Wyoming Nonresident Elk Draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyoming Nonresident Elk Draw

Wyoming is about to take public comments on moving the nonresident elk draw from February to June. I'll add the link when it's available.

Just FYI if you want to make a comment.

I'm wondering if the idea to push it back is that they want more time to decide on if they are going away from the Gen tag and going to a full unit draw similar to Colorado. They would have to make that decision and have a system in place before the draw opens.

Comment

Wow thanks for the heads up. I already have a hunt booked with an outfitter for next year in a general tag area. The outfitter said I would draw with one preference point which I bought this year. Are they talking about next year, or sometime down the road?

It would suck enough not being able to know for sure if I got the tag until the summer. I was pumped for next spring to be able to prepare once I got the tag...

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
        Wow thanks for the heads up. I already have a hunt booked with an outfitter for next year in a general tag area. The outfitter said I would draw with one preference point which I bought this year. Are they talking about next year, or sometime down the road?

It would suck enough not being able to know for sure if I got the tag until the summer. I was pumped for next spring to be able to prepare once I got the tag...
        I sure hope you are right. I know several people that did not draw this year with 1 pt. I drew a tag with 3 pts, but based on what I've heard it was much harder to draw a tag with less than 2 pts.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          I sure hope you are right. I know several people that did not draw this year with 1 pt. I drew a tag with 3 pts, but based on what I've heard it was much harder to draw a tag with less than 2 pts.
          I am for sure going to put in for the special permit, I believe that makes a difference correct? I am sure that it would take more years for the regular tag. At least this is what my outfitter told me. I know nothing is a for sure deal when playing the draw game though. I guess I will find out next year. I have been planning this hunt for over a year now, I honestly haven't considered that I may not be going on it after all.

Comment

I'm not sure if they will make the change for 2019 or wait until 2020. The main issue is they award the nonresident tags before the elk surveys are done. Sometimes that works for the benefit of nonresidents and other years it doesn't.

Look at the demand index. I believe a general tag can be draw with 1 point for the special fee. The special fee usually helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
              I am for sure going to put in for the special permit, I believe that makes a difference correct? I am sure that it would take more years for the regular tag. At least this is what my outfitter told me. I know nothing is a for sure deal when playing the draw game though. I guess I will find out next year. I have been planning this hunt for over a year now, I honestly haven't considered that I may not be going on it after all.
              I know of 3 people that put in for special permit with 1 point this year and did not draw. Normally the special permit with 1 pt almost guarantees you will draw, however recent years has shown its becoming more of a points game.

Comment

Looks like this year you had a 97% chance to draw the general elk special tag if you had at least 1 preference point. Anything over 1 point was 100%

Quota Issued Points Applicants Success Odds
                ---- ---- ----------------------- ----- ------ ------ ------------ ------------
                1189 0 5 0 100.00%
                1189 0 < 5 0 100.00%
                1189 0 4 0 100.00%
                1189 6 < 4 6 100.00%
                1183 14 3 14 100.00%
                1169 22 < 3 22 100.00%
                1147 75 2 75 100.00%
                1072 231 < 2 231 100.00%
                841 841 1 867 97.00%
                0 < 1 1327 0.00%

Comment

I Hunt by the Bighorn Mts. it takes 3 point to have any real chance of drawing. I wish they would let the landowners give their tags to NR hunters like Colorado.

Comment

With the special tag price increases it will be interesting to see how many folks just dumped points or not this year. I just got back from a general DIY hunt, tough with the smoke and heat, but went 1/3 and if I could shoot my longbow worth a darn it would have been 2/3. Had a grizz come into camp one night, talk about exciting!!! ha ha ha ha

Comment

Working...
                    X