No announcement yet.

St Augustine Iron Deficiency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

over watering was my first thought, but that kills that theory.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
      Your grass looks thin at those spots. How about a thin layer of compost over the areas? Say about a half inch. It will at least add some nutrients to the area. Just buy a couple bags of the good stuff.
      I had a similar issue last year and I put down some compost and it greened up nicely. I thought I had grubs but couldn't find any and I listened to Randy Leman one day and he recommended compost to another person.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
        I had a similar issue last year and I put down some compost and it greened up nicely. I thought I had grubs but couldn't find any and I listened to Randy Leman one day and he recommended compost to another person.
        Just any good compost in a bag?

Comment

I resodded my front yard after taking out two bald cypress trees. The St. Augustine just wouldn't grow under them and the rest of the grass just wasn't that great. Added nitrogen a month or so ago and mine is really looking good!!

Soil test wouldn't hurt but I bet it's the iron...

Comment

I have a couple streaks like this too.I read iron deficiency also.

Comment

I am having the same issues. Soil test said it was anemic. Needs iron
              I suspected it was the Scotts weed and feed I used this year

Comment

Im just agreeing with whatever RMW says. Hes a pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigDraw View Post
                  Interesting. I always use that really early on, then once it warms up and starts growing, I use a 15-5-10. May have to see if this iron works and then maybe not use Scott’s next year and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                    Just any good compost in a bag?
                    I just bought some at Lowe's, i don't remember what i got i don't think it was anything special.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDraw View Post
                      funny thing every year that i used Scott's weed feed i get chinch bugs and when i don't i don't get them, i wonder if the lack of iron attracts them.

Comment

Need some iron or someone walking down the street is taking a leak in your yard.

Comment

This is about the yellowing you are seeing.....Randy Lemmon is a good site for all grass/gardens/plants questions.....See his lawn fertilizing schedule..

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                            Seems weird it would be iron deficient in just a few spots. It's struggling for a reason. Probably bugs or fungal
                            Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                            http://www.randylemmon.com/lawns/Gar...k_07-17-03.htm

This is about the yellowing you are seeing.....Randy Lemmon is a good site for all grass/gardens/plants questions.....See his lawn fertilizing schedule..
                            After reading this I change my mind. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                              http://www.randylemmon.com/lawns/Gar...k_07-17-03.htm

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              After reading this I change my mind. Thanks for the link.
                              Thanks for the link.

Well we will see what happens. I started with the cheapest option first and that was the liquid Ironite which attaches to the water hose. I was at Walmart yesterday afternoon so I picked up a bottle and treated the front yard with it. I’ll update in a few days, or when I see improvement. Supposedly the liquid form is fast acting since it is absorbed through the roots AND the leaves.

Comment

Iron deficiency can look patchy like that in new growth but I'm thinking it's fungal. East Texas soils are usually acidic and don't have micronutrient deficiencies. Without an up close pic, google grey leaf spot and see if that's what you have.

Comment

Working...
                                X