Bad Boy Buggy Rebuild With Lithium Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Boy Buggy Rebuild With Lithium Batteries

I have a 2010 Bad Boy Buggy XT. It has been well used and abused. After the last set of cheap Energizer batteries died I let it sit (for like 2 years). I finally brought it back from the ranch and started taring it down. Out side of Brown Recluses, Black Widows and lots of chewed up wires it is in pretty good shape.
    I actually had to cut out the battery frame because of corrosion. That is not a big deal as the Lithium solution will have a custom frame.

When new I could get about 12-15 miles per charge through rough up and down terrain. With the crappy Sams batteries I was getting like 8-10.

It is a 48 volt dual motor system.

I will be putting in 150ah Lithium battery pack. This will give me 7200Wh. Compared to the factory 12kw this should give me a lot more usable range.
    Lithiums allow for near full discharge where lead acid discharge to at best 50%. I will also be shedding 480lbs.

My goal is to push 25 miles per charge. Due to the dual motor setup I am toying with putting in dual 120ah batteries. Currently working with multiple lithium vendors to see how we can do this. If I used each pack to power its own motor I would not have to deal with balancing the cells between packs. This would give me close to 50 miles per charge.

here is what I am starting with.

If you go to the Buggies gone wild website there are people that can answer all of your questions!

Comment

Yes. I found that group while researching. Lots of good folks on that page, very helpful.

Comment

Two 150ah @ 48v batteries are going to make it a pretty dang expensive setup. Other than that, sounds like a plan!

Comment

watching this one. Take lots of pics please

Comment

Last Night I was able to get the motors and motor controllers tested and they are all good. Winch and lights also work.

I damaged both solenoids removing the wires so that is my 1st $140. The good thing is it seems all the corrosion stops there.

Tare down is taking some time as I have to carefully diagram every wire its connection and size.

Any thoughts on an easy way to pop the rivets that hold the skin together. Unlike my 4 wheelers and my son's razor that use those simple plastic screw rivets, this thing is held together with metal rivets. Right now my only solution is to drill them out.

EVBatterycenter.com is the place where I am leaning towards purchasing the batteries and battery control module. Instead of purchasing 4 12volt packs and risking struggling with keeping the cell balanced. They make custom packs My price will range from $2500 for the 6400wh pack (this will get me close to 20 mile per charge all the way to $5000 for a dual pack. however I am thinking now about using 2 4200wh packs driving each motor independently. This will take me close to 40 miles per charge. That package would cost $3000. Still working with their designers on what is the most efficient package for the money.

If I bought new Trojan T145s I would be spending close to $1600 plus $225 for the hydro link watering system.

My original plan was to scrap this and buy a Kawasaki Mule but decided I would give this a shot. Hopefully I am not throwing away good money.

Comment

Why run dual motors? I would redesign to run only 1 motor. Most golf carts will move through mud with no issue due to there weight. Thoughts?

Comment

depending on the rivet size we just use a drill bit for that size rivet and they pop right out, then go back with the same size . we've been doing it on aluminum race car bodies for years and works fine

Comment

Matt C I have thought about that. The 4 Wheel drive is nice. I have never been stuck using the bad boy and I have been through some thick stuff. Our current lease has a lot of crop land with thick black mud. You do bring up a thought though. Running 2 packs and a larger pack for the rear wheels and smaller one for the front, with a 2 wheel, 4 wheel switch. I would have to play with the front diff to ensure I do not damage it pushing it with out power. May be more work than i want to tackle.

Comment

Nice ride

Comment

Following

Comment

See if you can find some pictures of the Bad Boy Instinct it is 2wd. It uses stub axles but the frame is set up for 4wd.

Comment

Yep, those rivets look like the same size as my ezgo I just rebuilt here in the DIY section. Easy as heck just to drill em out. I'm curious tho, what's the size of the speed controller? I'm assuming it has one just like a golf cart.

Comment

Uses dual Sevcon controllers. This might be an issue if either one does not work. I called Altex and they said they had no way to program 2 controllers to work off 1 throttle. Textron the company that bought Bad Boy has basically told me they could care less about anyone who bought a Bad Boy before 2012. So fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had to google that controller but two 500 amp controllers sounds awesome!! Heck of some torque!! Anyway, guess I'll shut up and just follow along cuz that's past my knowledge level. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X