6.5 vs 6.8 in an AR platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 vs 6.8 in an AR platform

I am wanting to build a new AR that hits alittle harder than a 223. I read a few articles and it seems the 6.5 is the superior round past 300 yards by a wide margin and doesn't give up much of any under 300 yards.

Am I missing anything? I have shot the 6.8 but have never fired a 6.5 grendal.

This is going to have a 20 in barrel and I plan on shooting deer, hogs and targets out to 600 yards, maybe further for targets.

Thanks,

Brandon

I built a 6.8 because I don't reload and ammo is cheaper and easier to find. If you reload I think the 6.5 might be the better round.

Comment

No advice but following for info. I am thinking along the same lines for a future build

Comment

Ammo is way more available and cheaper for the 6.8, which is a pretty big advantage for a non reloader like me... Plus, the lease I will use my 6.8 at doesn't offer many shots past 150-200.

If you reload and need to take those 300+ yard shots, I would seriously consider the 6.5 Grendel

Comment

I love my 6.8, but want to build a 6.5 Grendel! I'd so both

Comment

Why neither are an option when compared to the .458 socom!

I personally would go with the 6.5 grendel... but that is just me.

Comment

Love my 6.8!

Comment

Originally posted by 10mmWendell View Post
                Ammo is way more available and cheaper for the 6.8, which is a pretty big advantage for a non reloader like me... Plus, the lease I will use my 6.8 at doesn't offer many shots past 150-200.

If you reload and need to take those 300+ yard shots, I would seriously consider the 6.5 Grendel
                X2

Comment

I Love my 6.8 spc

Comment

My Grendel drives tacks and I built it light. Look a Lilja and Maxim BCGs that what I have.

Comment

best round in the AR w/12.5"-16" barrel is the 6.8
                      you like longer barrels, go for the 6.5

lots of elk kills w/the 6.8 @ 400 yards.

6.8 was designed to shoot people,
                      6.5 was designed to shoot paper...

Comment

The grendel will be the better all around cartridge, in terms of ballistics.
                        I built a 6.8 with a 16" barrel and a 6.5 grendel with a 22" JP Supermatch barrel. I found no need for the 6.8, so I gave it to my dad.
                        Go with the 6.5. If you don't reload, just buy the hornady 123sst ammo. It has a .510 bc and it's available at many Academy's.

Comment

I have a Grendel and now they have developed the Grendel II which has a deeper throat to allow loading of more hunting bullets. X2 on the .123 SST my Satern barrel loves them.
                          Here is some info...

Comment

I love my grendel and I would think you would want a grendel for shooting out to 600 yds. I've never shot a 6.8 so I really have no input on it

Comment

I have both. I've been very happy with my Grendel. I've killed a TON of critters with it. I typically load 100 grain Barnes TTSX and it runs 2800 fps with an 18" barrel.

My 6.8 has a 12.5" barrel and it runs 95 grain TTSX rounds at 2630fps. I'm sure I can squeeze more out of it by hand loading.

I believe they are going to be comparable in terminal performance out to about 300 yards and the higher BC of the 6.5 will show beyond that IMO.

I haven't killed anything with the 6.8 yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X