Porcupine in the backyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porcupine in the backyard

Couldn’t figure out what to do with this sucker. My dogs cornered it yesterday morning, one of them getting a few quills in the face. Thought it had made it’s way out of the yard, as the dogs were out a few times during the day after I left for work. I let them back out after feeding them last night, and again, a nose full of quills. The porcupine was still cornered their when I went to bed at 11 last night, but nowhere to be found this morning. What would you have done?

Click image for larger version

Name:	C4F588BB-26E4-4E61-A45F-2923B09D543D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	25217594

Click image for larger version

Name:	760B40B0-8816-47A0-BDC8-6FECD8FD5395.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	25217595

Todd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You did the right thing. Just let him go on his own.

Comment

22 bullet for the trespasser.

Comment

Before I went to my beloved A&M back in the mid-70's, I worked for a vet in Big Spring and I don't know how many ranchers would bring their dogs in with a face full of quills that we had to pull. I didn't even know there were porcupines in west Texas.

Comment

I would have fletched him. There are a ton of them these days in central Texas. Between Marble Falls and Johnson city there is almost always at least one roadkill porcupine everytime i drive by. When i was a kid our neighbor killed one and it was like a strange oddity back then, now they are everywhere here.

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
              I would have fletched him. There are a ton of them these days in central Texas. Between Marble Falls and Johnson city there is almost always at least one roadkill porcupine everytime i drive by. When i was a kid our neighbor killed one and it was like a strange oddity back then, now they are everywhere here.
              My dumbass didn't even think of getting my bow out! And I call myself a "bowhunter", geez! I''ve got a lot of soul searching to do....

Todd

Comment

Shot it.

Comment

I'd count my lucky stars that you didn't have A LOT more quills to pull out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    My thoughts exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Between morning and evening, I think I pulled out only 15. Yes, I was lucky! Charlotte (the dog), is very obedient and was easy to call off, though I did have to wrestle her quite a bit during the quill extraction!

Todd

Comment

If you have trees you don't want destroyed, kill that sucker. If not, then just let it go on its own...

Comment

I know I've told this story here before but my cousins had a red heeler that would deliberately hunt porcupines and I assume killed them because he'd come back looking like he rolled on one. Those quills would be in his mouth,all over his face,chest and legs and he'd just stand there and let you pull them out. He'd occasionally yelp but for the most part he sat there and let you pull them all and never made a sound. He'd be right back out looking for another one shortly after.

Toughest dog I've ever been around. Probably not the brightest though.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 07-08-2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rtarcher View Post
                            Between morning and evening, I think I pulled out only 15. Yes, I was lucky! Charlotte (the dog), is very obedient and was easy to call off, though I did have to wrestle her quite a bit during the quill extraction!

Todd
                            We gave them whisky and honey with an aspirin crushed in it. That was for 100s of quills though, and some less than obedient bird dogs..

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              If you have trees you don't want destroyed, kill that sucker. If not, then just let it go on its own...
                              I lost some trees in Brownwood last year and some one suggested that Porcupine are hard on trees! I never would have thought thst

Comment

Working...
                              X