Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 02-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #51
cz52man
Eight Point

Bought a recurve on TBH a few years ago and it's been sitting in my closet since...Don't really even know where to start. Gotta get some arrows fletched (I was stupid and bought plastic fletched ones) and then just start shooting. Sure would be nice if I could find about 6 extra hours in the day to fit in the things I need and want to do!
cz52man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #52
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

I started this year off with a movement that Scott suggested. Back to working out a little and getting in more physically fit shape. Been out of college for just over 10 years and getting a little to relaxed.
with that I think it will improve my accuracy as my bow has already started to feel a little lighter.
I would like to get a tree rat , and fill another tag with a whitetail buck.
Last, learn to shoot my new to me, (on it's way) bow left handed.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #53
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

I forgot I had put that on my list. Since the start of the year, I have lost about 15 pounds and about 3 or 4 inches back on my belt. I started strength training about 2 weeks ago and have noticed a difference as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #54
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Good to know Scott. I am always lean and never have gained much weight, just didn't feel as together as I should. As soon as I get over my broke foot I will start back my cardio. Hard to jump rope, run or anything with a gimp. LOL
Stay after it, it is my belief that physical conditioning will transfer into my shootability as well.
Congrats again on the Blackbuck. Pretty awesome critters.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #55
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Just revisiting this thread... dropped 42 pounds, gained significant strength, killed a hog with my widow... it has been a good year so far. Have to wait a few more months before I can work on my last stated goal of 2 deer with my trad bow in one season. That one is the hardest by comparison.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #56
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Scott I don't know how you had 42 pounds to lose. When we met you didn't look like you were overweight. Congrats man!

Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #57
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Just revisiting this thread... dropped 42 pounds, gained significant strength, killed a hog with my widow... it has been a good year so far. Have to wait a few more months before I can work on my last stated goal of 2 deer with my trad bow in one season. That one is the hardest by comparison.

Congrats man
I've too lost 20 lbs by cutting fast food completely out of my diet and the crazy thing is i feel stronger also In overall strength
I'm a district manager for Verizon now and I barely have time to shoot my bow lol, that will change once the summer comes around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #58
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:

Good work!!
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #59
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
I really want to kill a deer with my recurve. I'm gonna try my best to not get tunnel vision on trying to kill a good buck, and just try to kill a legal deer with my recurve. I think not running trail cams will help with this. I also want to shoot a little further, so I'll practice a lot more at 20-25 over the summer. I'll still try to keep my shots from 12-15, but I'd like to feel comfortable at 20. And when my new bow gets here I want to spend a little more time tuning and get it as close to perfect as I can.

I'm also going to space out my vacation. I normally take 3 weeks off to hunt, and this year I took it all in October. Things started slow, and when rifle season opened I just grabbed a gun and zipped through my tags on my days off. Next year I plan to take a week in October, a week in November, and a week in December.
Kinda cool to see this. I've accomplished a few of these...I'm finally shooting a really well tuned bow, shooting pretty good at 20, and have my vacations scheduled the way I outlined them in the quoted post. I'm still up in the air on whether or not to run cameras, and time will tell if I can resist the temptation to break the rifle out. If I start getting pics of a good buck consistently it's like I have to kill him... Oh and I've also added a pig and an aoudad to my list of animals taken with a trad bow.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #60
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

I want to get my first dove this season with a fluflu tipped with a snaro.
I've already killed a hog with my recurve, now I gotta get one the longbow. (Or as many as I can)
I'm going for broke on deer huntin with trad equipment. If I get em cool, if not oh well. I have three little ones who can make up the meat.
I hunted the entire turkey season with a trad bow and I've gotta say, I have a new respect for those birds. So I'll add a fall turkey to the list just to get even.

I, like CRM, am gonna focus this year on legal deer. I think not running trail cams is a great idea. If I can kill five I will. I think one or two may be a little more attainable though.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #61
mclipp
Four Point

Hunt In: cooke co

My goal is to sell all my recurves (10) as I'm unable to shoot them anymore. Sad but true.
I've 2 grandsons, so I've got to keep a couple anyway.
Lippe
mclipp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #62
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Kinda cool to see this. I've accomplished a few of these...I'm finally shooting a really well tuned bow, shooting pretty good at 20, and have my vacations scheduled the way I outlined them in the quoted post. I'm still up in the air on whether or not to run cameras, and time will tell if I can resist the temptation to break the rifle out. If I start getting pics of a good buck consistently it's like I have to kill him... Oh and I've also added a pig and an aoudad to my list of animals taken with a trad bow.
You have definitely started off your trad bow hunting adventure doing pretty darn well buddy. You've put alot of critters down in short order.

It sounds so simple, but Buff made a comment that just always stuck out to me in my mind. There isn't anything wrong with killing a deer by other means, but that is one less sit and opportunity you had to kill a deer with your bow; and therefore the odds of getting a deer with your bow go down.

The goal of killing 2 deer with my trad bow aren't really all that unrealistic. The first year I flung 2 arrows at 2 deer. The first I back strapped, the 2nd I killed. Last year, I hunted smarter based on some things I had learned. I had way more opportunities, but I just didn't capitalize on them. Realistically, I could have had 3 deer in the cooler based on arrows flung. But I had one miss, and another high hit. I even had another one practically dead to rights until my limb hit the ceiling when I was drawing (addressing that one this offseason.)
Old 05-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #63
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Kill a Bush Pig in February before Shiloh beats me to it
Attachment 833870
So Marty have you had a chance to get?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #64
WamBow
Six Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Shoot a feral monkey in south Texas
WamBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #65
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
1) I'd like to get some animals in the bed of my truck or basket of my cart with a traditional bow or two.

2) I'd like to extend my confident shooting range to double what it is now. Currently that's 15 yards.

Not quite to 30 but 25 is getting closer to reality.

3) I'd like to increase my draw weight capability to 50lbs at my draw length.

Done. Wondering about another 5lbs . . .

4) I'd like to purchase a 50lbs at my draw length BW PSR and shoot it well.

No PSR but I have a PSA. Still saving for that one.

5) Last but not least I would like to link up with some local traditional shooters, get back into a local club and learn how bad I am at this new obsession.

Too much work at the new ranch, scout outings, work and building deer stands for much hunting or club shooting.

Gary

Old 05-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #66
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
So Marty have you had a chance to get?

It rained out on his trip.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #67
DRT
Pope & Young

Crud. I was looking forward to seeing the mount.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #68
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
You have definitely started off your trad bow hunting adventure doing pretty darn well buddy. You've put alot of critters down in short order.

It sounds so simple, but Buff made a comment that just always stuck out to me in my mind. There isn't anything wrong with killing a deer by other means, but that is one less sit and opportunity you had to kill a deer with your bow; and therefore the odds of getting a deer with your bow go down.

The goal of killing 2 deer with my trad bow aren't really all that unrealistic. The first year I flung 2 arrows at 2 deer. The first I back strapped, the 2nd I killed. Last year, I hunted smarter based on some things I had learned. I had way more opportunities, but I just didn't capitalize on them. Realistically, I could have had 3 deer in the cooler based on arrows flung. But I had one miss, and another high hit. I even had another one practically dead to rights until my limb hit the ceiling when I was drawing (addressing that one this offseason.)
Thanks man!! Buff is absolutely right. As happy as I was with my buck last year, I had hunted the same spot the day before I killed him with my bow. Chances are, I would have had a chance with my bow the day I killed him if I'd taken it, and that was one of my first thoughts!!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #69
76aggie
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay Co., Schleicher Co.

My only real goal for the upcoming season is to be able to comfortably pull back my bow without all the pain in my shoulder. I have been rehabbing the shoulder since February and am finally starting to get fairly comfortable again.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #70
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Im just getting started on my Trad journey. My goal is to find a bow that fits me and get good enough with it to try my luck on a hog. Maybe get some small game mixed in.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #71
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Work More and hunt less!!! ( I'm trying reverse psychology!! The other way never pans out like I want)
Randy Madden is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #72
DRT
Pope & Young

Not sure it works that way but it probably can't hurt.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #73
Trumpkin
Four Point

Hunt In: Still searching

1. Get back to shooting every day
2. kill something with my longbow here in Texas
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #74
Ronnie
Six Point

Hunt In: Schliecher county

I think I might like to learn how to get into 3d shooting between hunting seasons.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #75
DRT
Pope & Young

Just wondering how everyone has progressed in their goals for the year so far. I know most of mine are not looking good but a couple of them are becoming realistic.

Last edited by DRT; 08-15-2017 at 03:16 PM..
Old 08-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #76
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
1) I'd like to get some animals in the bed of my truck or basket of my cart with a traditional bow or two.

2) I'd like to extend my confident shooting range to double what it is now. Currently that's 15 yards.

3) I'd like to increase my draw weight capability to 50lbs at my draw length.

4) I'd like to purchase a 50lbs at my draw length BW PSR and shoot it well.

5) Last but not least I would like to link up with some local traditional shooters, get back into a local club and learn how bad I am at this new obsession.

Gary
1. No dead critters yet but with work on the ranch hunting time has been nil this year. Although I have scared a couple rabbits.

2. 25 yards is getting reasonable but I still have the unexplained flyer here and there when my form breaks down.

3. I've reached my goal draw weight.

4. The PSA will have to do. Hemorrhaging money on the ranch is more important than the bow right now. Maybe next summer.

5. Never got to the club thing but I did enjoy the weekend at Big Oak. Learned a little and realized I was making progress.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #77
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

1. Finish the extra-large box blind so I can kill a whitetail with my longbow!

2. Finish the bow build that I started this last spring!

3. Make, hunt and kill some pigs with primitive arrows ( Flint heads attached)

4. Get in better shape for hunting in the Mts. of Colorado.

5. Go to more 3d trad shoots!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #78
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Mine are coming along pretty good. I don't wanna jinx myself but my shooting has been really good the last week or so, after going through a short slump for a couple weeks before that. I've got some good setups ready and don't have one single solitary camera out. I'll just be surprised when I see what's eating my corn. Hopefully pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #79
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'll just be surprised when I see what's eating my corn. Hopefully pleasantly surprised.
If only you had put out a camera....

Old 08-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #80
Trumpkin
Four Point

Hunt In: Still searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
1. Get back to shooting every day
2. kill something with my longbow here in Texas
Well, number 1 has happened! Give or take a day here and there, I'm shooting regularly and I'm comfortable at 12-15 yards already, with 20 looking more doable by the day.
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #81
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Fields View Post
1. Take a Black Bear in Maine.

2. Have another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt with my Texas friends.

Other than that I'll just roll with whatever opportunities arise.

I really want for my wife and I to get back to South Texas to chase Javis, but I don't see that happening in 2017.
We had another great TBH Trad hog hunt in April. I leave for my Maine Bear hunt in 11 days, and I have a pig/javi hunt booked in south Texas in February for me and the wife and some buddies from NC.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #82
kmon
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

I haven't taken anything but a jack rabbit in over 25 years with traditional archery, about time I change that Looking for a nice doe or buck this year
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #83
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

My shooting is the best it's ever been, took some more Joel Turner online classes and I've really found a good pedigree to work with, my endurance fitness is exceptional, I cut down on the beer and haven't had fast food in 7 months which helped me take my fitness to another level, plus my wife is pregnant with our first so life is great. Taking any deer at this point would be a bonus.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #84
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
My shooting is the best it's ever been, took some more Joel Turner online classes and I've really found a good pedigree to work with, my endurance fitness is exceptional, I cut down on the beer and haven't had fast food in 7 months which helped me take my fitness to another level, plus my wife is pregnant with our first so life is great. Taking any deer at this point would be a bonus.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
Awesome!! Congrats on all of it, but most of all the kiddo!!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #85
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
Awesome!! Congrats on all of it, but most of all the kiddo!!

Thanks really excited about being a dad for sure, stuck with one weapon all offseason without the typical buying and changing my weapons like a usually do which throws things off a tad. I believe this season will be a great year for east Texas deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk