why no moose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why no moose?

why is there no high fence or moose breeders? asking for a friend.

A little too hot in TX for moose.

Comment

My guess is that they just don't do well in pens. I wonder this all the time though. I know they do have Elk breeding facilities, but I've never heard of moose, or mule deer facilities.

Comment

Like Bison, Moose are hard to fence or contain. An operator would have to invest in fencing that would look like a Jurassic Park scene.

Comment

I'm more concerned about why more than one goose is "geese" but more than one moose isn't "meese". Things that keep me up at night.

Comment

ever seen any moose at a zoo?

Comment

Wyoming G&F had or has some at their Sybille Facility for a while. They just seems to not do really well behind a high fence. Their pens are not huge though but are along a creek.

Comment

Maybe that's one that the " I dont have time to hunt " crowd is actually going to have to hunt if they want one.

Comment

There’s moose on high fence just south of bandera, or there was a few years ago.

Comment

Dont the states in the northern mid west have more strict (or atleast different) fence laws than we do?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                      My guess is that they just don't do well in pens. I wonder this all the time though. I know they do have Elk breeding facilities, but I've never heard of moose, or mule deer facilities.
                      I agree with this. I don't know of many high fence pronghorn operations either.
                      I'm guessing moose, mule deer, antelope, caribou, etc... don't do that well in high fence operations. Pretty sure the market would be there for hunters to pay to shoot some roided out freaks. But I'm personally glad those animals are not commonly set up in breeder situations. I guess I don't like seeing big deer and wondering if they are just farm animals. To each their own. I don't mind people shooting farmed animals, but I wouldn't pay much to do it. Not saying I wouldn't do it. I just don't value it very highly.

Comment

Too hot and you would need a pipe fence to keep them in.

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                          ever seen any moose at a zoo?

Yes I have. Lansing Michigan zoo. They claim they’re hard to keep captive due to their dietary needs and need water to wade in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                            There’s moose on high fence just south of bandera, or there was a few years ago.
                            Wait what?

Comment

Moose naturally migrate so not being able to migrate to different climates probably isn't healthy for them

Comment

Working...
                              X