For those with teenage drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those with teenage drivers

For all of us really, but teenagers don’t have the experience to truly understand the risk. Some of this article is typical sensationalism, but what we all need to pay attention to is the actual statistics. 640 die each year in Houston. Over 2800 more are injured.

Consider this, you are just as likely to be hurt or killed in Houston by a vehicle as you are by being shot in Chicago.

Drive defensively, keep them kiddos safe, and avoid the idiots.

My wife worries about everything our kids do. Whitewater rafting, water skiing, jet skiing, jumping off the boat house roof, possibly getting abducted and sold into sex trade, running with scissors....whatever. If my wife calls our kids, both teens and young adults, and they don't answer, she just assumes they are dead in a ditch somewhere....and panic ensues.

Me? I don't worry about much of anything, but putting my kids behind the wheel of a car or letting them in the car with another driver always scared the hell out of me. Still does.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
      My wife worries about everything our kids do. Whitewater rafting, water skiing, jet skiing, jumping off the boat house roof, possibly getting abducted and sold into sex trade, running with scissors....whatever. If my wife calls our kids, both teens and young adults, and they don't answer, she just assumes they are dead in a ditch somewhere....and panic ensues.

Me? I don't worry about much of anything, but putting my kids behind the wheel of a car or letting them in the car with another driver always scared the hell out of me. Still does.

My wife and I are on the same page with this. Son can crawl 40 foot up a tree and jump into the river and its not a big deal. Send him for a weekend of teenagers at a shooting event. Mehhh, have a good time and land a new GF with a ranch.

Dad can I drive home??....ho lee crap but pucker

Comment

I worry the same amount when my wife drives...
        its not that she or my oldest son are bad drivers..... its all the other people on the road that scare me... like apparently Quackerbox's kids just made the list....

Comment

Yup, always have to stay on your toes. Last week on he way home had a person swerve all the way into my lane head on and had to bail with the car behind me. Thankfully we both regained control but it happened real fast!

Comment

I don't even want to think about it. The part I read about the fire fighters having to hold him down so he didn't see his daughter as he ran on the scene about breaks my heart. I pray to god I'm never put in this position.

Comment

That's why I pay to take the HOV lanes in Houston. Taking the main lanes is like running a death trap every day.

I was in the emergency room one time with my son. He hurt his arm playing football. The ambulance brought in a teenage girl who had wrecked out on the hwy. She passed away. Ill never forget the look on those parents faces. I still pray for them and hope they somehow found peace.

Comment

My biggest worry about my daughter who is now 15 used to be that some dumb boy was gonna get her in trouble. When she turned 14 we started talking about drivers ed and getting her a vehicle at 16. Then it hit me. I am not scared about the boys anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                  My biggest worry about my daughter who is now 15 used to be that some dumb boy was gonna get her in trouble. When she turned 14 we started talking about drivers ed and getting her a vehicle at 16. Then it hit me. I am not scared about the boys anymore.
                  Oh, I still worry about those little SOBs too.

Comment

Oh, I still worry about those little SOBs too.
                    LOL! With boys you just worry about one little Richard, with girls you have to worry about too many Richards to count!

Comment

I don't mean to add fuel to the fire but there is now legislation in Congress to allow 18 yr. olds to acquire a cdl to drive big rigs because of the "driver shortage". ( I say that with tongue in cheek).
                      How do you think that's going to play when we have immature, steroid & testosterone fueled idiots driving 80,000 lb elephants.

Can you say road rage? Distracted driving? It frightens me to even consider it.

I don't have children and I feel you parents anguish.

Comment

Could not agree more

Comment

Our next door neighbor lost their 20 year old daughter 2 months ago to a single car accident. She drove straight off of a curve and hit a light pole with a concrete base. I hate to judge but it's obvious something was distracting her from watching the road. We have been heart broken for them and I have been at a loss of words every time I see them. Even our small talk ends up with how they are coping with their family loss. She will be mourned at this months TAMU Silver Taps.

Comment

Not that it matters much but all of my last 3 kids did not drive until 18 and out of high school. I think 16 is too young.

I will say though, the first 4 got their license at 16 so my reasoning is unsupported and unfounded, but we thought best for the last 3 to wait. PLUS, it made them have to tell me where they were, who they were with etc...since we had to pick them up. We did have to be willing to pick up the odd hours for school, events, etc. But I think it was worth it.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

We have all turned into a bunch of wimps. Hell my parents had no idea where I was when I was out-n-about. Did they worry? Hell if I know. But I doubt it. Live life as it is dealt to each of us.

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                              X