"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by palirwin View Post
    Not sure if you are directing that question to me, but I don't know what tree you are talking about.
    Lol. No luck with the tree Wud. I was flying solo but may make a trip this sat and see what I can do. Should be good weather for it.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
      your gps problem might be a datum shift. Google earth uses the wgs84 datum. If your GPS is set to a different datum, like say nad83, you will be off by about 200 yards. Normally there is a selection menu on your gps that will allow you to choose datums.
      Hmmm....I am not techy by any means. I will have to check that out. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
        Lol. No luck with the tree Wud. I was flying solo but may make a trip this sat and see what I can do. Should be good weather for it.
        I agree, should be perfect weather. A light rain to soften up your foot steps, and able to see whats been recently traveled. Good luck out there.

Comment

i will tell you that i have killed 15 or so hogs at Granger in the past 5 years, it is not easy, what i will tell you is that i have never killed one in the morning or mid-day, always right before dark!!!!!always!!!!!!75% of the time i could barely see the hogs and my pins, 50% was to bait a spot far away from everyone else utilizing my 16 ft lowe and 28 hp johnson to get to it, the other was walk and stalk, and or sit in a tree !!!!most of the pigs are bedding on private and feeding on public at night!!!!!FERAL hogs hearing and sense of smell are compared to elk and whitetail!!!!!the only reason you see the deer at granger is because they see you everyday and aren't scared of you in that hunter orange!!!!!!alot of times hogs at granger will break out of the brush at the last minute, and scare the crap out of you, i haven't been able to hit one running with my bowtech yet in the past years. IF you want to better your chances only hunt an hour before dark at granger!!!!get on craigslist and buy you a decent flatbottom boat and motor, you can cover thousands of more acres than the guys parking and walking, cover scent works, but just hunt with the wind in your face if possible, hog calls and esrus sow don't work at granger!!!!catching baby piglets after the sow has ran away from you and putting them in your backpacks and shaking them to squeal does'nt work!!!!find the inner indian in you and go kill some pigs, take a buddy with you!!!it's no fun to chase pigs at granger alone!!!!also they did not have a helo hunt this year so that usual 100 or so pigs that they eliminate every year will be breeding and having another litter at granger!!!!i always find piglets at granger in feb march every year!!!also you need to be shooting a good broadhead and arrow to kill hogs at granger, not the allen wal-mart specials!!!

Comment

for some reason pigletts in a trash can brings pigs into camp.......

Comment

they should have fattened those up to about 100 pounds b4 cooking....i used to put them in the pockets of my cargo pants to try to get the sow to come after me, every step those little boogers would squeal but it didn't work, the sows at granger have a couple litters per year of 4 to 10 piglets from what i have seen through the years and the ones with the stripes have the russian boar genetics....really cute, i raised some up one year with the stripes and they turn into a pretty gold brown color.

Comment

I wanted to take one home to fatten up. Actually so my daughter could play with it till I took it to a girl that would of fattened it up, and then given me some not so wild hog meat. However... those boys were hungry. Who am I to step in between a man and his meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                  I wanted to take one home to fatten up. Actually so my daughter could play with it till I took it to a girl that would of fattened it up, and then given me some not so wild hog meat. However... those boys were hungry. Who am I to step in between a man and his meal.
                  A MF might get himself drowned trying to make a pet out of the food. From what I hear. Just saying.....

Comment

funny!!!!i would have caught plenty of fish to feed the guys, i own that lake if you know what i mean, i'll bet they were hungry though!!!!!!next year i am going to the grxh!!!

Comment

Granger deserves more of my time. 2 1/2 hour 126 mile drive one way keep that to a minimum though. Plan to put a ladder and stink stick in an out of the way spot for repeat visits. Stink Stick will be a PVC pipe with the top left open, few holes drilled around the bottm to let the mush ouze out and then just pour in "whatever" and let it ferment. Beer soured rotten corn, peanut butter, ice cream, jello, pickle juice, coke, ???????
                      Last edited by Wudstix; 03-08-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                        Attached Files

Comment

Viper; might be up that way towards the end of the month. Granger or a ranch a bit farther North; Texas Hog Holler III.
                          Last edited by Wudstix; 03-08-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Viper outside chance I'll get over there this week. Trying to get to Austin 3-D shot this weekend.

Comment

i wasnt feeling good yesterday so i didnt head out.

Comment

I'll call u if I head that way towards the end of the week.

Comment

Working...
                                X