Help with a hog problem and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone found a predator call of a deer feeder going off?

I was out in the hill country on a buddy's ranch and the hogs are deep. Could not shoot a deer on the main ranch but Hogs.

The way the hogs ran to the feeders seems a feeder going off would be a great sound to have when you have several thousand acres of land to play on and not have to hunt just at 7 am and 5am.

It was fun to work on your shooting but the only problem was the fact I shoot a bolt action and you only get one or two shoots. Next trip I had a buddie's AR15 A2 and at 70 I am too old to shoot GI ghost sights.

The other question in hog trapping hog panel is recommended and I have had good luck at my farm with a modified Wexford trap.

I was wondering if any one had looked at installing trap gates on the 3 ft pipe tubing that many of the big ranches use to keep the hogs out of thier corn and protein feeder? Yes I have looked at the TPW info where they recommend at least 4 ft or taller hog panels and no corners in the trap. Big ones may get out but seems you could catch a ton of the little ones even if the big ones got out.

Thanks, Jim

I'm not sure if they still make these or not. someone bought me one when I was a kid when they came out. I never used it but is did sound like a feeder going off.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by joebriles View Post
      I'm not sure if they still make these or not. someone bought me one when I was a kid when they came out. I never used it but is did sound like a feeder going off.
      X2 I've had mine for years

Comment

I think FoxPro used to have one? I have it on my call anyway, so it was either theirs or Johnny Stewart.

Comment

Just put some corn or pea gravel in a metal coffee can and give it some violent shakes for about 10 to 15 seconds. Bet it works!

Comment

Where are you located and what kind of call do you have access to?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Just put some corn or pea gravel in a metal coffee can and give it some violent shakes for about 10 to 15 seconds. Bet it works!
              finally a legit use for pea gravel!!!!

Comment

Take your cell phone and do a video w/sound of the feeder going off---then play that for the hogs.

Comment

I have a foxpro.

I am serious on the questions. If I can go regular to these ranches there are many feeders and way too many hogs.

They use a 3 hog panel trap similar to a wexford and it works but it is a push thru funnel and the hogs are not very trap shy yet but for multiple ranches at 13,000 acres total the need a strong trapping program.

A trap gate of some type in the pipe framed 3 foot hog pens would probably let the big hogs out but even if it held 60-80 of the small pigs it would be worth the effort.

I have been two weekends and killed 18-20 hogs but a lot of hogs for shooting a bolt action 7mm-08. A scoped ar would have been more productive. I never realized how much fun it was to shoot running hogs. Really helps you learn to shoot better.

A loud recording on the fox pro could make it fun all day if the hogs come running like they do at 7 and 5 when the feeders go off.

Comment

Any more suggestions?

Anyone ever set up hog trap gates in a rancher styl
                    e deer feeder pen?

Comment

I think I have a feeder repeater from when I was about 12 in my hunting bag never used it. I’ll send it to ya! If your interested let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like to me you need to sale some helicopter hunting trips on that place if you are trying to thin them out.

Comment

If he can afford to buy land all the time then he does not need it. I am lucky to get to go down a few times and play. I hunted ST in the 80's and not interested in low fence hill country bucks and some are pretty tame animals on the high fenced areas.

I am getting a good camera with a tele lens. It is more fun to take pictures of the assorted animals.Course there are a couple tanks you can cpr good bass if you get tired.

I noticed that Palmetto had some good sales for the do it yourself type.

About the only thing I want to shoot are the hogs and coyotes. These hogs have been shot at in some areas but when the feeder goes off it is like a stampede. I look to have the sound on the Fox pro with the shot kick over to the crying baby pig to try to get some when the feeders are not due to go off.

Still looking at building a panel to go into the feeder loading gaps with a spring loaded door. Little more trouble to weld but it could be the gift that keeps giving vs other types of gaps.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by JimD; 12-15-2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Might be easier to just get one of the remotes for the feeder so you can stalk in and set it off. I think if you just set off the feeder repeater in some arbitrary location they might just run to where the feeder is anyway.

Comment

The problem is we are talking over 10000 acres on a couple of ranches.
                              The above pictures are what I use at my farm. Studies show big hogs and trap shy do not like the typical wexford trap with the 14" opening.

I leave this staked open and use the 2x2 with a cord tied to it and to the far side of the pen. I use power pro to tie a line in the loop know I put in the above line and tie it to a small tire which lays in the trap area all the time. Deer eat and the hogs will root the tire and close the gap. Opening is 3ft between t post with the you need to use a tpost across th brace and tie them for support. You Extend 3.5 to 4' of hog panel out into the trap. Move back another 3 feet and place your tpost where they will put tension on the free ends of the extension . From there set another one 3 ft to make the heart an keep bending out and adding pannels that you over lap a foot to add another panel. You can put a removal gate at the back. I tend to feed my buzzards well.
                              I have this cr-- going around so if you have questions post up but the picture is pretty simple.

to keep cows and other big animals out you just slide a tpost across the bottom high enough to let the hogs go in and not cows. Do not tie it just slide it thru the hog pannel so you can remove it when you need to get inside.

things to check is to let the trap ends pop to to make sure there is not grass or rocks to keep the trap from closing all the way. The other isnot to get in a hurry and set the hinge the wrong way so the trap will not close when the tire is moved. ask me I know at night and in a hurry it is easy to do. I had cow pannels and lost some small hogs that can get thru the holes on 5x8.

If you notice I have the hinges going the wrong way in the pxs
                              Last edited by JimD; 12-15-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X