Long range hunting scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long range hunting scope

What would you go with for a long range capable hunting scope?

Leupold LRP
    Leupold VX6
    Nightforce
    Huskemaw

Dial dope or have a custom elevation turrets made?

This would primarily be used for Colorado/Idaho elk, mule deer and bear on a 7mm Remington Magnum. So the gun will be packed a lot and exposed turrets can and do get turned.

This is a pretty open ended question. What do you consider “long range”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How experienced are you with long range shooting? Do you prefer to dial adjustments? Or use holdovers with a reticle? Dialing the dope is the same thing as using a custom elevation turret. The difference is that the custom elevation turret purports to tell how much to turn. The problem with custom turrets is that temperature and atmospheric pressure will affect your holdovers. A custom turret that is accurate on the coast at 100 degrees could be markedly off at freezing at 10,000 feet.

LWD

Comment

Nightforce is pretty much the gold standard

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
          How experienced are you with long range shooting? Do you prefer to dial adjustments? Or use holdovers with a reticle? Dialing the dope is the same thing as using a custom elevation turret. The difference is that the custom elevation turret purports to tell how much to turn. The problem with custom turrets is that temperature and atmospheric pressure will affect your holdovers. A custom turret that is accurate on the coast at 100 degrees could be markedly off at freezing at 10,000 feet.

LWD
          This is true... somewhat. If you use custom turrets, you can get a G7 rangefinder that will correct for temp, pressure, angle, etc, and give you a true shoot-to range in yards. I’ve taken my 7 mag and NXS to 1500 with the G7. But I’ve also shot dialing MOA turrets. You can change the G7 to output a shoot-to range in MOAs and start cranking.

Comment

I have nightforce SHV scopes and I also have Vortex HSLR and I recently purchased a Leupold VX5hd. They all have exposed elevation turrets and capped windage turrets.

I like all the scopes but the cool thing about the Leupold that I like is, that when you have the elevation turret at your zeroed distance the turret locks in place. In order to dial in you elevation you have to push the button. You may like this if you are worried about accidentally turning it.

Comment

single or double focal plane

I have a LRHSI that I love I have a new Athlon Cronus , I own a NF It will go up for sale soon to upgrade . Some very nice scopes out there

Most of guys like us that shot LR do hold overs its much faster and it will take some time to get there but once you get it , it becomes super fast and you can be very accurate as well .

I like the LRHSI as it has a kill circle . I used it to work with my hold overs .

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                This is a pretty open ended question. What do you consider “long range”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I am very comfortable to 600 yards. Given the right situation I would consider further on an elk sized game.

Comment

LWD
                  I prefer to dial dope but a custom turret is lazy and easier! However, elevation differences between locations means multiple different custom turrets.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                    I have nightforce SHV scopes and I also have Vortex HSLR and I recently purchased a Leupold VX5hd. They all have exposed elevation turrets and capped windage turrets.

I like all the scopes but the cool thing about the Leupold that I like is, that when you have the elevation turret at your zeroed distance the turret locks in place. In order to dial in you elevation you have to push the button. You may like this if you are worried about accidentally turning it.
                    I’m right there with you on the Leupold having the locking turret. I have missed an amnimal because my elevation turret has turned. I simply forgot to look at it when it was time to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by cbrown View Post
                      I prefer to dial dope but a custom turret is lazy and easier! However, elevation differences between locations means multiple different custom turrets.
                      Look at Ag 96's post above. From your initial post I was concerned you didn't have much experience or understanding. If you're comfortable shooting at that range and understand the concepts what he suggests could work for you well.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
                        This is true... somewhat. If you use custom turrets, you can get a G7 rangefinder that will correct for temp, pressure, angle, etc, and give you a true shoot-to range in yards. I’ve taken my 7 mag and NXS to 1500 with the G7. But I’ve also shot dialing MOA turrets. You can change the G7 to output a shoot-to range in MOAs and start cranking.
                        Look at Ag 96's post above. From your initial post I was concerned you didn't have much experience or understanding. If you're comfortable shooting at that range and understand the concepts what he suggests could work for you well.

LWD
                        I have zero experience with NF. I have looked at them and there is a miriad of reticle options. What and reticle do y’all like for a big game hunting application? Varmint and tactical reticles are far to busy for me.

Comment

I have zero experience with NF. I have looked at them and there is a miriad of reticle options. What and reticle do y’all like for a big game hunting application? Varmint and tactical reticles are far to busy for me.
                          I have a NF NXS and like it and recommended the MOAR reticle. If I was putting together another long range hunting rifle I would probably give the Leupold vx6HD a try. There are several things I really like about it and the locking turret is a big one. It also has a feature that makes the reticle flash if you are holding the rifle with a cant. Keeps you from having to raise your head to look at a bubble level if you use one. They are also a lot lighter than the NF but I'm sure that means not as rugged. Although I don't have any plans of throwing my rifle off the side of a mountain and then having to depend on the scope to save my life like folks in the military do and what the NXS was built to do.

Comment

I prefer a German No.4 for hunting. But I’ve never shot at a critter beyond 300 yards. With a range finder any short of crosshair will work for you. If you want to use the reticle for ranging or holdovers you’ll need something with MIL or MOA subtensions. Of course that will work for the former too; it’s just more cluttered.

LWD

Comment

The MOAR reticle is tried and true with enough holds to make adjustments but not so many that it gets cluterred. For those who like to hold, the various Christmas tree reticles work well, but I like to dial range and hold for wind. The MOAR works well. Even a simple ranging reticle, like the Zeiss ZMOA, is all you really need. I spent about 250 rounds behind the new Conquest V6 at FTW and it was all I needed out to 1000.

I’m planning on doing a budget 1200 yard plus rifle build to save the legs on my Gunwerks. Gonna get a Bergara HMR in 6.5 and top it with either the Zeiss V6 or the new NF SHV with exposed turrets. Either one should be more than enough for this gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X