Euro in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
    What do you use to degrease and Whiten? I'm always looking to learn something new from someone that knows more than my self.
    If I did it only as a hobby (rather than a business) I'd be happy to share on a public forum. As it stands, you'd have to catch me over a beer and in a generous mood to share secrets. There is a very well known business (you ALL know it) whose owners came to my shop one time under the guise of wanting me to make them mesquite furniture. They were blown away by the skulls and we spent an hour talking about the process. Never heard another word about their "furniture order", but I did hear from a friend of a friend that they are now doing their own skulls.

What I find interesting is that most taxidermists learn their processes from another taxidermist. When I started doing skulls, I went to a museum currator and picked up a method I've never seen on a hunting or taxidermist forum.

Seems soaking for several weeks with Dawn works ok for the degreasing. The Sally's Beauty Supply hair bleach also gets the right results.

Comment

I shot a buck on Saturday and cut the head and I'm deciding on wether not I want to do a euro. I have the head cut off with skin still on. What kind of prep do I need to do to either boil or rid-x the skull?

Comment

Originally posted by baldybarton View Post
        I shot a buck on Saturday and cut the head and I'm deciding on wether not I want to do a euro. I have the head cut off with skin still on. What kind of prep do I need to do to either boil or rid-x the skull?
        Skin it, remove eyes and as much meat as possible and then have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
          If I did it only as a hobby (rather than a business) I'd be happy to share on a public forum. As it stands, you'd have to catch me over a beer and in a generous mood to share secrets. There is a very well known business (you ALL know it) whose owners came to my shop one time under the guise of wanting me to make them mesquite furniture. They were blown away by the skulls and we spent an hour talking about the process. Never heard another word about their "furniture order", but I did hear from a friend of a friend that they are now doing their own skulls.

What I find interesting is that most taxidermists learn their processes from another taxidermist. When I started doing skulls, I went to a museum currator and picked up a method I've never seen on a hunting or taxidermist forum.

Seems soaking for several weeks with Dawn works ok for the degreasing. The Sally's Beauty Supply hair bleach also gets the right results.
          Fair enough. If your ever in my neck of the woods hit me up. I like to drink beer. And i love what i do for a living... Even though the pay its terrible and the hours are long... So there is no chance of me ever being a competitor... Just a poor coach that can't hardly afford all i try to do so DIY are about my favorite 3 letters.

Comment

Deal!

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Looks good

Comment

If I gag, that's it. I turn insideout. Think ill stick to boilin.

Comment

Empty and refill once a week.
                      Remember to keep a little of the soup in the bucket each time you pour out and refill. That way you don't have to start all over growing all the little bacteria
                      that help the process.

Or so I've been told so that's what I do.

Comment

Been calling taxidermys about a mount like these getting quotes from $150 to $200 not saying they ain't deserving of their money I just like to put my money in more hunting stuff :-).This looks like the way I may go now I got to get the deer lol.Thanks for posting.

Comment

I mascerated a pig skull this year.

Works great. I am clear coating it as we speak.

Empty and refill once a week.

Will post pics when I'm done.

What I did with my pig skull was put it in a large bucket with about 2 cups of Dawn. Waited a week to change everything out...man I thought I was going to retch up my lower intestine on that one. Again another week and 2 cups of Dawn...changing that one wasn't as bad. Third week everything was degreased and clean. I got some peroxide from the beauty store, I think it was the 40% type, and put that on for a week. They have it in cream form so you can cover it all. The only question I have is how do you put the lower jaw back on the skull when you are all done? It has fallen off twice on me now...maybe it is due to poor gluing or something.
                          Last edited by cshall999; 11-12-2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Looks great. I might have to give this a try!

Comment

Originally posted by cshall999 View Post
                              What I did with my pig skull was put it in a large bucket with about 2 cups of Dawn. Waited a week to change everything out...man I thought I was going to retch up my lower intestine on that one. Again another week and 2 cups of Dawn...changing that one wasn't as bad. Third week everything was degreased and clean. I got some peroxide from the beauty store, I think it was the 40% type, and put that on for a week. They have it in cream form so you can cover it all. The only question I have is how do you put the lower jaw back on the skull when you are all done? It has fallen off twice on me now...maybe it is due to poor gluing or something.
                              This one i buried and dug up later then clear coated... But, i used hanger wire and an eye screw to hold the lower jaw on. Put 2 eye screws in the lower jaw wrap the hanger wire over the top on that hole there and re attach to the other.. Now swivels open and you can position however you want.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Just put this one in the bucket.

This time i know better and i will only refill.. Not dump out and refill.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X