Staying in the Great Smoky Mountains - Bryson City, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying in the Great Smoky Mountains - Bryson City, NC

So I just booked a house in Bryson City, NC for a week this summer. Neither my wife or I have ever been there and we don't know anyone that's been there either. We usually go to Pagosa Springs, CO in the summer but wanted to change it up a bit. I'm a little excited about going someplace we've never been to but leery of what we'll experience.

Has anyone ever stayed in the area? Looking for any tips, must see/do, things to avoid, etc.

Thanks!

You will love it. Go to the Hatfield and McCoy Dinner Show in Pigeon Forge as well as the Titanic Museum. If you got time go Whitewater rafting on the Upper Pigeon River. https://www.smokymountainrafting.com...river-rafting/

Comment

Pics and a lot of them when you go please. Enjoy the trip and please share with your fellow TBHers!!

Comment

Hike to laurel falls http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/laurel.htm
        Book a zip line tour https://www.foxfiremountain.com/
        Last edited by Masmak; 04-24-2018, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Go to the Biltmore, I had no desire to go but my wife made me and it was really cool. If you take a private tour you can go on top, place is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            You will love it. Go to the Hatfield and McCoy Dinner Show in Pigeon Forge as well as the Titanic Museum. If you got time go Whitewater rafting on the Upper Pigeon River. https://www.smokymountainrafting.com...river-rafting/
            On the list!

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Pics and a lot of them when you go please. Enjoy the trip and please share with your fellow TBHers!!
            Will do. We'll be there from July 7th - 14th.

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
            Done and done.

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
            Go to the Biltmore, I had no desire to go but my wife made me and it was really cool. If you take a private tour you can go on top, place is amazing.
            Similar situation with us and definitely on the list. Wife has always wanted to visit.

Comment

Something to keep in mind is the majority of the roads are real narrow and windy and usually lots of traffic especially around Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Keep travel time in mind when planning your excursions and plan to do multiple excursions in the same general area on any given day.

Comment

Hike part of the Appalachian Trail...

Seven 'Walk in the Woods' sections of the Appalachian Trail in the Great Smokies, including day hikes near Bryson City, NC.

Comment

Great area to go visit, tons to do between Bryson City and Asheville. Should spurge one evening and stay at the Grove Park Inn (Asheville). Wonderful spa for the wife.

Comment

Check out Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC). the Appalachian Trail runs directly through the NOC you could go hiking On AT or rent kayaks at NOC. It’s a cool place to visit. Just be advised if you hike the climb out of the NOC heading north is epic.

Comment

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Comment

My 3 younger brothers and Dad did a trip to the Great Smoky Mountains 2 summers ago. We camped right near the NOC and I believe rented our gear from them. Possibly more action than you are looking for, but we kayaked the Chatooga, Ocoee, and Nantahala. Lots of good white water action- the Nantahala is like a big creek while parts of the Ocoee are steep down hill rapids.

Comment

Wife and I stayed in Bryson City 2 years ago.

There was a wood fired pizza place that was pretty decent. It was across from a Zaxbys Chicken.

We enjoyed cruising along the small, steep and winding roads quite a bit. It is pretty in its own way, but nothing like Colorado or the Rocky Mountain West.

I enjoyed seeing all of the small churches at the base of every single mountain, even way back off the beaten path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

just got back from Pigeon Forge Tn. last Wednesday and had a blast. If you have kids I don't think you can run out of go kart tracks and miniature golf courses. Went to the Smoky's and saw bears but was unable to see the part we wanted to see because it was closed that day.

Comment

There is a restaurant near there you need to try. Café Rel. It is the diner on a Marathon gas station, but the chef is a 5 star European import. He just wanted to do it his way. Food is wonderful, décor not so much. Located in Franklin. The Dillard house is good as well. The scenery everywhere is wonderful. Cherokee is a tourist trap, and is kind of sad really. I live about 2 hours east of there, and have done so for 67 years. If you need any more info, feel free to PM

Comment

Working...
                              X