72 Chevy Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

72 Chevy Rebuild

Has anyone replaced a motor in a 72 Chevy? I’m trying to get a ballpark idea of what it would cost. The current motor was rebuilt back in the 80s and the last time I drove it was 2005 after it started fouling plugs out after replacing them. Open to suggestion but was just looking at putting a new 350 back in it to get it running again and then slowing update the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean looking ride. What are your long range plans? Keeping it original or updating to LS engine later down the road?

Comment

Discover the Chevy Performance SP350/357 Turn-Key crate engine. Learn about dyno specs, installation, etc. & why it's perfect for your next project car.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
        Clean looking ride. What are your long range plans? Keeping it original or updating to LS engine later down the road?

Mostly original, main thing I’m looking to do with it is have a weekend or around town truck. It was quick enough and sounded great! Has 350 4bolt main, small RV cam, headers dueled out to flowmaster that turned down just past the axle.

Comment

Cool truck. Pops had a mustard yella one when I was a kid.

Comment

Comment

How many miles since the last “ rebuild?”

Comment

If the bottom ends sound buy some aftermarket aluminum heads to address the “ it probably needs a valve job” issue and your back in the saddle

Comment

Oh wow! That was my first truck! Same green long wheel base. Mine was solid and not two tone. I had a 4 barrel Holley 650 on it and thrush headers and it ran like a bat out of hell. Great truck! Had the bench seat and my high school girl friends would sit right next to me in the truck. Good Ole Days! Good luck fixing it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
                    Oh wow! That was my first truck! Same green long wheel base. Mine was solid and not two tone. I had a 4 barrel Holley 650 on it and thrush headers and it ran like a bat out of hell. Great truck! Had the bench seat and my high school girl friends would sit right next to me in the truck. Good Ole Days! Good luck fixing it up!

Thanks! I miss driving this truck! It was a great high school truck!

Comment

Lots of options for you. If its not needed to be driven every day I would pull that engine and rebuild it. If its low miles the bottom end may not even need it. A valve job on the heads and you're good to go. I'd consider a new set of aluminum heads even. If its the original motor I would keep it with the truck. I went 454 with the 69 restoration I am doing.

Comment

I had a 68, and we used chevys for work trucks. about 100k we would replace the engine. We rebuilt several, but valve jobs wouldn't hold up. Knurling the valve guides is a short time repair.
                        Found an outfit in town back then that sold factory crate motors. Said he bought them through smaller dealerships to help them keep their parts volume up. Last one I bought was in 1993, cost about $1350 for a new motor. A goodwrench rebuild was $100 less. Same warranty.
                        I cant find them, must be out of business. He did some performance upgrades also. Also had engines for boats, jet boats went thru engines fast.

The older chevy's are easy to take an engine out and put back in.

Comment

Working...
                        X