Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stiff sentence with this elk poaching case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How anyone is able to justify suggesting that the penalties were too stiff for this scum is beyond my comprehension? Makes you wonder what they are trying to justify?!

And, would their opinion change if the poached elk was actually a poached whitetail and the said crime occurred on or near their hunting grounds?

Comment

Got em

Comment

go buy a private landowner tag, hire a guide, buy all the gear that it takes to head up the mountain to shoot a top tier bull, then take the value of all the meat you get from that bull. Add up those numbers and tell me if $20k seems excessive.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
          How anyone is able to justify suggesting that the penalties were too stiff for this scum is beyond my comprehension? Makes you wonder what they are trying to justify?!

And, would their opinion change if the poached elk was actually a poached whitetail and the said crime occurred on or near their hunting grounds?
          I did not see anything in the article about losing hunting rights. But I hope they at least banned him from hunting for 10 years as well. He will never be able to gun hunt again.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post

I'm glad he was punished, but 20k seems pretty dang steep to me if it's his first offense.

If someone shot a deer on my place I would most certainly still think that 20k was an outrageous fine. It's an animal?

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
              If someone shot a deer on my place I would most certainly still think that 20k was an outrageous fine. It's an animal?
              Why? Its just money...

Comment

I'm glad he was punished, but 20k seems pretty dang steep to me if it's his first offense.

So let me understand....because "it's an animal" the fines and penalties should somehow be less stringent? Under that justification why should there be any game laws....they are only animals??? It's not like what the Durban did had any gray area. Believe me, everyone of us can make a mistake that leads to a ticket, but this crime was pretty obnoxious.

Comment

Elk meat is so dang tasty too. I cant imagine wasting all that meat.

Comment

Lol at all the people saying it was too heavy of a sentence when in other threads about poaching/trespassing they are saying SSS.

Reminds me of the two times I watched CNN, so contradictory and nonsensical.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                      Elk meat is so dang tasty too. I cant imagine wasting all that meat.
                      You want to talk about a lot of great meat being wasted...

Have you read anything about all of the Nilgai being slaughtered, from helicopters, and being left to rot??
                      All because of an impossible attempt to control a particular species of tick?

Amazingly stupid.

Comment

this thread is hilarious. someone trail cam pics of a poacher and starts a thread about it and all you see is "Kill all poachers!!" this guy actually got caught and all of the sudden the fine is too much? what happened to killing him? lol

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          You want to talk about a lot of great meat being wasted...

Have you read anything about all of the Nilgai being slaughtered, from helicopters, and being left to rot??
                          All because of an impossible attempt to control a particular species of tick?

Amazingly stupid.
                          No, that's insane. Antelope and Elk meat being wasted is beyond the pale.

Comment

All the "string him up" guys ignore the bolded part. That's all a few of us were stating is that we need more information. The article is lacking.

He was/is a guide. For what and where? And can he still guide? Other offenses or record of crimes? Was he legally hunting elk in Nevada and wasted the meat? Was it in season or out of season? Who was the guy with them?

Hopefully the judge had this info and made the right call.

Comment

everyone should know that crime typically has a consequence( unless your a clinton)
                              First offense or 10th, you know going in if your caught it could cost you dearly.

Comment

This article explains more. He deserved what he got.

ST. GEORGE — Following a multi-year elk poaching investigation, a Nevada judge has sentenced a Southern Utah man to pay more than $20,000 in penalties for the illegal killing and waste of a bull elk near Pioche, Nevada. In addition to the civil penalty, Judge Gary Fairman, of the 7th Judicial District Court, ordered Zackry […]

Comment

Working...
                                X