Dixie Choppers ... are they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dixie Choppers ... are they worth it?

Lots of stuff is happening REAL fast, in our house ... well, it'll be someone else's house in two weeks!

We bought 2 acres in Fulshear, and put our house on the market.
    Our house sold in 7 days.

We're in the process of getting everything lined out, to get living on the new property, and we need a mower.

I first started looking at the Cub Cadets. When Tina got involved, scope creep took us to look at more of a commercial type mower.

I think we've decided on a Dixie Chopper. The model is the Magnum HP 2460 ... 24 horse power, 60" cut.

I'm weary of a mower that wide due to the possibility of an uneven cut. The salesman/owner of the shop assures me that if it's relatively flat, it will cut great.

Does anyone have a Dixie Chopper?
    Are you happy with it?

I'm open to other ideas if you've got a zero turn that you love.

I work on hustler and badboy the wide decks will give a good cut. On bumps and dips it may leave a little bit but other wise get the biggest you can afford and keep gates and trees in mind.

Comment

I have a Scag with 61" cut and it does good but our yard is pretty flat/even. I use it around camp at our property, I do not notice any scalping but I do not have an established yard type grass there either. One thing I do know is, if you do not have an establish turf and there is exposd ground/dirt....expect to get covered in dust.
      The Dixies are suppose to be top of the line, I would buy one. I have just came across good deals on the Scags for some reason.

Comment

I've always heard good stuff about the Scags, I just figured they'd be out of my price range.
        I don't know if it's a good price or not, but the one I mentioned is $5,900, he said it's regularly $6,500.

Comment

Look at gravely and hustler also

Comment

I have a 60" Kabota zero turn with the hydraulic deck and it doesn't scalp... My little 3 acres is not that even either from all the trees I took out before the build. Runs great and haven't had a lick of problems...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

More in line with your question... A couple of my neighbors down the street have the Dixie Choppers and their property always looks nice and groomed as well with no scalping..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If it has a Kawasaki or Kohler you should be fine. Briggs and Stratton would not last as long as the rest of the unit.

Comment

We are a long way apart. A friend and I bought the same mowers 5-6 years ago. He is moving to Hobbs n.m. where there is no grass. I am selling his Bobcat brand, 48 inch cut, steel deck, 19hp kawasaki engine for him. Neither his or mine have given us any major problems. I have 2 acres with lots of trees and bushes. It takes me 45 minutes to mow. Like someone else said . Keep all your gate widths in mind on your deck size. He is asking $2000 for it. We payed $4500 for them.

Comment

Hustler Kevin, get a Hustler.

Comment

My dad has one and loves it. I borrowed it when mine was in the shop and I loved it also.

Comment

I dont think 6k to mow 2 ac is worth it. If it was going to make you money then sure.
                        I had 2 ac and mowed it with a craftsman for 13 years. I

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          I dont think 6k to mow 2 ac is worth it. If it was going to make you money then sure.
                          I had 2 ac and mowed it with a craftsman for 13 years. I

If I had to move two acres weekly I would spend $10k on the mower if it shaved time and made it easier. I hate moving grass lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                            If I had to move two acres weekly I would spend $10k on the mower if it shaved time and made it easier. I hate moving grass lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            This...not to mention more time to spend with family and do other things than mow.

Comment

We've mowed with a Grass Hopper for 10+ years. Never heard anything bad about Dixie though! The only bad part about a zero turn is the inability to drink a cold beer while mowing lol... Thanks for reminding me I need to mow!

Comment

Working...
                              X