No announcement yet.

Prickly Pear Jelly and Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got some prickly pear wine brewing as we speak. First go at it.

Comment

We just bought a place in Tilden which has a big cactus flat on it and my wife and daughter went crazy with it making jelly and syrup. We've had prickly pear Mojitos, Margaritas and Coladas. All were good!

Any chance we could get a recipe for that pie?

Comment

What time of year do you pick the mesquite beans?

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
          Can she ship?
          she sure can.

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
            Any chance we could get a recipe for that pie?
            I'll second this request on the recipe for that pie.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
              Wow, your wife does a great job on the jellies. I picked up a couple of jars at Steve's in Rs.

Comment

Oh man, this thread is developing nicely!! Hope there are still some purple pears on our place down South when I go in 2 weeks!! If not, I'll give 'er heck next year!!

Oh and I third the request for that pie recipe!!

Comment

That pie sounds delicious.

Comment

4th for the pie recipe, please sir

Comment

Hey gang, I did a a quick DDG search and found this pie recipe and it sounds/looks delicious!!

Prickly pears may seem intimidating. They are covered in protective glochids for goodness sake. That simply means they have teeny tiny spikes.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                        Can someone post up a recipe?
                        I posted this recipe about 9 years ago:

I have about 5 pounds of the pears thawing out over a colander right now, as I'm trying a new process for juicing them. If all goes well, I'll post all the particulars in the recipe forum in a few days with pics and possibly video.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                          How do you know then they are ripe? Mine at the house are from green to purple.

Also, how do you harvest them. I am afraid I will end up with all those little quills in my hands.
                          Tongs, then a blow torch to remove the "hairs"

Comment

I've just been deeeep down a rabbit hole on YouTube... did a search for Prickly Pear Jelly, then jam, then juice, then syrup... I've got some cactus harvesting to do hopefully next trip!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              I've just been deeeep down a rabbit hole on YouTube... did a search for Prickly Pear Jelly, then jam, then juice, then syrup... I've got some cactus harvesting to do hopefully next trip!!
                              Ha! I did the exact same thing last week. I brought the first batch of prickly pears home for my neighbor, then after seeing their jelly and syrup and wanted to do it on my own. Dozens of YouTube videos later, here we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                                Got some prickly pear wine brewing as we speak. First go at it.
                                What’s the recipe for this. Headed to the lease soon and hopefully have a bucket full on the way back with me

Comment

Working...
                                X