Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 05-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home
Default Longbow guys

I traded for a Striker and it is noisy. Much worse than my almost silent recurves.
It has puffs and limbsavers on the limbs so I figure it has to be a brace height issue. The arrows are at 9.08 gpp on a 45 pound bow. What is a typical brace height for r/d bow? I think it is a tad over 7" now
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
hammackc
Ten Point

Hunt In: My House, Fredericksburg

Start at 8, work down from there, I don't have a Striker, but Google says 7.5-8 inches

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
hammackc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

My superstition likes 8 1/4".
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

My longbow is set right at 7 and I don't think I have heard it yet. Most of the noise is the string leaving my glove and the arrow impact. All my longbow has on it are the beaver fur silencers. Mine also is not a striker, and not a hybrid. Maybe that's the difference is limb design?
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

I have it up to 7 1/2" now. It is better but still making more noise than several of my recurves. I will take it up some more and listen. It is an easy bow to shoot and feels tiny compared to the rest of the stable. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
hammackc
Ten Point

Which model and specs if you don't mind me asking

Old 05-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Retsbew
Four Point

Sounds like you're in the ballpark fro brace height at 7.5", though you may want to check it again after checking a few more things.

First, make sure the limbs don't have any twist. Simply look lengthwise down the bow when it is strung. Even a slight twist (usually easily fixed by bumping the limb) can cause bow noise.

Also check that your limb silencers are tight on the string. Loose silencers (especially fur strips, like beaver balls) can buzz quite a bit. Is the string itself in good shape...no cut strands or loose serving? if so, try another string.

Is the string nock set high enough? Most split finger shooters get by with .5" high, or maybe .75" if you shoot three under. Make sure the nocks themselves are tight on the string.

Are you sure the arrows you're using are the right spine for the bow? It makes a difference.

Finally, how's your release? if you 'pluck' the string at all you may get noise, especially if any of the above aren't quite right.

Hope you find a solution.
Retsbew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

Check you puffs to make sure they are tight. I had a "ping" sound from a longbow years ago and it turned out to be a loose silencer. Sounds like you need to go up to 7 3/4" or more on the brace.
splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
Selfbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me

I brace my selfbows at 6-61/2 . If you want a quite bow get a selfbow.
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #10
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

I do not know the model of the bow. It looks identical to the one pictured in the 3 Rivers flyer that came out about a month or six weeks ago. Nice looking woods with a flair and pretty veneers under clear glass. They sell for $950 at 3 Rivers. I will see if I can find a picture of it
Selfbows? No thanks. I have no interest in self bows, flat bows, or Hill style. They are about as appealing to me as tofu or soybean burgers. My shooter recurves are nearly silent after I find the sweet spot and correct arrow. I expect this bow will be also but I just need some pointers on what these straighter sticks like. I really don't know if a low brace or high brace is better or customary. I don't care for low brace height bows and have bruises to explain why I don't. This one seems to shoot well and quieter at higher brace. I probably need to pull the string and take a half inch out as it is getting a lot of twist in it.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Here are a couple pictures in case one of you can identify the model.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #12
hammackc
Ten Point

Good looking

Old 05-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

I'd start at 8" or 8 1/2"
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #14
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

My r/d bows do best around 7 1/4". I also think those limb savers aren't doing any good where they are at. Most vibrations are mid limb.
What type of string and what is the strand count?
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

All the more experienced folk havent brought this up so Im feeling like this is inconsequential but:
I was under the notion that trad arrow weight should be between 10-12gpp for target arrows and 15-16gpp for hunting arrows. Maybe a heavier arrow would help silence the bow?

Also...a bowyer once told me... that he doesnt set the string silencers evenly distributed because the string travels in an uneven wave and its often not evenly distributed....so the silencers shouldnt be either. However I know some archers that like everything symmetrical.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-06-2017 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: NoButSpake
Briar Friar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #16
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

I am at 8 1/4" now and have determined that I am getting string slap on the top limb. I will get that taken care of.

The limbsavers were on it when I got it. I agree, they are worthless at that location.

As to arrows, will somebody please explain how you can get a carbon arrow spined correctly for a 45# bow up above 10 gpp. I assume a 500 spine shaft is where to start. They weigh about 7.3 gpi. At 29 1/2" that means something like a 240 grain point. That much weight on a 500 should make it extremely weak.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #17
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
I am at 8 1/4" now and have determined that I am getting string slap on the top limb. I will get that taken care of.

The limbsavers were on it when I got it. I agree, they are worthless at that location.

As to arrows, will somebody please explain how you can get a carbon arrow spined correctly for a 45# bow up above 10 gpp. I assume a 500 spine shaft is where to start. They weigh about 7.3 gpi. At 29 1/2" that means something like a 240 grain point. That much weight on a 500 should make it extremely weak.
I have to start with I have no personal experience with Striker bows.

-If you're getting string slap on the top limb, you almost certainly need more brace height due to the design of the bow.

-Yes, the limb dampeners are doing the bow no service. Remove them and use double sided tape to find a sweet spot. Once a good location is determined then, get some new dampeners.

-In order to increase arrow weight, simply get higher spined arrows and use more weight up front. You can also add weight to the nock end of the arrow, this will require more weight up front to re-gain the tune.

I did look at the Striker WWW site, they no longer offer 3pc longbows (maybe there's a reason?).

In my limited experience longbows and recurves tune exactly the same so there should really be no secret solution to tuning/ silencing a longbow... Get the arrow weight up to at least 9gpp... Use proper spined arrows... Bare shaft tune, paper tune or broadhead tune, just tune arrows to bow.

Good luck and have fun with the never ending puzzle.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #18
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Beman Centershot 500s are 8.3gpi. Easton Axis Trad 500s are 8.9gpi.
Briar Friar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #19
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Beman Centershot 500s are 8.3gpi. Easton Axis Trad 500s are 8.9gpi.
So, 29 1/4 * 8.9 = 260.325

450-260.325=189.675 grains for point, insert, and nock

My problem is that my 500 shafts show weak with a 145 grain point. To get them tuned they fly best with 125 grain points. I grab some of my 400 shafts and they show stiff with 245 grain points. I don't see an option in carbon shafts to get where I need to be. The ideal shaft would be something that weighs about twelve grains per inch and flexes like a 500.

I have about seven bows that I shoot regularly. I keep about three dozen arrows in 500 spine with some tipped with 125 and some with 145. I also keep a couple of dozen arrows in 400 spine with almost all of them tipped with 245 grains. Most of my bows are 50-52 pound bows and they all like the 400s set up that way. Flight is not perfect, but I can live with a little nock left or nock right. The Striker shoots the 500s like darts with 125 grain points but the gpp is way low. I have no inclination to begin setting up certain arrows for certain bows. In fact, I will sell the odd ball bow that is a bit quirky and won't digest arrows like the rest of the pack. I really like the Striker and will try to damper the string slap. If I can't get it done with what is on hand I will list it for sale. By the way, I already have a new to me long bow headed my way. 64" 53#
Old 05-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #20
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

caughtandhobble

3 Rivers Spring catalog shows a New Striker Takedown Classic Deluxe that looks like mine except it is 60". Item number 2297X. $949.99. Recurve limbs for ONLY $549.99. sheesh!

I am thinking that Striker may have made a deal for 3 Rivers to market the takedowns. Just a guess though.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #21
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

Describe the noise.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #22
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Rick, it is a single string slap on the top limb about three quarters to half an inch below the string groove. I could see wax on the limb where the string was popping on the limb. I cleaned that off and put a felt dot on. It still makes the slap sound but is muffled a bit. It sounds like a recurve when the brace height gets too low.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #23
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

A long bow with the string contacting the limb? Maybe raise the BH a little more. I don't know.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

For grins, I grabbed some of the 400 spine arrows with 225 grain points. Total arrow weight of 484 grains or so. Noticeable loss of speed and I had to adjust some for drop. The string does not slap with that heavy arrow and all that I hear is a little hum from the string. Not bad, but I am not taking this bow hunting for anything larger than a rabbit.