Long Range Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Range Help

I have been playing with my 6.5 creedmoor and I am shooting the groups in the picture pretty consistent at 300 yards. Measurements are center to center of bullet holes top to bottom left to right. I have a bedding kit on the table to glass bed the rifle. I am thinking the reason my multi shot strings are grouped the way they are is from some slight movement in the stock. 2 almost touch maybe one other close then another 2-3 grouped close together. My question is am I on the right path or thinking right saying that is probably from a little movement in the stock?
    Attached Files

Is gun glass bedded and free floated that would be my next move.

Comment

Parallax adjustment in the scope

Comment

^^^my thoughts too.

Comment

Comment

[QUOTE=DuramaxDude;11958876]I have been playing with my 6.5 creedmoor and I am shooting the groups in the picture pretty consistent at 300 yards. Measurements are center to center of bullet holes top to bottom left to right. I have a bedding kit on the table to glass bed the rifle. I am thinking the reason my multi shot strings are grouped the way they are is from some slight movement in the stock. 2 almost touch maybe one other close then another 2-3 grouped close together. My question is am I on the right path or thinking right saying that is probably from a little movement in the stock

I could show you probably 50 groups that have that same pattern. Two almost touching and one stray. When I was working up a load for my 22-250. Everything I've read says it's a powder problem. Adjust your powder in tenths and see if the group comes together. It's frustrating but when you find the "right" powder and the "right" amount of it, you will know without a doubt. I don't believe it has anything to do with your stock. 3 shot groups shouldn't have that much affect on your point of impact. Unless you have a super light barrel.

Comment

Little gun movement, but good groups. 1inch group at 109, 2 inch group at 200 etc...

Comment

what are you aiming at? If your target spot is not small enough, the slightest movement still on the bullseye could cause you to be moving bullets.

Comment

How long are you letting the barrell cool between shots?

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Comment

Vertical dispersion can be breathing or your load. Do you have a low extreme spread in ou velocity? Glass and pillar bedding the action will help too with consistency. Just some thoughts on variables.

Comment

'Vertical dispersion paired with horizontal shift' at longer range can easily be caused by rifle cant. (which converts your dialed holdover into windage) Are you using a scope level? How do you guarantee you are level each time?

I second the question on POA. What are you shooting at? If you, even slightly "chase" your previous impacts, even the .1Mil or 1/8MOA resolution of your scope can cause you to chain almost 3/4" at 300 yards over 3 shots.

During load development, I put a quality stick on target dot (with vertical and horizontal crosshairs) and level it with a bubble level when I apply to my target board. Then dial my scope to set the POI an inch or more low, so that I never shoot out my POA. If you shoot out your POA, your group will open up.

Comment

Ooor yall could be overcomplicating it...

How fast arecypu shooting the shots and what is contour of the barrel, heat could cause that much stringing at 300

Comment

Sorry, switched to tapatalk for photo....

Example of level target spot, dialed low to maintain POA.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by howabouttheiris; 11-30-2016, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                            what are you aiming at? If your target spot is not small enough, the slightest movement still on the bullseye could cause you to be moving bullets.
                            Dime size dot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                              How long are you letting the barrell cool between shots?

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
                              Those are the first 6 out of the barrel. So one right after the other no real rest between shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X