No announcement yet.

Anyone eat jackrabbits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there are a lot of people who say a certain animal isn't good...but I've grilled, pressure cooked. and bbqd jacks, and they eat just the same as chicken but with a kick.

Comment

Well dang. I was hoping more people would say they were good. Sounds like they really are tough. I think I may try some in a stew. Slow cooked or pressure cooked sounds like the way to go. Thanks. I will let ya know how it turns out this weekend.

Comment

Barbequed backstraps on the grill for me.

cricman

Comment

Nope, they are the Jack Crevalle of the brush.

Comment

Here's a pic of some my nephew and I made.

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
              http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=484381

Here's a pic of some my nephew and I made.

Those looked good enough to eat!

Comment

Young ones aren't bad especially smoked over mesquite coals, but older ones are stringy and tough. When I was a kid we killed a ton of rabbits Jacks and cottontails. We had an old willys jeep and we rod around at night with shotguns murdering the heck out of them. The cottontails were far better than the jacks.
                Last edited by dphillips62; 03-09-2018, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Those looked good enough to eat!
                  They are

Comment

We used to make chili out of them, I thought it was pretty good at the time.

Comment

Well AC when you skin the first one and see all that snot slime they have under the skin, all's I can say is you're hungrier than me if you can cook n eat that. But let us know how it turns out!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Well AC when you skin the first one and see all that snot slime they have under the skin, all's I can say is you're hungrier than me if you can cook n eat that. But let us know how it turns out!
                        I think I'm gonna try it......once

Comment

Well, you know the rules... pics or it didn't happen! Video even better... You gonna put 'em on your griddle?

Comment

No I never have because I usually have a freezer full of deer meat, wild hog and fish... Never been that desperate..
                            But I'm not saying I wouldn't if I had to.

Comment

Well, you know the rules... pics or it didn't happen! Video even better... You gonna put 'em on your griddle?

No! It ain't worthy of the griddle!

Comment

Well dang. I was hoping more people would say they were good. Sounds like they really are tough. I think I may try some in a stew. Slow cooked or pressure cooked sounds like the way to go. Thanks. I will let ya know how it turns out this weekend.
                                I think I'm gonna try it......once
                                Do a live thread!

If you shoot a young enough one it won't look as bad when cleaning it. I shot 4 or 5 before one looked good enough to try and clean. It still wasn't edible though.

I really hope you try as I want to see the results. I see them like I see carp. Edible? Sure, but takes too much work to make it worth eating.

Comment

Working...
                                X