Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #301
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Sippy and big mike yes over 16% isn't of awhole lot of use
To them, we also planted fruit trees, and mineral sites. Cary Zipp at Gorman/ red chain knows his stuff for sure
He helped us when we leased over off 585 and 206 outside of Coleman deer loved what he set up for us to use daily and it did well for body weight and antler mass in the 6 yrs I was out there. In fact lease mgr called and said he had my opening back up if I was interested
I had to pass, still kicking myself. My daughter got our largest to date 147 2/8
Good luck and be safe to you both!

Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 04-04-2014 at 11:44 AM..
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #302
Sippy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman/Brown

Heading out there for the first time (other than short day trips) in about a month. Moving some stands around, hog patrol, feeder filling, and yard work is on the list!
Sippy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #303
Sippy
Pope & Young

First turkey we have taken off the ranch, and tiffany's first turkey ever. 9.5" beard
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #304
BSOB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

awesome! Any velvet pics or hogs coming?
BSOB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #305
elgato
Ten Point

Great pics of your wife with the bird.
elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #306
bigmike585
Ten Point

Any updates from the ranch in coleman county?

Gonna go do some work this weekend, thought I'd see how things have been out that way. Hows the natural browse look? Been hitting the protein?
bigmike585 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #307
J.B.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike585 View Post
Any updates from the ranch in coleman county?

Gonna go do some work this weekend, thought I'd see how things have been out that way. Hows the natural browse look? Been hitting the protein?

X2. Haven't been able to get out to my place in Coleman either.... Any rain out that way recently?
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #308
Sippy
Pope & Young

I have been in Florida but will be back out there next week. It was very dry 2 weeks ago and only about 1/10th" of rain since then.

Hopefully we will get some this weekend.

In the mean time there is plenty of water out here!! Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400722279.177689.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  92.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400722301.001328.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  27.5 KB
Old 08-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #309
Sippy
Pope & Young

Its been a while!

I got a position managing a game ranch south of Brownwood, and 5 days out of the week are devoted to that place. I have neglected my place since may, but have managed to keep the feeders full and am trying to thin out the hogs... all 500 of them.
Name:  08050063.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  53.4 KB

I am playing catch up now. Sometime between the TTHA show, managing the other place, helping my dad at his place, and starting my last semester of college I will find a way to plow and plant I will pay someone to come plow and plant my 25 acres of plots!!. Whew!

I think this is a deer I saw last year several times. It is Tiffany's turn to shoot this year, and she has the green light.
Name:  07271219.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  66.5 KB
Name:  07241058.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  67.6 KB
Old 08-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #310
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Looking good! You have a plate full now. Good luck on getting everything done!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #311
EppysWorld
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Coleman and Huntsville

Let me know if you need help with those hogs!

We're just south of Coleman and have only seen 2 hogs in 9 years! (Not complaining!)

I won't get back there until Sept. Deer should be in great shape since we got a lot of water!

Did your ponds fill back up?
EppysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2014, 02:06 AM   #312
kermittxhunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: still looking

If you need any help out there with the hog population let me know I live south of coleman near shields and hunt in novice. But I don't have any pigs coming in this year and wouldn't mind working on my aim... nice place you have there by the way.
kermittxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #313
rednecktbrizz7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rusk Montalba Cisco Palestine Sabine LBJ Grasslands Whitney

Sippy looks dang good bud
rednecktbrizz7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #314
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

wow alot of pigs....what are your target bucks?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #315
TP10
Four Point

Hunt In: My buddy's place

Awesome thread!!!
TP10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #316
ElCid07
Six Point

Hunt In: Graham, Jacksonville, Naples

So did this thread die or did he pick it up in a new one?
ElCid07 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #317
Sippy
Pope & Young

I reckon i will restart this thread. Lots of changes both in the ranch and in my life. I have a new perspective and a new appreciation for all of this.

I have more free time now, and live at the ranch full time. I high fenced it back in June (i think) of last year. I have since added 5 aoudad, 11 blackbuck, and 4 deer.

It is amazing how green it is out here currently. All of my tanks are completely full, and even though i have about 40 animals in here they are not hitting the feed very hard. Plentiful groceries for all!

After i graduated i guided for a few ranches. It burned me out on hunting for a while, but i sure like seeing other people kill critters. This is Brandon, a friend of mine i hadn't seen since 2012. His wife contacted me and said she wanted to get him his first animal with a bow. Last week we made it happen! He was thrilled and (for a sheep) it was a very fun and actually pretty challenging hunt. We stalked them all through the hills and finally set up in a cedar and waited on them to come to us. Perfect shot on a beautiful silver medal dall. We found a nice picture rock on the hill that i hope sees many more smiles and trophies in the future.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #318
Sippy
Pope & Young

Back to my main focus, the deer. I trapped a few native deer when we completed the fence, and made it a point to not attract deer in and then close the fence behind them. I cut off all feeders for a month prior to completion so i didn't "steal" deer from the neighbors. I know it is legal, but it would bother me. Regardless, about 15 native deer were trapped in the fence.

I purchased 2 bred doe from a fellow , or maybe former, tbher. Wouldn't you know the luck when they threw 3 doe fawns. Oh well, better genetics and we will just have to lay off young doe harvest for a bit.

Now, i do not want my herd to be "purchased" nor completely native. I want the breeders to bring the native herd up, and the natives to bring the breeders down. That being said, i started strong with some high power genetics out of these two bucks.

The first is Dozer out of south Tx.

The second is a northern deer named Megatron (shadow over maxbo's half sister) for any breeder savvy tbhers.

No i do not really like the look of Megatron, and i don't expect any freaks after crossing his doe fawns with the native bucks.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #319
Biggs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Dakota

Tagged for reading later
Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #320
Sippy
Pope & Young

Next week everything will come full circle. Lets go back to 2011.

Just out of high school i arrived at SFA to begin the forest wildlife program. I got in touch with Dr. Kroll and began working at his facility.

I step up to the chute with no idea what to expect and the instruction to "grab antlers and hold on."

Well, when the door opened there was a very angry 330" buck making every attempt to get out of the chute. An adrenalin rush later, i was hooked.

I have kept in touch with Dr. Kroll and every year participate in his research study, which happened to be last month. In talking with them i mentioned i was looking to add a buck to the property to cover the native doe. We made an agreement and next week i will be returning back to that facility were i first developed a passion for growing deer. I don't know that anyone will really understand why or how special this is to me, but it is.

I will be picking up 3 bucks out of what i hear will be some of the last deer Dr. Kroll will ever produce.These will be coming 2 year olds. Here are a couple sires and grandsires pictured below. Can you say mass? This is not the "look" i am going for, but these will be fantastic additions to the herd.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #321
Sippy
Pope & Young

I will continue this in the next several days. I hope you enjoy, I know i sure do.

-Michael
Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #322
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

THANKS for the update! Congrats & Good luck in your endeavor!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #323
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

Congrats on living the dream!
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #324
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Looking forward to following sir...
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #325
elgato
Ten Point

Glad your back
elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #326
Karmstrong
Four Point

Hunt In: Hico & Nemo

Thanks for the update. Nice to see what you are doing to your place.
Karmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #327
Sippy
Pope & Young

I had someone send me a pm about spreading cwd...ect. I will address this for everyone.

At this point i have native deer, and deer from a certified herd. I made this decision before cwd was discovered due to the thought of what might have happened if i had deer from a lesser certified facility. As it turns out, 2 months later cwd found and restrictions were put in place. Even though i would be grandfathered in without restrictions because i purchased before the date the restrictions came out, it is good peace of mind to know that my risk of CWD is 0.

I am a Class 1 release site meaning i do not have to do any cwd testing. I have purchased 3 more bucks from another certified herd, and do not plan to ever bring in deer that are not certified.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #328
stxslayer
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall and Comfort

Glad to see you are back. I enjoy reading about your place. It is very insightful. My parents have a place about the same size and me and my brother have been dropping very big hints about high fencing it. I think my dad is coming around real slowly but might get him. Thanks for sharing all the knowledge is appreciated.
stxslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #329
Sippy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxslayer View Post
Glad to see you are back. I enjoy reading about your place. It is very insightful. My parents have a place about the same size and me and my brother have been dropping very big hints about high fencing it. I think my dad is coming around real slowly but might get him. Thanks for sharing all the knowledge is appreciated.
Feel free to ask me any questions or concerns you may have. I'd be glad to help.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #330
Karmstrong
Four Point

What type of numbers are you looking at carrying on your place? Buck to doe ratios? Exotics - what and how many?

Looking for as much information you are willing to share. I am in the process of putting up a fence on a simular size place near Hico.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #331
Sippy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmstrong View Post
What type of numbers are you looking at carrying on your place? Buck to doe ratios? Exotics - what and how many?

Looking for as much information you are willing to share. I am in the process of putting up a fence on a simular size place near Hico.
I want to be 1 deer/ 7 acres. Ideal ratio 1:1.

Currently I am 1 deer/8 acres and about 1:4.

I have 4 aoudad (1 ram 2 ewes 1 lamb of unknown sex) and 11 blackbuck (2 bucks). I may add a couple of fallow but nothing else. Exotics aren't my focus really, I just enjoy having them.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #332
Biggs
Pope & Young

Very cool read. If you get a chance, I'd like to know how you decided on those numbers^^^. And how you are going to document buck quality through the years of your stud bucks melting with native genetics?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #333
Sippy
Pope & Young

Brought a few new friends home today.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #334
Sippy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
Very cool read. If you get a chance, I'd like to know how you decided on those numbers^^^. And how you are going to document buck quality through the years of your stud bucks melting with native genetics?
If you are referring to the deer numbers, that is about as high as i believe i can keep numbers with no detrimental effects to habitat. I need to keep my numbers higher since we are dealing with small acreage in order to produce as many bucks per year. If i see that i cannot hold that many i will go to fewer numbers. This will all be trial and error honestly.

My baseline will be comparing sheds and harvested buck from past years to sheds and harvested bucks in coming years (not including breeder bucks). After averaging i am expecting a positive trend.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #335
Biggs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippy View Post
If you are referring to the deer numbers, that is about as high as i believe i can keep numbers with no detrimental effects to habitat. I need to keep my numbers higher since we are dealing with small acreage in order to produce as many bucks per year. If i see that i cannot hold that many i will go to fewer numbers. This will all be trial and error honestly.

My baseline will be comparing sheds and harvested buck from past years to sheds and harvested bucks in coming years (not including breeder bucks). After averaging i am expecting a positive trend.

Good. That seems like a narrowed trial and error...

You are doing exactly what I want to do but I will start in about a decade. I am super curious how much the breeders will change the genetics over the years. Again, exactly what I want to do...

Correct me if I'm off... You started with about 15 natives after high fencing in 2015. Two bred does dropped 3 more does that year. And then just now added 3 breeder bucks?

What are your totals now?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #336
Sippy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
Good. That seems like a narrowed trial and error...

You are doing exactly what I want to do but I will start in about a decade. I am super curious how much the breeders will change the genetics over the years. Again, exactly what I want to do...

Correct me if I'm off... You started with about 15 natives after high fencing in 2015. Two bred does dropped 3 more does that year. And then just now added 3 breeder bucks?

What are your totals now?
Im estimating on the high side this year because i didn't do a very thorough survey since we didn't hunt it and i know I'm below carrying capacity. Right now i am saying about 25-27 (on the high side). I think i probably have closer to 20 native deer in here, and will find out through survey estimates in the coming months. I know 15 minimum for sure.

With my 3 bucks and a couple of known bucks i should be about 1:3 right now. Thinking about 1 deer to 8 - 8.5 acres.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #337
Biggs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Im estimating on the high side this year because i didn't do a very thorough survey since we didn't hunt it and i know I'm below carrying capacity. Right now i am saying about 25-27 (on the high side). I think i probably have closer to 20 native deer in here, and will find out through survey estimates in the coming months. I know 15 minimum for sure.

With my 3 bucks and a couple of known bucks i should be about 1:3 right now. Thinking about 1 deer to 8 - 8.5 acres.

Awesome. Keep us updated, I really want to know how much the breeder genetics get mellowed out. This is a great case study for what I want to do.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #338
Sippy
Pope & Young

They will certainly get mellowed out, but assuming about 1/4 or so of my current herd are released deer i expect a noticeable change in 3-4 years.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #339
stxslayer
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall and Comfort

So cool the numbers are exactly what helps with the decision. You are living the dream. I want to do exactly what you have done with bringing a few in.
stxslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #340
TKK
Ten Point

I did this exact same thing ten years ago - bought a beautiful 600 acre ranch and HF it. I went a little different route in that I killed out all the native deer and put in three bred doe and 3 two year old breeder bucks. I had no plans to commercially hunt it - I just want to manage and grow some big deer. It was a blast.

The ranch became so valuable that I sold it for future financial security - I still miss it. I look forward to following your thread.

I replaced the loss of my ranch with getting lucky to get on an incredible south texas lease that I run -
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #341
Karmstrong
Four Point

Will you be bring the doe numbers down this year to balance things out? Or are you trying to get your numbers up a little?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #342
Sippy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmstrong View Post
Will you be bring the doe numbers down this year to balance things out? Or are you trying to get your numbers up a little?
Yes I will be bringing them down at the beginning of the season. I had awesome fawn crops last year and should this year as well. I'll probably take 5-8.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #343
Sippy
Pope & Young

Just got back from the former desert turned swamp in Coleman county. I have never seen it this green, and grass knee to waist high across the whole property.

One of the Bucks I purchased looks like he is going to explode this year!

I purchased 2 hinds and half ownership in a stag out of this guy. They will be delivered next week. I didn't think I wanted any, but what a stag.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #344
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

wow that is cool!

Funny how the connection you made with Mr. Kroll benefitted you and your ranch. A friendship to last a lifetime.

On a side note, do you still have a gf on TBH?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #345
Sippy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
wow that is cool!

Funny how the connection you made with Mr. Kroll benefitted you and your ranch. A friendship to last a lifetime.

On a side note, do you still have a gf on TBH?
Absolutely! He has been a fantastic contact.

Well, like I said, life has changed a bit
Old 05-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #346
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

What are you going to do to keep the grasses down? Light grazing with cattle? We have 15 head of Longhorns on 479 acres and they cant keep pace with the grass right now. Fat and happy and they only get 100lb of cubes a week.
JeffJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #347
Sippy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
What are you going to do to keep the grasses down? Light grazing with cattle? We have 15 head of Longhorns on 479 acres and they cant keep pace with the grass right now. Fat and happy and they only get 100lb of cubes a week.
I have some potential grazing leasees coming to look at the place on Sunday.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #348
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Quote:
I have some potential grazing leasees coming to look at the place on Sunday.
Cool. If you ever want some young steers for pasture art let me know. Ill have ten calves born between now and Christmas.

It sounds crazy but I have seen these 70-80" animals create passage ways in the brush over the last few years. The deer use the same trails a bunch. Plus, since we got the longhorns we have seen our hog numbers drop. Lots of old time breeders say they will run the hogs off.
JeffJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #349
Sippy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
Cool. If you ever want some young steers for pasture art let me know. Ill have ten calves born between now and Christmas.

It sounds crazy but I have seen these 70-80" animals create passage ways in the brush over the last few years. The deer use the same trails a bunch.
It has been in the back of my mind for some time. Maybe it will come to the front soon.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #350
Karmstrong
Four Point

Any update or pictures from your place?