Pheasant recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant recipes?

My FIL was gracious enough to invite his SIL and future SIL’s on a pheasant hunting trip in Kansas early November and we cleaned up the birds! Pheasant hunting has ruined me.. I can’t wait to go back and do it all over again!

My question is, what are some good recipes that y’all have used? My wife and I are trying to be healthier but won’t shy from an occasional deliciousness!! Any help is appreciated!!

Here are some pics as proof of success and me, big sexy himself, lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spontaneity is what makes pheasant hunting so much fun. The best way to cook pheasants is to brine them in salt and sugar for 3 days, then another day in lime juice. Take them out of the fridge and let them warm for an hour, make a batter of flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Mix with a little water then throw the pheasant out, dip some chicken in the batter and fry. Truly excellent.

Comment

I like to split them down the back and cover them in BBQ sauce. I then put them with the breast up on the grill. I cook them almost fully from the back side so I don't dry out the breast. When they are about done, I flip them. The legs usually get over done, but they rest is great.

I have also put them in a turkey bag and baked them in the oven like a turkey.

Comment

I would start here: https://www.themeateater.com/

Comment

Battered and deep fat fried.

Comment

We always breasted them and put them in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup. Serve over rice.

Comment

They are really good stewed, I make them just like a pot roast but I flour and brown the pheasant first.

Comment

I ground a wild turkey breast this spring and made lettuce wraps with the meat using a recipe with sesame oil, soy sauce, Teriyaki sauce and ginger. Added some carrots, green onion, jalapeno, and zucchini while cooking. They were excellent. You could grind or slice thin the pheasant breasts and do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  The spontaneity is what makes pheasant hunting so much fun. The best way to cook pheasants is to brine them in salt and sugar for 3 days, then another day in lime juice. Take them out of the fridge and let them warm for an hour, make a batter of flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Mix with a little water then throw the pheasant out, dip some chicken in the batter and fry. Truly excellent.

You really don't know what your missing or Just don't know how to cook...

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                    We always breasted them and put them in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup. Serve over rice.
                    This, or cut into strips and chicken fry.

Comment

Pheasant strips. cut into 1/4" thick strips, dredge in buttermilk, cover in crushed soda cracker crumbs, throw in the hot grease. Serve with sweet-n-sour sauce. You're welcome.

Comment

Either spatchcock or leave whole. Rub with salt, sage, mint and pepper. I prefer a little cilantro but some like oregano instead. Slit the skin on the breast, thigh and near the wing joint, and pour a little bit of red wine in. In a separate pan, mix red wine and balsamic vinegar, then reduce down to a sauce. Put some of the sauce in the bird when your ready to cook it, breast side down in the oven. Check cook times based on size of bird. Then the last 15-30 minutes of cooking, breast side up and pour the rest of the sauce on.

Then eat fried chicken from the fridge. Jk the above recipe is delicious.

Comment

Anyway you like to cook chicken breasts will work. Just gotta be careful they don't dry out. A hunting club I've been to in Kansas serves a great pheasant pot pie made from scratch. I tried it at home from a recipe I found on the internet - really good.

Comment

Originally posted by DNTRanch View Post
                            You really don't know what your missing or Just don't know how to cook...
                            I assure you that I can cook. Of all game that I eat, I rank pheasants pretty low.

Comment

All these recipes sound awesome, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X