Best draw weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best draw weight?

Hey guys ao im fairly new to bow hunting and God willing this will be my first season hunting with a bow im excited! My question is what is a good draw weight to effectively harvest a deer or hog? I see people say 60/70lbs but can we shoot less? Just curious as to weigh it has to be at that range or is it just preference..

35 lbs have killed deer and hogs and exotics. Shoot what your shoulder can handle. I shoot 60 because it's easier on my shoulder. And have no problem killing animals.Good luck to you this season

Comment

I hunt with a very fast 70#, a good friend with a 40#. His deer are just as dead as mine, but he selects his broadheads very carefully. I truly believe is just like a rifle, shot placement and not speed.

Comment

When I shot a compound I shot a 60 lb bow with big expandable broadheads, and blew through just about everything I shot. Shoot what your comfortable with. Heavier isn't always better. If you get around mid 50's or lower though you may want to shoot fixed blade heads and stay away from expandables.

Comment

Anything 55+ is more than adequate for Texas game. I shoot 60.

Comment

I was thinking of practicing from here on out at about 50lbs which im comfortable at dont plan on harvesting a buck this year with bow yet i want to build myself up for that but a hog or doe i would be excited about letting an arrow fly want to start off small this year and work my way up to a trophy in the future

Comment

I took my doe couple years ago with 54lbs and my arrow went right through using an old Martin Jaguar. This year 64lbs on a Matthews Heli-M

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

The state used to have a minimum draw weight, but I think that has been removed due to the increase in efficiency of modern equipment.

Pick the weight you can draw smoothly from a seated position. Way too many guys hunting with a weight that requires them to be hurky-jerky with their draw to get to full draw.

Comment

Good info. Just got my first bow as well. Id appreciate any recommendations on broad heads for 65lb. draw for deer up to 40 yards
                  Last edited by Nowhere Road; 08-06-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere Road View Post
                    Good info. Just got my first bow as well. Id appreciate any recommendations on broad heads for 65lb. draw for deer up to 40 yards
                    Smoke Ramcats, nuff said!

Playa said it right, if you cannot smoothly draw your bow from a seated position, then you are drawing too much weight.

Comment

I shoit a 50 lb draw, and I have used both fixed and expandables with no issues.

Comment

There are several on here including myself that have proven a 60lb bow can blow right through a lot bigger animals than our Texas whitetails. I've seen several recurve shooters mention using 45-50 lbs and harvesting deer with their bows that are not as efficient as compounds. Aim, arrow selection, broadhead, and tuning have a much bigger impact than draw weight on deer. I wouldn't hesitate at all to hunt a deer with a modern well tuned 50lb compound bow with 350-400 grain arrows and standard slick tricks out to about 35 yards.

Comment

I have been bow hunting 40+ years, have killed deer, hogs and exotics with a 52# bow with no problem, like most say, shot placement most important.

God Bless
                          Bish

Comment

I shoot 60 lb. I picked that weight because most of my hunting positions are sitting position. It's the most weight pull i fill comfortable pulling while sitting down and not killing myself.

Comment

The weight that is best for you. I found the best way to determine that was to sit in a chair and draw. When you can draw without making any noise or any movement other than straight back then you have the weight best for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X