When to replace stock truck battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck is a 2013 f150 manufactured in late 2012 still running on the original battery. Should I replace it now just in case, or is it likely to keep going another year or two?

Typically last 7-8 years with the factory battery

Comment

In my experience, about 4 years is about all I ever get out of one. I would replace it before we start getting cold snaps if it were me. The battery on my 2013 Titan lasted almost exactly 4 years...

Comment

If you drive basically every day, a battery will typically let you know right before it needs to be replaced by being sluggish to start the vehicle. If your worried about it, you might as well replace it as it probably doesn't have a lot of life left being 7 years old. The battery in my truck is also 7 years old but I wont replace it until I notice it not holding a charge like it should. If I was to go on a trip somewhere, I would replace it before the trip because I don't want to hassle it while on vacation, especially a hunting trip when I might not be around anyone else to give me a jump start.

Comment

Replace now, better than being stuck out in the woods

Comment

My 2013 f150 battery had to be replaced a month ago. The shop that did my oil change tested it and it showed failed. It had corrosion issues so I was ready to swap it out. It ate the positive end to the cable last year. I replaced and put anti corrosion gunk and it still was happening. They had a hard time getting the cables off so I was glad they were doing it for free. It took a good 40min for them to pull the old one out. If it had gone bad in my driveway not sure I could of freed it myself.
            The heat is harder on batteries than the cold..4years is about all I trust a battery so I'd get it tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Husker; 09-17-2017, 07:50 AM.

Comment

I would replace it, my son has the same year model and no warning, just quit. Had a heck of a time getting it out due to corrosion at the terminals.

Comment

Yeah, like others have said, about the most I ever get out of a battery is 4 years.

Comment

On a gasoline engine 4-5 years? To be on the safe side
                  Diesel I would change 3-4 ! Not worth the risk of getting stranded

Comment

Mine lasted 3.5 years

Comment

I replace batteries when they die.

Comment

My last work car was a 2013 Explorer. The battery died woth no warning. Lasted ~ 3 years

Comment

They make sophisticated battery testers today that can tell you how much is left in your battery. Most good shops have one.

Comment

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
                            I replace batteries when they die.

X2

Comment

Have to jump more than once I replace.

Comment

Working...
                              X