Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

over 300k on engine.
    3rd transmission
    it has piston slap (can and is often mistaken for lifter tap) on start up.

maintenance is the key to longevity on any engine

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
      What others have said. Had an 05 and transfer case went out.I traded it in with 208K on it no motor issues. Almost all my issues were 4x4 related. Known issue the encoder i believe and something else where it would lock itself in 4wd. Best truck ive ever owned really drove for 9yrs pretty hard and motor was still plenty strong.
      My 05 just had the module go out that kept locking it in 4wd...replaced the rear AC blower at the same time. My rear main is leaking a bit and am at 150k.

The engine is a beast and haven't had any major problems.

Comment

Just replaced the alternator on my 2005 at 160k.
        It still gets over 20mpg on the crap corn gas we get. Uses about 1 qt of oil every 3K or so depending on how much I pull my boat. Has always had Mobil 1 oil in it. Those Gen III engines will last a long time and may need valve seals replaced at around 200K. Change oil often and drive the snot out it.

Comment

keep a watchful eye on your T-case. The pump inside the housing has a big tooth that slides into a keyway on the housing. over time if you use the 4x4 a lot the tooth slowly eats a hole in the case and because of the lovely place it is in there will be fluid loss...all of it will drain out and t-case will be trashed the next time you use it...happened to me. dealt with this a lot when I was R&Ring trans and t-cases back in that day.

Comment

My 04 has 220k on it.

Only thing I've done is put a water pump on it at about 150k. Had the from suspension rebuilt at 120k.

Other than that routine maintenance. I do currently have a stepper motor out on my oil pressure gauge.

I didn't do anything to my transmission until 175k miles and that was just a fluid and filter change. I would not flush the transmission if you haven't done it regularly.

Oh I just had to replace my alternator. In all fairness I do have it pretty loaded down with aftermarket lights so I upgraded to a 200 amp alternator since I was replacing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
              Looks like Glenn (drop em)is gonna be getting some phone calls from me.

Glenn checked my ATF and it was good, but will probably replace fluid anyways. I need to have the transfer case and rear end serviced
              It also makes a difference on the quality of oils you use. I use exclusively Hydrotex oils. Have and only change my engine oil @ 15,000 miles since I started driving. Transmission and rear end I go 80,000, probably still good then but I just do it anyways. Only thing I've replaced on my truck is a water pump, brakes, and front hubs. Which reminds me flush your coolant system, and also you should flush your engine periodically to keep wax and varnish build up out. When I change my oil @15,000 it's not black, just a darker shade of the amber it was originally.

Comment

I have a 2011 with 36,000 on it and so far no problems. I had a 97 with the 5.7 before this one that treated me pretty good hopefully this one does the same.

Comment

My 2004 Tahoe is at 238K. Had the instrument cluster replaced at 50K under warranty. Then a water pump in 2008 at around 90K. Other than that, routine maintenance. Will need some front end work soon, ball joints and then front end alignment. Been a solid vehicle. My wife used it as a kid hauler and both daughters learned to drive in it. Oh yeah, blend air door actuator motor, a known issue. When driving with AC on the driver's side starts blowing hot . $95 part and pretty easy to change out.

Comment

I had a 2002 5.3 z71 i bought new. I rode it hard and put it up wet for over 275,000 miles and then sold it. I put a absolute beating on that thing and dogged it constantly. Those are very solid engines.

Comment

2012 4x4, fuel pump out and 32,000 and 35,000. Trans took a dump at 96,500 but all issues were covered under warranty so should be good for a while.

Comment

My wifes tahoe has around 150k and all we have had to replace was the fuel pump. Sure has been a great motor and the best part is that its been paid off for a few years!!

Comment

Working...
                        X