Fuel for a 60’s Ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
    I run super from the pumps and add lead additive to it for my 66 Cuda.
    Nice classic! Love those old cudas!

Comment

Congratulations Humper - She's in awesome shape!

I believe that car is running 10:5:1 compression? If she doesn't knock under acceleration with 94 octane, she should be fine with 94 octane pump?

My 83 Z/28 - 9:5:1 compression, is fine with 94 pump, but pings on anything lower. That's the compression to ping report for modern pump hi-test.

I'm running 94 Pump gas, adding fuel stabilizer and Red Line lead additive in a 1967 HI-PO 289 Mustang engine - C4 auto 3 speed & Ford 9" rear - in the 50 BIDNESS COUPE restomod.

If you run her nice and easy, nothing super hard, hot and heavy on the block performance wise.....she should be fine. Being such a clean classic vette, I wouldn't push her too hard. I bought a Honda SI with turbo and 6 on the floor to cover those needs

Comment

Thanks Rob and nice ride there. The 2014 C7 will let me get my power urges met The C2 is a cruise wagon that I plan on babying.

Comment

One day - we should gather at a cruise somewhere with a group of us gear heads.

Exxon has a report, back somewhere in the 90s, leading into the discontinued LEADED GAS movement of 2000. The report stated, testing with unleaded fuels, in these older engines......all is fine as long as you aren't towing and or running at high rpm for extended periods of time.

Based on the Exxon report, running these engines in cruiser mode, should be fine for them.

Let me know when you hit the Hill Country - I'm in Boerne. We could cruise the backroads from Boerne to Fredericksburg to Comfort and Kerrville. Lotta gear heads here on the weekends big time.
          Last edited by AtTheWall; 09-04-2020, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
            You only want around 100 octane, not 110, it probably won't completely burn fuel with that high of octane. Av gas is a good idea, I think the stuff I used to buy was 104 octane. VP makes all types of fuel, depending on where you are, can be pretty easy to get.

I would probably ask the owner of the car, when was the last time the engine was rebuilt. If the engine has been rebuilt in the last 30 years, it probably already has hardened exhaust valve seats. If so, you can run high octane unleaded fuel. Still only need about 100 octane.

Also something else to keep in mind. That thing having a flat tappet cam shaft and being a small block Chevy, you definitely need to either run oil with zinc in the oil or you need to put a zinc additive in the oil. Some people will tell you, you can add the zinc every other oil change, I am going to say that is BS. I would put the zinc in the oil every time or put oil with zinc in it. I use Valvoline Racing VR1 in most everything, it is a very good oil. It has zinc in it. By the time you buy a decent oil and then buy the zinc additive, the VR1 oil is cheaper.

Also on the fuel, make sure the fuel is ethanol free, all leaded fuels will be, unleaded fuels may have ethanol in them. If it is a race fuel, as long as it's not E85 race fuel, M1 or E1 race fuel, it will be ethanol free.

I don't know how much of the state VP has gas stations in, but around San Antonio, they have quite a few stations, VP's head quarters is in San Antonio. At the local VP stations, you can buy 5 gallon cans of VP fuel. Then there are a few VP stations, you can buy either 104 or 108 octane fuel right out of the pump.
            This is great advice, especially the VR1 oil

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
              [ATTACH]1017771[/ATTACH]
              That is also my dream car! Congratulations!

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                NOT jet fuel---it is more like kerosene. Aviation gas--but not the low 80-87 octane
                Is jet fuel higher octane?

Comment

Beautiful car.....congrats!

Comment

Great looking car. That is on my list as well, just different color.

Comment

Beautiful car! Congratulations!

I have a '63 with the same engine. I also have the original users manual and it specs minimum 101 octane. It also gives pointers on how to double clutch under racing conditions. That's back when user's manuals were actually useful.

I just ran unleaded with lead additive until I had the engine rebuilt. Now I don't drive enough to really worry about it.

Comment

I figured you were getting another Miata Jeff. What a let down.

Good lookin vette brutha.

Comment

Sweet rides!!

Comment

We all need to meet for a hill country cruise some weekend next spring.

Comment

If it’s the original heads with no work then pump gas with a lead additive will be fine.Were running 11:01 LS motors on pump gas with 550hp and doing fine.With the money you’ll be spending on 100-110 octane gas you can take it to a shop and have the heads rebuilt and get a little more power and run pump gas.Sweet ride though,my dad was a big corvette guy but I’ve just always been to big and tall to look good in one,give me a square body chevelle and a big block👍🏼

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                                Is jet fuel higher octane?
                                Jet fuel is kerosene. AV gas-aviation gas is high octane gasoline made to run in piston driven airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X