We Land On Mars at 1pmCT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    I can't wait to see how this guy's garden is doing....

What if a person made the trip and forgot to bring a camera?

Comment

Touch down!!!

Comment

Good landing..............

Comment

6 points!

Comment

What a monumental waste of money and and resources...
            Nope - that money was well spent. All of the contractors and sub-contractors who were involved with this project made money. Which freed this TAX PAYER FUNDED INVESTMENT from the hands of BS Politicians and actually moved it into the hands of fabricators, scientists and engineers who have spent countless dollars of their own monies to educate themselves to a point, they are worthy enough to work on a machine this complex.

I look at R&D projects related to SPACE AND SCIENCE as big ear marks in the USA's world-wide investment and control/domination of the world's HIGH TECH Industry.

The US Military has benefited from thousands upon thousands of projects related to SPACE EXPLORATION Science. What's to say we don't send a remotely managed base station to MARS that can manage and control TECHNICAL COUNTER MISSILE DEFENSE SYSTEMS from a location the Russian, Chinese and North Korean....much less Sandbox folks can't touch?

Got to think out of the box.......sending something up there and letting it sit and run on the surface of MARS, remotely managing other SPACE OBJECTS from a location, out of the realistic reach of any country.

Or a communication relay point - where a small system sits on MARS, and retransmit data to other objects in farther orbit away from earth? Could be a telecommunications relay point for wireless networks....where Mars is a hop from earth with the object we need to communicate to, further away in space?

See where I'm going with this..........

How does it feel CHINA & RUSSIA?!?!?!?!?! - SUCK ARSE - USA USA USA !!!!!!!

Way off the mark on this view point DMO.
            Last edited by AtTheWall; 11-26-2018, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Enough said....

Love me some tang. Orange drinks are good too. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it's important to keep pushing our selves in the sciences including space exploration. I would like to see NASA do more work on landing and mining of asteroids for rare earth elements. Also, research and development of space planes and new engines for space travel are worth while goals.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                  Nope - that money was well spent. All of the contractors and sub-contractors who were involved with this project made money. Which freed this TAX PAYER FUNDED INVESTMENT from the hands of BS Politicians and actually moved it into the hands of fabricators, scientists and engineers who have spent countless dollars of their own monies to educate themselves to a point, they are worthy enough to work on a machine this complex.

I look at R&D projects related to SPACE AND SCIENCE as big ear marks in the USA's world-wide investment and control/domination of the world's HIGH TECH Industry.

The US Military has benefited from thousands upon thousands of projects related to SPACE EXPLORATION Science. What's to say we don't send a remotely managed base station to MARS that can manage and control TECHNICAL COUNTER MISSILE DEFENSE SYSTEMS from a location the Russian, Chinese and North Korean....much less Sandbox folks can't touch?

Got to think out of the box.......sending something up there and letting it sit and run on the surface of MARS, remotely managing other SPACE OBJECTS from a location, out of the realistic reach of any country.

Or a communication relay point - where a small system sits on MARS, and retransmit data to other objects in farther orbit away from earth? Could be a telecommunications relay point for wireless networks....where Mars is a hop from earth with the object we need to communicate to, further away in space?

See where I'm going with this..........

How does it feel CHINA & RUSSIA?!?!?!?!?! - SUCK ARSE - USA USA USA !!!!!!!

Way off the mark on this view point DMO.
                  I won't clog up the thread arguing each point, because it is very cool that they were able to do what they did.

But I'd still argue there are far more realistic benefits that could be realized with all that $$.

In no particular order: Improving our public education system at ground level, better compensating our servicemen and women, better equiping our military to avoid PTSD, helping our military deal with existing PTSD, cancer research, cancer fighting equipment, and a myriad of other more worthy causes.

Carry on.

Comment

Dale we could accomplish all the important things you listed if we just required everyone to work for a living, make parents behave like parents encourage basic research etc. As to PTSD sorry, no way to prevent it, maybe ways to cope with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      In no particular order: Improving our public education system at ground level, better compensating our servicemen and women, better equiping our military to avoid PTSD, helping our military deal with existing PTSD, cancer research, cancer fighting equipment, and a myriad of other more worthy causes.
                      I agree, and am glad to see we are dumping massive amounts of money in those things as we speak. But if this was the case made to scrap space exploration...then I don't think there would ever be a point where we would say "ok all taken care of...now back to space exploration". The list would just get replaced with up and coming issues. I think it would be gone for good along with all the technology that could have been. Just my 2cents

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                        Hope they got feet and meters sorted out I may be in the minority, but I think its still a worthwhile endeavor. The reason is for me, its humanity still dreaming, still reaching. When you stop dreaming..... what's the point of any of it? Take it with a grain of salt, as it comes from someone who is a dreams to a fault.
                        Agreed..... No telling what doors it could open for future generations.

Comment

I won't clog up the thread arguing each point, because it is very cool that they were able to do what they did.

But I'd still argue there are far more realistic benefits that could be realized with all that $$.

Carry on.
                          Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Carry on.
                            Better equipping military: US technological air superiority is the biggest edge the US has over any other country. Where do you think much of the knowledge about aerodynamics, missiles, jet engines, and rockets comes from? NASA and its private contractors.

Helping military veterans: NASA work in robotics and shock absorption materials has lead to advances in prosthesis.

Cancer: LED technology used by NASA was licensed for treating tumors.

There's tons of applications for the technologies NASA and its private contractors develop that are applicable to many other areas. There's also tons of information we learn about physics from space experimentation, and the more we know about physics, the more we can apply that information to the development of new technologies.

There's plenty of other programs in the budget that provide no benefits that we should cut before even thinking about NASA.

Comment

What a monumental waste of money and and resources...
                              Smartest thing you ever posted

Comment

Carry on.
                                I think it's cool and all, but would be nice to see how some of those dollars could be spent on our own - educators, service men and women, etc.
                                Billions of dollars has been raised for cancer research and they still haven't found a cure...or have they? A good portion of the medical field is built around cancer. Not sure they want a cure, especially big pharma.

Comment

Working...
                                X