Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
toddblue68
Six Point

Hunt In: TX
Default Hog Hunting on Ray Roberts

Anyone have any luck? It's been several years since I've hunted there (duck) but even then saw scat in several places along the lake shore. Anyone seeing them in a general area they would be willing to share? I'm not new to public land hunting and walking isn't an issue but also don't want to spend extreme amounts of time wandering around if I don't have to.

Other public land I've hunted (Bois D'Arc, Grasslands, Lavon) it hasn't taken long to find heavy travel areas. Is Ray Bob as infested?
toddblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Atoka, OK

ill be watching this thread
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
mossbear
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere possible

toddblue68 I sent you a pm.
mossbear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
RemMan700
Ten Point

I hunt private land that borders the COE land right where FM 922 crosses over the first fork of the lake when you are heading east on FM 922 from I-35. The limited time I deer hunted last year I took a shot at a 250lb range boar (bad shot and did not find him). I also had one walk up to me while I was fixing the timer on the feeder but it was 30min after it got dark. So two sightings within about 8 days of hunting. I know I had a lot of them come in to the feeder at night because the ground below it was continuously being rooted up .
RemMan700 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
toddblue68
Six Point

Thanks guys. Sounds like the West side might be a good area to scout. The sign I saw was on the north side of the lake off 922. The road is Harpole. It was probably 5 years ago, but I'm sure they're still there.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
WoodyGraham
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Watching and waiting for some good news.
WoodyGraham is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
MojoTexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!

I'm planning on heading up there some weekend in the near future. I'll post what I find.
MojoTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
toddblue68
Six Point

Sadly, life gets in the way. Rode a mtn bike race last weekend and was training prior to that. But hoping to get out this weekend if weather is favorable.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
texashunter74
Eight Point

Hunt In: Love County, OK

It has been a few years but we had luck hunting North of Tioga on 377. Take 377 to Hog Town rd. you will go north of Tioga cross the lake and I believe it is your next right. Then go a couple of miles and turn right on Welsh School Rd. till it dead ends. There is an entrance to the Texas Parks and Wildlife hunting area.

This is not a grand slam but we shot 3 hogs over a couple of years. Maybe a 1 hog every 5 trips. We almost always saw or heard them. The lake level will play a major role in your luck. If the water is high the hogs move back to private property. However if the water is a little low you can catch them going from the tree line to the water. We use to sit on the edge of the tree line wait for the hogs to go to water and then move to where they left the trees and would try to ambush them on the way back.

1 important thing. Make sure you have your public lands permit. I believe the Land owner at the end of the road calls the game warden almost every time we went there. He was always nice but then again we were always legal.

The last hunt we did out there we used Hog in Heat and would have really done well if we could have stayed quite and still.
texashunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
toddblue68
Six Point

That just looks like a favorable area for pigs. I also see why the homeowner might call...on occasion being right next to the turn around. I'd guess they might have a few come up in their yard on occasion too though. I've always gone left in Tioga. This has merit on those days when the wind is out of the south.

Thanks guys. Making plans this long weekend already.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Plenty here....come kill em all!!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
MojoTexas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter74 View Post
It has been a few years but we had luck hunting North of Tioga on 377. Take 377 to Hog Town rd. you will go north of Tioga cross the lake and I believe it is your next right. Then go a couple of miles and turn right on Welsh School Rd. till it dead ends. There is an entrance to the Texas Parks and Wildlife hunting area.

This is not a grand slam but we shot 3 hogs over a couple of years. Maybe a 1 hog every 5 trips. We almost always saw or heard them. The lake level will play a major role in your luck. If the water is high the hogs move back to private property. However if the water is a little low you can catch them going from the tree line to the water. We use to sit on the edge of the tree line wait for the hogs to go to water and then move to where they left the trees and would try to ambush them on the way back.

1 important thing. Make sure you have your public lands permit. I believe the Land owner at the end of the road calls the game warden almost every time we went there. He was always nice but then again we were always legal.

The last hunt we did out there we used Hog in Heat and would have really done well if we could have stayed quite and still.
That was one of the places I checked out. Looked great.

Is it legal to hunt the WMA at night for hogs? Anyone know?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
Wack-n-Stack
Six Point

Hunt In: Wichita County, Any WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoTexas View Post
That was one of the places I checked out. Looked great.

Is it legal to hunt the WMA at night for hogs? Anyone know?
It is not legal.
Wack-n-Stack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
toddblue68
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
Plenty here....come kill em all!!
Where's here?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
toddblue68
Six Point

Back at the end of May, I scouted the Culp Branch Unit on the south side of the lake as well as several units south of FM 3002. Saw sign but VERY little of it compared to other places I've hunted in east Texas.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
MojoTexas
Ten Point

I have lately started hog hunting at Lavon Lake. Only gone once so far. I saw some signs but no hogs. It is much closer than Lake Ray Roberts, so that's where I am going to focus my efforts.

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #17
toddblue68
Six Point

mojo, I've been out to Lavon once. We scouted 3 or 4 locations and saw a lot of sign. It was some time ago, there was a lot of water and trails were very plain. Didn't see or hear any pigs, but it was apparent they were there in numbers.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #18
bustinhides
Six Point

Hunt In: lake lavon corps,telephone,

been huntig on lake lavon for years ,the best areas with the largest numbers of hogs are at the end of bridgefarmer rd and airport drive,there are large numbers of hogs there.if u hand spread corn out there which is the only way u can they will b back .if u go down to the second entrance off of 346 just over the bridge and head in at that location u will c good sign.they like to run the edge of the hardwoods traveling west to east until they get to the big creek.I like to set up in a ground blind off the trails has worked great for me. Another great place is off of 78 at indian creek i have seen the largest numbers out there.You can either hunt them right off the gaspipeline or back in the woods.I have found that they like to stay in those sapling thickets out there until it cools down then they head out looking for food.pipeline is great spot to catch them crossing.heresone from this year
Attached Images

bustinhides is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #19
texashunter74
Eight Point

Hunt In: Love County, OK

Nice Hog. Thanks for the info
texashunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
MojoTexas
Ten Point

Wow...thanks for the tips. I'm recovering from hand surgery but as soon as I am better I am itching to head out to Lavon again.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #21
DaneGarcia
Nubbin' Buck

Default Ray Roberts Hog Hunting

I have been out to Ray Roberts the last two days hog hunting, the hogs are still there for sure. I got within 20 yards of one today; however, missed my shot but a couple of inches. Was pretty disappointed in myself. Oh well, I hopefully will get another chance soon. I'm not willing to disclose the location, put in your time scouting the areas and you will have not problem finding hog tracks trust me! I have only been out there 3 times (1 scouting trip, and 2 hunting trips) On both hunting trips I found hogs bedded up, I got one my first trip but was unable to track it due to it going into the thickest mosquite patch I have ever seen. On today's trip I just simply shot a few inches too high.
DaneGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #22
deberg1122
Nubbin' Buck

Dane quick question. Ive been out there about 3 times as well, saw a ton of tracks too. Was wondering if you set up a blind or tree stand. I've done both and have had no luck at all. Been at dawn and dusk and still heard and saw nothing. Just wondering. I know there out there. Even saw where they have been bedded up. Were you stalking? Baiting? thanks.
deberg1122 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2017, 10:13 PM   #23
Knot at work
Spike

Never put thought into hunting around that lake but boy does it have some hog sized bass for having a bass tournament every single day lol. The north end looks like it would hold hogs. Very thick up there
Knot at work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #24
Txbowslaughter
Four Point

A buddy and I were out here a few weeks ago, saw 4 sows about 30 piglets and a small boar. Wish my bow was tuned in correctly..
Txbowslaughter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top