No announcement yet.

3.5L or 5.0L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I debated this same thing for 2 years before I bought mine. Came down to which one had the most potential for costly repair. Not that either would need repair, but I went with the 5.0. I sure do like it. When I get the need to move quickly, it handles that request without hesitation. I average about 20/mpg when driving no load. About 13 when pulling 16 ft trailer and 4 wheeler. Mine is RWD XLT Crew Cab.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
      5.0 - You can add a Supercharger, Turbo and or a plain old CHIP TUNE to the COYOTE engine and it responds. The Coyote 5.0 in a truck, is not far off the same Coyote engine in the Mustang. Both have factory tunes and both can be chip tuned to really kick these engines up A LOT. And adding a Super Charger, with a chip tune to supplement, you can push 800 plus HP without breaking a sweat.

Look at the 5.0 Mustang boards - no one there is talking V6 with turbo. They are talking 5.0 with Turbo and or Supercharger.

The 5.0 doesn't have to spool up to engage it's low torque power band. As a stock Coyote, it has less to worry about since I'm not running an engine that scavenges spent exhaust and forces that back into the block as the smaller turbo has to. And there have been turbo issues on those engines once they roll over 120 k. Some exhibit issues the 5.0's never have.

Turbos = more parts to wear out. All engines have revolving moving parts, both compatible with engine internal wear. Add a turbo, you add more wear points and more prone parts to head south on you. And the V6 has to run with higher pressures to match the 5.0 Coyote at lower revs.
      Are the internals of the 5.0 the same in the truck as the mustang though? I thought they were different, and couldn't handle near the power once you add a supercharger?

As far as low end grunt, the 5.0 powerband is the same as the 3.5 ecoboost, and all the HP is all at red-line based on the Dyno's I've seen. Torque hits at about 2,500 rpm though.

Comment

I bought 2013 f150 4x4 super crew new. Got 100k miles on it. Love that 3.5 eco boost. I've hauled the max for f150 and it had no problems. I'd buy it again. Definitely over the 5.0.
        Be warned though...ain't nothing eco about an eco boost....especially if your towing.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Never had the 3.5, but have had two 5.0, driving one now, and I see no need to change.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
              Be warned though...ain't nothing eco about an eco boost....especially if your towing.
              This! But a ton of power towing or not.

Comment

Both are good choices. I’ve had 2 3.5 ecoboost trucks and if I were to go back into a 1/2 ton I’d buy another. They are very impressive, they make their torque at low rpms like a diesel does. The 5.0 is solid and runs well with the new 10 speed. But.. 3.5 all day! There is a reason they are putting them in expeditions, raptors, etc., it’s their best 1/2 ton engine by far. You won’t regret it.

Comment

Never driven the little 3.5, but my 5.0 will haul but when needed. Not sure I would go to the 3.5 at anytime as I am not a huge fane of adding stuff to get more out of the engine. JMHO.

Comment

I've had my 3.5 for a bit over 6 months. Already spent a good amount of time in the shop. New oil covers is supposed to fix the 4x4 light, engine light and oil light (the one that says 0 pressure). Last 2 trips to lease got 15 mpg in economy mode going the speed limit (75). Likely will be looking for new truck this next year.

Comment

Best statement is the old guy, “eco boost is still a v6 until the turbo kicks in, the 5.0 is always a v8.
                      I have driven the 3.5 and it is a monster when the turbo kicks in for sure, blows the 5.0 off the road but I have more confidence in the 5.0.

Comment

My brother has the 3.5. He likes it but says he misses that 5.0 growl. Itll run too. Hes been lucky i guess cuz he hasnt had any problems yet and its a 2012.

Comment

Been through the 3.5eb, 2.7eb and now in a 5.0.

The 3.5 was in my 2014 platinum. Devolped a hard hesitation at times. Headed from dallas on 45 with the family and the truck just lost all power bucking like crazy. Was on the side of the road for 45mins before it cleared up. Was condensation in the intercooler.

2.7 is impressive, but it's slow. Work truck

5.0 is in my current 18 screw. Love it, the power, sound and milage. I would choose this over any. If I could id slap a tvs supercharger on it for fun. But id like to keep the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                            Ford guys, which engine do you prefer, and why? 3.5l turbo or the 5.0 v8?
                            Considering new truck. Cant decide. Have 5.0 now. Might miss the growl of the 5.0. Whats yalls opinion?
                            I had a 2014 3.5 with a tuner and the performance was unreal. Better than some diesel engines I've had.

Comment

I was in the same spot 1.5 years ago and went 5.0

Liking it so far

Comment

I work at a Randle Reed's Prestige Ford. If you ask all the technicians it would be about 10-1. Would want 5.0 as well the Eco boost gets better gas mileage and has more power bit the technicians hate working on the Eco boost they are a PITA. I drive a 5.0

Comment

Working...
                                X