes and hands like. I have some friends who shoot one way and some the other, all seasoned bowhunters and good archers, so I don't feel pressured either way, other than by what I've read about tournament rules seeming to favor (at least until recently) split. I really want to like split, it just seems "right", but for whatever reason I shoot better three under and it's more comfortable for me.

I recently bought my youngest daughter a bow, and it initially had no nock point on it. So, I surmised, here is one more reason to shoot split: in case I ever need to shoot an unfamiliar bow without a nock point (like... I'm stuck on an island and have to make one out of yew and sinew, LOL). Split would help stabilize the arrow on a suboptimal string. So once again I tried for a couple of days to just shoot split. I can do it, but three under still feels better and my groups are tighter when I shoot three under. Go figure.

I'm left eye dominant but right-handed, and shoot rightie. I aim instinctively, and since I'm a newbie I feel like I probably need to commit one way or the other in order to gel properly.
xjojox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #71
westtex
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas

I shoot 3 under. I started at split and gap shooting. Then I went to three under and pure instinctive. I's say check out rick welch on shooting instinctive, it worked out great for me. I anchor to my ear and the fletching touching my nose. the only times I've had issues was then there was a dip in the ground or if the target was just past a small rise and I couldn't see the whole distance. I shoot with just a glove and a PSE Sequoia. It's a beast of a bow, but I really like it. After trying some recurves, I think the 3 under worked well on longbows for me, but it didn't line up right on a recurve. I guess that would be the tillering you hear about.
westtex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #72
oldwibowhunter
Spike

Hunt In: Wi. MN. & CO.

3 Finger makes it easier on my pointer finger by the finger nail from pinch.
oldwibowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #73
Tex Expatriate
Nubbin' Buck

In becoming a bowyer I have learned that split finger supposedly works best when the top limb is slightly longer than the bottom, and that three-finger or Apache supposedly works best when the limbs are equally long. In my own case, I began with Apache because when I tried split finger I twisted the string and moved the arrow off the shelf. I can shoot split finger now but I do not. I prefer the Apache. As for the bows I make, I make the limbs equal in length unless a buyer prefers a longer upper limb.

Now, just this word about those who use mechanical casting devices called compound bows. If they use a mechanical release, it is going to be attached to the string right below the nocking point and nock. These mechanical bows have limbs that are equal. I am not certain that suggest that a central location of fingers is better, but I suspect so.
Tex Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #74
Tex Expatriate
Nubbin' Buck

If you use a tab you can glue a piece of leather over the string-side leather and then trim it. You can also buy "three-finger under" tabs.
Tex Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #75
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Expatriate View Post
In becoming a bowyer I have learned that split finger supposedly works best when the top limb is slightly longer than the bottom, and that three-finger or Apache supposedly works best when the limbs are equally long. In my own case, I began with Apache because when I tried split finger I twisted the string and moved the arrow off the shelf. I can shoot split finger now but I do not. I prefer the Apache. As for the bows I make, I make the limbs equal in length unless a buyer prefers a longer upper limb.

Now, just this word about those who use mechanical casting devices called compound bows. If they use a mechanical release, it is going to be attached to the string right below the nocking point and nock. These mechanical bows have limbs that are equal. I am not certain that suggest that a central location of fingers is better, but I suspect so.
Most all compounds today use a D-loop that puts the release at the same level as the nock and not below it!

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #76
dougedwards
Nubbin' Buck

Seems as if split would be best for accuracy because of the angle of the string. If both the ring and middle finger apply like pressure on each side of the arrow the string will provide a flat surface for the nock. Three under creates a slight string angle through the nock.

However, not everyone is capable of keeping the exact same pressure with both fingers on the string. That goes for three under shooters also but with fingers splitting the arrow it seems that this uneven pressure would have a greater and more adverse affect on arrow flight than fingers which were further away from the arrow.

Am I wrong?

Doug
dougedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #77
Jacobh05
Four Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

I shoot 3 under.. Seems to be more accurate for me
Jacobh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #78
jhall239
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere GOD let's me

Everytime I try to shoot split finger I torc the arrow off the shelf
jhall239 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #79
arodsamms
Nubbin' Buck

Split feels more Natural , but I shoot tighter groups with three under . I am pretty new to trad archery so I am having a hard time making up my mind Wichita technique to stick with .
arodsamms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #80
arodsamms
Nubbin' Buck

Which**
arodsamms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #81
Retsbew
Four Point

I've been shooting trad for quiet a few years and prefer split, which I started with and decided to stay with after a brief experiment with 3-under. For me, 3-under puts too much emphasis on the arrow shaft as part of the sight picture. I prefer to 'aim' without conciously using the shaft or point as a sight, having found this to be a better/faster approach for hunting, my main interest. For target shooting, 3-under does offer advantages re using the arrow as a crude sight, especially at close range (looking down the arrow) and for longer-range gapping (i.e., using the arrow point to 'aim' inches above or below the mark depending on the distance to the target...need to know yardage or have a very flat shooting set-up). All in all, split just feels more comfortable to me for shooting quickly at at the ranges/under the conditions I prefer to shoot at. But that's just me.
Retsbew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #82
rockmesteady
Spike

I shoot 3 under as well. For me it makes it easy to have a clean release and not pinch the arrow nock.

As far as tillering i shoot a samick sage so changing that is not option. I didn't notice anything until I switched from homemade yarn puffs to cat whiskers. I noticed the top one gets tangled more than the bottom when I shoot. However, I don't think it effects my shooting - since that's the only way I shoot.

And consistency is more important than anything else for getting good groups (in my opinion). You can do the craziest thing, but if you do the exact same crazy thing every time the arrow with land in the exact same crazy place.
rockmesteady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #83
bucknuts
Six Point

I just tried shooting three under. WOW, Im hitting everything im looking at . Bow is 64 inches , Had knock at 3/8 already didn't have to move it up. Arrows flying well. Hope this last or may go back to split.
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #84
chillr+helim13
Nubbin' Buck

just getting started trying both
chillr+helim13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #85
JPR79
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmesteady View Post
I shoot 3 under as well. For me it makes it easy to have a clean release and not pinch the arrow nock.

As far as tillering i shoot a samick sage so changing that is not option. I didn't notice anything until I switched from homemade yarn puffs to cat whiskers. I noticed the top one gets tangled more than the bottom when I shoot. However, I don't think it effects my shooting - since that's the only way I shoot.

And consistency is more important than anything else for getting good groups (in my opinion). You can do the craziest thing, but if you do the exact same crazy thing every time the arrow with land in the exact same crazy place.
You can adjust the tiller on the Sage... just loosen one of the bolts and keep measuring the tiller until you get the desired effect. I'd recommend adding some adhesive felt to the inside of the pockets before you set it up that way with a slightly loose limb, to prevent rattling. Just don't loosen it too far.

Adding touches of felt on the back of the limbs where the string contacts will also quiet down the bow a good bit. Amazing what you can do with a 8x11" adhesive piece of felt from the arts and crafts section in Wal-Mart.
JPR79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #86
mding
Spike

Hunt In: TX, CO, AK, MI

I shoot 3 under w/ a compound, string walking, but w/a recurve... split all the way, just feels, and shoots more naturally. As far as tiller, I set it neutral, then adjust for "feel" if the bow is bobbing up and down, because the top or bottom is stiffer, then adjust, your aiming will be more steady and your accuracy will benefit. And when I say adjust, it could be as little as a 1/12 turn, just enough to get the bolt to move.
cheers!

Last edited by mding; 08-24-2015 at 12:35 PM..
mding is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #87
Danblacksher
Nubbin' Buck

I am backwards I shot 3 under to start and just switched to split finger and shooting much better.
Danblacksher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #88
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR79 View Post
You can adjust the tiller on the Sage... just loosen one of the bolts and keep measuring the tiller until you get the desired effect. I'd recommend adding some adhesive felt to the inside of the pockets before you set it up that way with a slightly loose limb, to prevent rattling. Just don't loosen it too far.

Adding touches of felt on the back of the limbs where the string contacts will also quiet down the bow a good bit. Amazing what you can do with a 8x11" adhesive piece of felt from the arts and crafts section in Wal-Mart.
I just bought my very first bow ever, Samick Journey, and although I know I don't know squat about bows I wouldn't think that shooting a recurve with loose limb bolts would be a good idea. I've been wrong in the past though so by all means tell me if I am now.

I do like the idea of putting a little felt where the string meets the bow though.

Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #89
GunBow
Spike

I usually shoot 1 above 2 under, but I have been looking into String Walking. Seems cool, I might have to check it out. When I am not shooting my compound.
GunBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #90
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba County, Jones County and Missouri

I used some of the foam junction box seals to pad my limb pockets. That and the new string made an incredible difference in sound and hand shock/vibration.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top