What to feed my 7 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to feed my 7 year old

My 7 year old boy has developed a habit of eating an ego waffle every morning for breakfast. His grandfather helped start this habit early and it stuck. Occasionally he eats cereal but it's pretty much a waffle everyday. My son isn't fat or lazy, he just loves the sweets as most kids do. I'm trying to get him more protein in the morning so he has sustained energy at school.

Question: What are you feeding your kids for breakfast and how do you make it healthy and tasty at the same time.

(I know this probably isn't the correct area for this post but you guys always post up some awesome food on here so that's why I asked you for help.)

I don't have kids, so no expert. Don't fight it directly. Roll with it. Scramble a couple of eggs, sausage, maybe some bell peppers in a pan. Roll it up in an waffle and top with a little picante sauce.

Have it for breakfast yourself a couple of days next week, then ask him if he wants one. Don't know of many sons that won't emulate their dad. The eggo is not so bad, but the syrup is the killer. Maybe breakfest tacos he can eat with his hands won't be so likely to be hit with the sticky stuff.

Comment

There is another waffle that I switched my daughter (4) to. It HEB central market brand blueberry buckwheat. It is the lowest sugar content I could find and is still sweet enough to eat without sugar! 2g for one waffle.
      Try that?

Comment

I give my boy a big glass of real life brand chocolate milk with whatever he is eating for breakfast. It has twice the protein of regular milk and only 12 grams of sugar.

Comment

put all natural peanut butter on the waffle. wash it down with 2% milk

problem solved

Comment

put bacon with it

Comment

All great ideas guys, thanks! I'm going to have a waffle with egg and bacon on it tomorrow and see if he follows suit.

Comment

With kids, just like with adults, the healthy eating war is won at the grocery store, NOT in the kitchen. If there is junk food (waffles and syrup) in the house, it will get eaten. If there are only healthy foods in the house, those will get eaten. Changing eating habits can cause much weeping and gnashing of teeth for a few days, but kids will eat whatever you give them when they get hungry enough. If they decide they'd rather not eat the healthy stuff you serve, it won't kill them to miss a meal or two. They will eat whatever you provide when they get hungry enough. At least that's the way it worked with my kids (and with me when I was a kid).

Comment

I'd look into granola bars as a breakfast snack for some extra protein and fiber as well. And milk of course.

Comment

Scramble up an egg on the side.

Comment

Protein? Chicken, bacon, and waffles. It's delicious, and most will most likely turn your son into a fatty.

Comment

Make tacos and freeze them then reheat in the microwave. Here's what I do.

Get a 20 pack or so of fajita size flour tortillas, 2 dozen eggs, shredded cheese and whatever meat you want (I prefer bacon, but sausage, venison... pretty much any meat will work). Here's what I do:

Line a pan with foil and place your bacon on it then bake it in the oven. I'm a 2 piece per taco kind of person so cook however much you'll need.

While that is cooking, scramble your eggs on the stove. I usually do one egg per taco on average, so if you have 20 tortillas, do 20. Scramble them like you would any other time you make them. Feel free to add diced peppers or whatever.

When the bacon and eggs are done, set them aside for a while to cool. 30 minutes or so should do the trick. This is important for keeping the tortillas from getting soggy from the hot meat and eggs.

Now, lay out a piece of saran wrap slightly bigger than a tortilla and lay a tortilla on top. Spoon in a scoop of eggs then however much bacon you want on top. Sprinkle a little cheese then wrap the tortilla up tight. Wrap the taco up in the saran wrap and put it in a large 1 gallon freezer ziplock. Continue until you're out of everything.

To reheat just remove the saran wrap, wrap the taco in a wet paper towel and heat for a minute or so. These last a long time in the freezer too.

Nutrition Estimates (2 pieces of bacon): Roughly 350 Cals and 20g of protein. I've got tons of other breakfast things I make.

Comment

I'm not sure what my oldest is eating for breakfast, he and his wife live in Finland so I'm sure he's eating something Finnish. As far as the 14 yr old at home..... she'll eat whatever there is. She has always been a healthy eater and hates chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
                            Scramble up an egg on the side.

Comment

Keep it simple stupid. (KISS)
                              Buy what is balanced and make it available. The will go with the flow.....

Comment

Working...
                              X