Eastland county food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eastland county food plot

we are right on the border of eastland and callahan counties near cross plains. Last year we planted wheat and oats, but only the wheat came up. It grew well and came up to about 2 feet. What else could we mix with the wheat since our oats didnt come up?

Hogkiller. My place is very close to yours in Cisco. I've used the seed blend from Turners Seed in Breckenridge for 6 years now. Works really well if you get rain. My wheat, oats, vetch and turnips came in really good this past season. Heres the link to their site. http://www.turnerseed.com/site/WildLifeMix.asp Look at the 2010 winter deer mix.

Comment

It was either too dry, or planted too deep. Oats should do well there, but wheat is the more common grain in that area.

Comment

we might have planted too deep. how are turnips with not much rain?

Comment

I'd check out Austrian Winter Peas or Whistler Peas... I'd stick with wheat/oats/peas.. Thats my plan anyway.. Seed store in Justin has good prices though I'm sure there are other places on your way..

Comment

Originally posted by Leftridge View Post
            I'd check out Austrian Winter Peas or Whistler Peas... I'd stick with wheat/oats/peas.. Thats my plan anyway.. Seed store in Justin has good prices though I'm sure there are other places on your way..
            i was thinking peas too for early season, we use lawrances in cross plains

Comment

oats

Comment

Clay & Iron over winter peas (in my opinion, and experience), My deer have low preference on winter peas....but it was the prettiest plot I ever grew.

Lots of people plant turnips, and in my opinion they are not much benefit in Texas. They only time I have ever seen deer eat them in Texas was in the panhandle in the last week of season. And they were still picking through them and preferring wheat at that time. They work great up north when it comes a hard freeze by november.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  Clay & Iron over winter peas (in my opinion, and experience), My deer have low preference on winter peas....but it was the prettiest plot I ever grew.

Lots of people plant turnips, and in my opinion they are not much benefit in Texas. They only time I have ever seen deer eat them in Texas was in the panhandle in the last week of season. And they were still picking through them and preferring wheat at that time. They work great up north when it comes a hard freeze by november.
                  since our oats didnt come up wheat and a pea mix? i have heard cowpeas... grazing wont be a big issue we only have 4-5 deer on the property at one time

Comment

I would not give up on the oats just because they failed last year. Also are you sure they didnt, its hard to telll the difference in the winter between the two when deer are browsing

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                      I would not give up on the oats just because they failed last year. Also are you sure they didnt, its hard to telll the difference in the winter between the two when deer are browsing
                      yep there wasnt much browsing

Comment

For your location, I would plant : 25-50# c&i cow peas (if you dont have a lot of deer pressure...you will), 50# oats, 50# wheat per acre. Oats will be the second choice after the peas are gone, and they are way to cheap to not add to the mix ($10-$12 a bag), Winter Wheat will be next choice, followed by other cereal grains and grasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          For your location, I would plant : 25-50# c&i cow peas (if you dont have a lot of deer pressure...you will), 50# oats, 50# wheat per acre. Oats will be the second choice after the peas are gone, and they are way to cheap to not add to the mix ($10-$12 a bag), Winter Wheat will be next choice, followed by other cereal grains and grasses.
                          thanks

Comment

The deer do like the turnips. But they won't eat them them until late in the season when we have had some good hard freezes. Besides, what they don't eat, I do. Good for ya!

Comment

Working...
                            X