No announcement yet.

Air rifle trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who ever closes threads, PLEASE CLOSE THIS ONE!
    Its ovious my topic of the lost was over looked. I was interested in knowing the potential of a gun, not focusing on my livetock, as many seem to have done.

Comment

BTW, looks like trophies from air rifles include everything from 2,000-lb buffalo to bears, hogs, even mountain lions. Not sure about your specific model.

So it would, for sure, bag a cow...

Comment

Originally posted by ajm2nac View Post
        So, i have a new gamo air rifle, and my plans are using it to discourage cows at my feeders. Upon this plan, i found myself wondering what all could be taken with it. Oviously not a cow, but what could i expect to kill with it, and what size/type pellets?
        Who ever closes threads, PLEASE CLOSE THIS ONE!
        Its ovious my topic of the lost was over looked. I was interested in knowing the potential of a gun, not focusing on my livetock, as many seem to have done.
        Well, the way you put it, originally, and the mad face that you put in front of your thread makes it seem like you are intentionally shooting cows because they are eating your corn or trying to "discourage" them from coming to feeders. It does not seem that you are asking a legitimate question about the effectiveness of a GAMO air rifle. Honestly, the first sentence of your "question" made me a little ****** off. I mean, seriously, what adult shoots cows because they are eating at your feeder? A fence, a hay bale, cottonseed, range cubes, and many other ways to keep the cows away from the feeders than shooting them with a dang gun. I know, because the cows still come around my feeders, but I have not once thought about shoothing them with with anything to make them move along. My dad whipped my *** when I was younger for shooting his cows with a bb gun that when you shot it, you could literally see the bb coming out of the barrel, so shooting a cow with a pellet that can travel 900-1200 fps is crazy to me.

Secondly, most air rifles will shoot 900-1200 fps. That is faster than or equal to some pistol cartridges. Would you shoot a cow with a 9mm, .25 acp, or others? It is astonishing to me that someone would even think about shooting a cow with anything, even if they are your cows. That is not justification for aiming and firing a firearm at something that you dont intend to kill. Maybe I was taught gun safety differently than you, but I am not shooting at something and just hope it "discourages" the thing that I am shooting at. Hell, if you want to discourage, throw a rock or do something other than shoot at it.

Some people's way of thinking wears me out and the justification behind that thinking is ludicrous.

Comment

Marbles

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          I don't use the air rifle because of noise--I use a flipper/slingshot with 1/4 or 5/16 nuts from the bulk hardware aisle at Tractor Supply. Killed a few cottontails with them too.
          Try using marbles. You can buy them at the Dollar Store.
          Marbles fly like straight and they're cheap.
          I've killed rabbits and collared doves with them.

Comment

So, i have a new gamo air rifle, and my plans are using it to discourage cows at my feeders. Upon this plan, i found myself wondering what all could be taken with it. Oviously not a cow, but what could i expect to kill with it, and what size/type pellets?
            Guys... THEY ARE MY COWS! No a** woopin comin from no one. No loosing lease coming, its my 500 acres.
            I get the picture, thanks. My point of this thread was not shooting cows, but asking what game had been taking w/a pellet gun. Some how that question was missed
            I see you were asking about shooting "other" game or varmits with your pellet rifle, but for the guys talking about shooting cows, you did say to "discourage cows". I just let the cows come and go, they eventually leave and the deer are used to cows being around, it won't scare them off completely....they usually don't run off very far and come right back.

As for shooting stuff with your pellet rifle....my neighbor has killed deer with his.....shoots'em right behind the ear.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
              Well, the way you put it, originally, and the mad face that you put in front of your thread makes it seem like you are intentionally shooting cows because they are eating your corn or trying to "discourage" them from coming to feeders. It does not seem that you are asking a legitimate question about the effectiveness of a GAMO air rifle. Honestly, the first sentence of your "question" made me a little ****** off. I mean, seriously, what adult shoots cows because they are eating at your feeder? A fence, a hay bale, cottonseed, range cubes, and many other ways to keep the cows away from the feeders than shooting them with a dang gun. I know, because the cows still come around my feeders, but I have not once thought about shoothing them with with anything to make them move along. My dad whipped my *** when I was younger for shooting his cows with a bb gun that when you shot it, you could literally see the bb coming out of the barrel, so shooting a cow with a pellet that can travel 900-1200 fps is crazy to me.

Secondly, most air rifles will shoot 900-1200 fps. That is faster than or equal to some pistol cartridges. Would you shoot a cow with a 9mm, .25 acp, or others? It is astonishing to me that someone would even think about shooting a cow with anything, even if they are your cows. That is not justification for aiming and firing a firearm at something that you dont intend to kill. Maybe I was taught gun safety differently than you, but I am not shooting at something and just hope it "discourages" the thing that I am shooting at. Hell, if you want to discourage, throw a rock or do something other than shoot at it.

Some people's way of thinking wears me out and the justification behind that thinking is ludicrous.
              As far as "ludicrous" goes, and some peoples thinking wearing them out, that is exactly how i feel about the lack of attention to the topic of my post! Instead, the majority seem to only focus on what others before them chose to notice: the words "cow" and discourage. Neither of which were the main topic of the post.

Comment

And the mad face, i didnt do that

Comment

Last year I bought myself a "Whisper Quiet Gamo" pellet gun to take to the stand with me thinking I could plink at critters and not mess up my bow hunting. It is Not whisper quiet, that thing is pretty dang loud. It is fun to shoot however and I've taken rabbits, tree rats, coons and a couple of large mice with it. It's hard to keep the scope tuned because of the nature of the gun though. I've shot small piglets with it and they just squeal a little and run off. Guess I need to ear hole them or something. I wouldn't shoot cows with it though. Just my personal opinion. As for those rubber blunts, I used to pop cows with them until I hung one in a stupid cow's ear one time. Long story short, I had to chase that cow down and pull the arrow out. Just knew I was gonna get kicked off the lease for that stunt. It was a ricochet shot. Did you know that cows can run pretty fast for long periods of time?

My lease mates still like to give me a hard time about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                    Last year I bought myself a "Whisper Quiet Gamo" pellet gun to take to the stand with me thinking I could plink at critters and not mess up my bow hunting. It is Not whisper quiet, that thing is pretty dang loud. It is fun to shoot however and I've taken rabbits, tree rats, coons and a couple of large mice with it. It's hard to keep the scope tuned because of the nature of the gun though. I've shot small piglets with it and they just squeal a little and run off. Guess I need to ear hole them or something. I wouldn't shoot cows with it though. Just my personal opinion. As for those rubber blunts, I used to pop cows with them until I hung one in a stupid cow's ear one time. Long story short, I had to chase that cow down and pull the arrow out. Just knew I was gonna get kicked off the lease for that stunt. It was a ricochet shot. Did you know that cows can run pretty fast for long periods of time?

My lease mates still like to give me a hard time about that one.
                    THANK YOU! For reading my qurstion on this post!
                    As cows running long and fast, imagine being in front of them w/a feed bucket!

Comment

I love my Gamo! I have shot squirrels , rabbits, coons, foxes, nutrias, feral cats, etc. Pretty impressive for such a tiny projectile. The foxes I have shot never knew what hit them, just dropped in their tracks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Guys... THEY ARE MY COWS! No a** woopin comin from no one. No loosing lease coming, its my 500 acres.
                        I get the picture, thanks. My point of this thread was not shooting cows, but asking what game had been taking w/a pellet gun. Some how that question was missed

Glad you cleared that up... Your cows/property do what you want!!! Good luck testing your gun out on new wildlife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                          Have you ever shot one of those at something? CO2 canister will push a pellet quite a bit faster then a normal bb gun and will definitely break skin. Definitely don't go this route. At least not with the first shot from a fresh CO2 canister.
                          I've been shot with one. It aint that bad..

Comment

Last edited by Rubi513; 08-11-2016, 03:47 PM. Reason: Quoted post seems to have disappeared, so I made this one do the same. :)

Comment

Guessing not many have ever gone hunting w/an air rifle. Some have, but more seem to know about shooting cows, kicked off properties, or legalities of the issue.
                              Noones ever killed a bobcat or coyote w/one?

Comment

Working...
                              X