No announcement yet.

2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a question for the folks who have been involved in the draw hunts a lot longer than me.

For example, the E-Postcard Deer Archery Big Bottom Lake WMA hunt has 5 hunt periods to choose from. The system only allows you to select 3 periods (1st, 2nd, 3rd date choice) or you can put "any". If I select 3 of the 5 periods am I only placed in the drawings for those periods and the other 2 I would have no chance at getting drawn? Would I need to just put "any" for the few hunts that have more than 3 options to be potentially selected for any of them. Also does the order of how you select your 1st, 2nd, 3rd date choices have any effect on your chance to be drawn?

Do they draw a total number of permits for the entire hunt area then figure out which hunt period everyone goes based on preference or is each hunt period somewhat of a separate drawing?

Comment

I got lucky this year and got picked for both Laguna and Tieniente Refuge hunts. I have not been drawn in 4 years.
      For those of you out-of-town groups looking for a place to stay, check out https://arroyolodge.com/index.html
      They have nice accommodations and an ice machine 3bed 3bath on the water for $1325 a week plus tax and has 6 beds. Night fishing for trout would be a plus on this hunt. I have no affiliation with them, but thought some people might be looking for places to stay. Arroyo City is about 10-15 miles from Laguna Atascosa and offers some good fishing.
      Good luck, Shoot straight and shoot often.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
        Here's a question for the folks who have been involved in the draw hunts a lot longer than me.

For example, the E-Postcard Deer Archery Big Bottom Lake WMA hunt has 5 hunt periods to choose from. The system only allows you to select 3 periods (1st, 2nd, 3rd date choice) or you can put "any". If I select 3 of the 5 periods am I only placed in the drawings for those periods and the other 2 I would have no chance at getting drawn? Would I need to just put "any" for the few hunts that have more than 3 options to be potentially selected for any of them. Also does the order of how you select your 1st, 2nd, 3rd date choices have any effect on your chance to be drawn?

Do they draw a total number of permits for the entire hunt area then figure out which hunt period everyone goes based on preference or is each hunt period somewhat of a separate drawing?
        The system tries to fill your 3 hunt choices in order before discarding your application. You should pick "any" as your 3rd choice in your example to maximize your chances of getting picked. How you order your choices won't matter that much.

Comment

Are the odds of being drawn better or worse putting in a single applicant or group of 4 applicant?

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
            Are the odds of being drawn better or worse putting in a single applicant or group of 4 applicant?

I would say worse for group of 4 if the place has 14 permits and and drew 3 groups of 4 first then they pull your card with 4 on it they will trash it and go to next they draw with the fitting number of people

Comment

Originally posted by Swamphunterfw View Post
              I would say worse for group of 4 if the place has 14 permits and and drew 3 groups of 4 first then they pull your card with 4 on it they will trash it and go to next they draw with the fitting number of people
              Supposedly they will not exceed a quota so applying as a party can somewhat hurt your odds. Of course you're never going to know where your application ended up after they conducted the draw if you're unsuccessful.

It really boils down to if you want to hunt alone or with a group.

Comment

Not sure how it hurts your odds of being drawn but if you get drawn your options on hunt compartments aren't as limited when you get to the hunt. Bigger hunting group gets bigger compartment

Comment

Some WMA's let you pick hunt compartments based on draw order and group size doesn't factor into it.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    Not sure how it hurts your odds of being drawn but if you get drawn your options on hunt compartments aren't as limited when you get to the hunt. Bigger hunting group gets bigger compartment
                    Thats not true all areas are different. For Matador your scenario is true, the groups will get the bigger and as is the case there better compartments, if your a single you kinda of get the shaft but they let you know this before they let anyone pick and let smaller groups or single hunters buddy up. For Gus engeling you list three compartments you want and then they call you in the order you were picked in the draw, you ones drawn first get to pick their compartments first the ones last get the leftovers.

Comment

I hunted Matador in 2013 on the Archery Mule Deer hunt and had Lone Canyon all to myself. I had the first permit so I got to draw first. I had an opportunity to scout the afternoon before the hunt and the morning of the hunt (before 11:00) and saw a shooter but didn't see him again after the hunt began.

Comment

Worth a listen guys.
                        This is PHS' Coordinator and explains the draw process.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZdSek37ipIk
                        Last edited by oxZeke; 08-24-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                          Thats not true all areas are different. For Matador your scenario is true, the groups will get the bigger and as is the case there better compartments, if your a single you kinda of get the shaft but they let you know this before they let anyone pick and let smaller groups or single hunters buddy up. For Gus engeling you list three compartments you want and then they call you in the order you were picked in the draw, you ones drawn first get to pick their compartments first the ones last get the leftovers.
                          Chaparral is this way, they have certain pastures/compartments that are established to be 3-4 member and some established for 1&2 hunter compartments. I obviously haven’t hunted all wma but from most I have talked to that have assigned compartments it’s the general rule of thumb. All the managers run it their own way. Devils river everyone put their name in a hat and drew for luck if the draw on what order you pick. If you had a bigger group you could add a neighboring compartment for more ground.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I put in for myself and three other guys. Two only rifle hunt. Myself and another guy bow and muzzleloader hunt. I always buy the APH so this year I am the only one E-Post drawing. Best of luck to all!

Comment

My wife and I drew LA archery 12-7 through 12-11 and we will not able to make it. Hopefully a TBH will draw it. Those that are pending second draw good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                                My wife and I drew LA archery 12-7 through 12-11 and we will not able to make it. Hopefully a TBH will draw it. Those that are pending second draw good luck!
                                Dang that stinks but I’d be more than happy to accept it in your place. But I doubt I get that lucky.....

Comment

Working...
                                X