Kicking myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kicking myself

I took an hour to walk the last 150 yards to my stand. I borrowed my dad's night vision to watch for animals. I spooked a deer and thought it was a doe. Getting a half way decent look, I thought dang that's a big doe.

She would go 30 yards and blow. Then I moved 30 yards and she'd blow then move 30 yards. This went on until we got to my Hilton blind. I adjusted the night vision and with the open pasture, I could see it was the big buck I'm after. He's the biggest we've seen and this is the second year he's been here.

Kicking myself! I doubt I'll see him again today. I stayed downwind from him so he never smelled me, but man am I bummed. Maybe I should plan to come our at 3 am instead of 5 am.

Don't get down. You never know. He didn't smell you so he may very well come back. Sit as long and quiet as you can. Good luck!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Kicking myself

On the next hunt-
      Can you get someone to drop you off at the blind then drive off?
      Theoretically their attention will follow the noise of the vehicle as it leaves - thinking any threat went with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish could, Dave. It would save me heartache when I went to leave the blind at night

Comment

Another thing I do that seems to work, If a buck blows but you are downwind, a couple of gentle grunts while you walk will put them at ease. I have had them circle back after a bit because they are curious critters.

I am sure I am hunting, or thinking about hunting.

Comment

Since he didnt run off full blast he probably wasnt 100% sure what you were or think you were definitely a threat. If he was truly spooked he would have run out of sight. If thats the case he very well may come back later. They get spooked like that ( scared but not life threatened ) all the time.

Comment

Years ago when I was madder at the deer I had an old buck that spooked every time I walked to my stand. I'd get there an hour and a half before daylight and he would be near my feeder then blow and run away. I'd never see him while I was hunting. Finally I went to my stand about 10:00pm one night with a pillow and sleeping bag and spent the night. I woke up to the sound of corn crunching, and was able to finally get the buck I hunted so hard for.

Comment

Dont give up on him. I bumped a nice buck last sat morn on way out of blind in broad daylight, and then saw same buck late that same evening. If he didnt see you then I think you have a great chance at him being back fairly soon.
                Ive also stopped "sneaking" to blinds. I just walk normally. Obviously trying not to make a ton of noise, but also not sneaking. My thot is that in the dark if they can hear you comeing they just avoid you then go about their buis. I think this is better than startling them when snuck up on. Just my opionion tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Dillakilla View Post
                  Dont give up on him. I bumped a nice buck last sat morn on way out of blind in broad daylight, and then saw same buck late that same evening. If he didnt see you then I think you have a great chance at him being back fairly soon.
                  Ive also stopped "sneaking" to blinds. I just walk normally. Obviously trying not to make a ton of noise, but also not sneaking. My thot is that in the dark if they can hear you comeing they just avoid you then go about their buis. I think this is better than startling them when snuck up on. Just my opionion tho.
                  X2

I just get in and get it over with...make a little more noise st first but over faster

Comment

Wow! It wasn't him but an equally nice mature buck.

Something is walking around in the woods. Thick brush so I can't see anything. Probably hogs.
                    Last edited by Dusty Britches; 12-01-2022, 02:04 PM.

Comment

An injured 6 pt just walked by. Minor injury in his right front foot . He's not legal. I think he bedded down in the brush.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                        Since he didnt run off full blast he probably wasnt 100% sure what you were or think you were definitely a threat. If he was truly spooked he would have run out of sight. If thats the case he very well may come back later. They get spooked like that ( scared but not life threatened ) all the time.
                        This.

I had a doe do the same thing. She saw me move and blew then ran 20 yards and stopped. Came back and did the same thing. Then finally she came back to the food plot for 30 mins. So there's a decent chance your buck could come back.

Comment

At least you're not kicking yourself for staying up all night by the fire drinking beer and not even getting up for the morning hunt...who could do such a thing??

Me!

Comment

I know the feeling. Hope he comes back. Get you some Absorbine JR.

Comment

I always used to be a big advocate for no light on the morning walk to the stand. Almost stepped on a rattler so I started using a headlight pointing it low to the ground on warm mornings. One time I shined it up to feeder and a deer was there and only stared at the light. It didn't spook it just walked off. Came back twenty minutes later and fed the remainder of the morning. Been doing the flashlight thing every since. Haven't got blown at since. The result has been the same. With light, they can't figure out what you are. Just my way of doing it. It also works when they won't leave so you can out the stand.

Comment

Working...
                              X