Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanical broad heads and powerful bows...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
    I have a video of shooting a doe the year before we switched to Rages.. I was using a G5 Montec and had the same thing happen from what it sounds like... Zero blood and a lost deer, and we spent plenty time looking... I can't blame you for switching from that cause everyone on our lease switched after watching that video!

It boils down to personal experience and personal confidence.
    oh dont get me wrong i believe just as much as the other guy on shot placement. They preformed great on my bear and I had no issues.

i just chose to try a different BH and see what i could come up with

Comment

The hypos are great. I shot a couple animals with them last year all pass through and tons of blood. If I shoot mechanical it's that or 1 3/8 reaper. I pull 65lb and only 3 animals I haven't got pass through with mechanical but still got an exit. They were eland, sable, and zebra so you're fine with a whitetail.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
        Mechanicals will work with that setup. But, you would be better off sticking with your namesake heads. I used to love mechanicals because I could just screw it in and go hunt (for the most part). Then I started tuning for my BH's, and I can honestly say that I would rather spend the time tuning and shoot a fixed than bypass the tuning and shoot a mechanical.
        Many people including myself tune for fixed blade broadheads but still shoot mechanicals. Even mechs will underperform if shot out of an out of tune bow. That's my opinion anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by howzitbra View Post
          Many people including myself tune for fixed blade broadheads but still shoot mechanicals. Even mechs will underperform if shot out of an out of tune bow. That's my opinion anyway.
          That's cool. I only ever used them as a crutch. If you like them and want to shoot them, it's all good. In the end, we are all chasing someone with a sharp stick

Comment

I've never had Rages fail but I also keep fixed heads in the quiver. A I a hypocrite? Lol....

Comment

Originally posted by jason.dickens View Post
              You just have to line em up right and you can usually punch 2-3 tags per shot lol
              ^^^haha

Comment

Originally posted by Kaycee11 View Post
                That's impressive! I couldn't imagine shooting 86 yards, but I know on an antelope you kind of have to make long shots
                I had a real interesting miss at 84 (fantastic story) and shot under one at 40. Still don't know what happened with that one

You take long shots though in most cases

Comment

My Mathews custom Safari shoots Mechanicals at 104 Pounds with no problem opening and only non pass thru was when a qtr toward me shot went thru the shoulder and lodged in the pelvic bone. But they always open.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bill View Post
                    My Mathews custom Safari shoots Mechanicals at 104 Pounds with no problem opening and only non pass thru was when a qtr toward me shot went thru the shoulder and lodged in the pelvic bone. But they always open.
                    You could just not use a broadhead at all with 104#!!!!!! Just throw a rubber blunt on there and you'll get a pass through on anything in North America!

Comment

Yea it started off as a trip to Africa set up, but never got to go so I used it on Audad and Deer and it did break some bones. Hat to put tubes in the arrows for weight and spine but anything in 70 yards was smoked.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktrick87 View Post
                        I also have a stand that I can possibly have a shot at 50yds. These bows are a little noisy so I figure the faster the better so whatever I fling an arrow at has less time to try and jump the string.
                        Your bow is loud cause your shooting a 400 gn arrow at 75 lbs. haha

There is no bow ever built to date. That an alert deer will not out jumb a string at 20 yards. Maybe at 10 yards but not at 20.

Comment

I agree with Enewman on the speed. You won't compensate for the deer dropping with more speed. You might hit a little better, but I had a doe completely dodge my arrow at 30 yards with a 318fps setup. This may not be record book fast, but it's pretty quick.

Comment

Iunno man, 400 grains? That's like a kid's arrow

I shot a nilgai bull with a grim reaper white tail special sitting on top of a 500 grain arrow going 285 ft/s (elite pure, 72lb, 31.5" draw) and he died within 30 seconds (mind you that sucker still ran 90 yards).

Comment

Originally posted by slicktrick87 View Post
                              I also have a stand that I can possibly have a shot at 50yds. These bows are a little noisy so I figure the faster the better so whatever I fling an arrow at has less time to try and jump the string.

Yeaaaaah no, it don't work that way. Under 20 yards it helps but that's it.

Comment

Never thought I would see "powerful bow" and Mathews in the same thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X